What’s a good roof top tent and rack?

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
Looking into getting a tent and rack and wondering what everyone recommends. Let’s see your set ups
Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
I ended up getting the Tuwa Pro rack. Height adjustable below at and above the roofline. Not my truck but the same rack they are a sponsor on here check them out. I had a great experience with them. Great overall customer service.
Jeep Gladiator What’s a good roof top tent and rack? Jeep_Gladiator_bedrack_-_IN_cam_rear.001_copy_a9d57ade-53d0-4784-ba8f-bde879e78d57_1200x630

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I agonized over racks but ultimately decided to use an ALuCab Canopy as it provides the security and "cleanliness" that just a rack does not. The canopy has rails on the top that the AluCab low profile feet (there are other height feet available as well) bolt into and I have a James Baroud Evasion RTT.
Jeep Gladiator What’s a good roof top tent and rack? 01_LiftedGladiator

Jeep Gladiator What’s a good roof top tent and rack? 16_CampSet

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
Subbed for the Rack as I am in the market myself. I can make a tent recommendation and say the 23Zero Walkabout is a great choice. Here it is in action on my previous ride:

Jeep Gladiator What’s a good roof top tent and rack? EB90091E-5592-40A4-8271-4487561959CB
Jeep Gladiator What’s a good roof top tent and rack? 95B5C4BE-F909-4EFC-9E18-73270B3C85F1

Sponsored

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Tepui & JCR Offroad bedrack on mine.

On the road I see a lot of Tepui, CVT, 23North, and Freespirit tents. Hardshell tents are rare.

Smittybilt looks like Tepui and and handful of others, but is the least expensive, iirc.

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Jeep Gladiator What’s a good roof top tent and rack? IMG_0206.JPG
Jeep Gladiator What’s a good roof top tent and rack? TentRack2.JPG

MaxModular aluminum rack, love it. To do over, I would get the longer rack and the offset brackets. It is one of the few racks that is high enough to get the tent over the roof without needing spacers.
TorroOffRoad RTT. The tent is good, the annex has geometry problems. Their QC has gone downhill and they are way behind on production. Not to mention it is simply a rip-off of the ikamper but was half the price.

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Jeep Gladiator What’s a good roof top tent and rack? IMG_0149.JPG

First rack was a Werner from Lowes. Rated for 800 lbs. and worked fine.

HjStrater

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Operations
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Gladiator What’s a good roof top tent and rack? 5201CDDC-2434-4611-812F-2AA7AF0C7432
Jeep Gladiator What’s a good roof top tent and rack? 30F88E54-2441-48B8-93C7-0FEC14E4180B

Overland Vehicle Systems Nomadic 3 fits over the bed perfectly at 63”and is good quality.

Its a step above some of the entry level tents as it has the diamond plate metal base, nice mattress and the full telescoping ladder. I was able to knock a good chunk off with the discount code VinceDPrince (some dudes Instagram handle)

My “rack” is Elevate TS bed rails with Frontrunner load bars so that I could keep my tonneau cover.

Sponsored

DirtyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Leitner ACS Classic and Centori tent.... Pretty happy with this set up.
Jeep Gladiator What’s a good roof top tent and rack? 20210712_093626

Ageek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 High Altitude
I am using the Rebel Off Road Xplor half height rack with a Thule Tepui Ayer 2 tent.

So far I am very happy with the setup.
Jeep Gladiator What’s a good roof top tent and rack? IMG_0460
Jeep Gladiator What’s a good roof top tent and rack? IMG_0436

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I hemmed and hawed about what RTT to get. I watched videos asked questions and weighed prices and all that. My conclusion is they are all about the same. I ended up getting, and only because it was already attached to the offroad trailer I was buying, a Tepui Kukenam (I think ruggedized version). My wife was out of town this week and its just me and the two youngest girls and we "camped out" in the yard last night with it. they are 6 and 7 and they packed no less than 62 pillows, blankets, 100 dolls and beds for them. We fit fine. In fact I think we could probably have fit one more adult and maybe a teenager if we had planned out the floorspace better. MY family isnt big. Im like 5'6", everyone is at least shorter than I am.
I say all this to say look at the measured (when open) interior space and measure that out on the floor and see if you can make it work. Our mattress comes out and I can easily replace it or clean it etc.
All of them have some sort of gimmick "fastest setup time" "completely dark" etc. Just figure out what size you need and get one with the features you want.
I wouldn't turn down a 23zero walkabout or any of the other big names.

Levi.Butler

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Engineer
I've got a pretty complex setup... but I absolutely love it.

I've got a Diamondback tonneau cover with the Front Runner rack system for it with a ROAM tent and awning. I've still got room for 2 mountain bikes on it too. Whole system comes off in one piece too... just attach straps to the crossbars and lift.

Jeep Gladiator What’s a good roof top tent and rack? 20210714_172351

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
I've got a pretty complex setup... but I absolutely love it.

I've got a Diamondback tonneau cover with the Front Runner rack system for it with a ROAM tent and awning. I've still got room for 2 mountain bikes on it too. Whole system comes off in one piece too... just attach straps to the crossbars and lift.

Jeep Gladiator What’s a good roof top tent and rack? 20210714_172351
I think that unless you want to leave your RTT on your truck 365, having a good plan to remove and store your tent and maybe even your rack is a must. If you have the ceiling space, a lift in the garage would make your setup awesome. (and I suspect that you have already done it) Hardshell tents may hold up well on the roof, but I can see constant wind on a daily driver tearing up soft tent covers and RTTs are too expensive to tear up on a daily driver.
Sponsored