Sponsored

What’s something like that cost?

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
I get many compliments on my JT but 3 times in the last 2 days I have had people (guys) ask me “what does something like that cost?” Twice it was at a red light. Not sure how to begin even having that conversation at a 30 second red light. Once was at home depot. In each case I was caught off guard and didnt really answer. Were these folks even expecting a number? Or was it some sort of compliment? If I figured it up and had a figure handy I am not sure that would be the End of the conversation. What would you say if some random stranger just asked in passing “how much does something like that cost”? I think in the future I will just reply with “if you have to ask, you can’t afford it”
Sponsored

Hamandcamo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinto
Occupation
Actor
Lol have you ever interacted with a stranger before. Odds are, they were genually curious because they were doing a price compare on what theyve been quoted/heard. They probably liked yours and respected you enough to ask instead of googling it.
It really depends on who's asking (age, sex, demographic, rural, urban, etc). I have been asked that question about 15 times, normally by older good ol boys who have had their minitrucks since the 90's and want to upgrade one last time, or dudes in their early 30's who want it for the same reason we all did. One dude spoke with me while at a gaspump for about 10 minutes about it, then I saw him about a month later in one that was my color but a mojave. I dont blame them for asking, modern car journals dont really ooze integrity and it usually segways into a deeper convo about your experiences with such a newly designed vehicle.

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
I get many compliments on my JT but 3 times in the last 2 days I have had people (guys) ask me “what does something like that cost?” Twice it was at a red light. Not sure how to begin even having that conversation at a 30 second red light. Once was at home depot. In each case I was caught off guard and didnt really answer. Were these folks even expecting a number? Or was it some sort of compliment? If I figured it up and had a figure handy I am not sure that would be the End of the conversation. What would you say if some random stranger just asked in passing “how much does something like that cost”? I think in the future I will just reply with “if you have to ask, you can’t afford it”
It’s not complicated or a trick question. :CWL:

What’s the big deal? It’s just a number and they're curious. I just give them the average range of what my particular vehicle costs.

OP
OP
FLUndertaker

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s not complicated or a trick question. :CWL:

What’s the big deal? It’s just a number and their curious. I just give them the average range of what my particular vehicle costs.
I think I’ll just start using $50k as my stock answer without any additional detail.

Sponsored

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
I've only been asked once while in my JT. But, I've been asked it many, many times when I'm in one of my other vehicles. I try to feel them out if they are a genuine car guy/gal or just a nosy person.

If they are genuine, I give them the legit answer. If they appear to just be nosy and trying to gauge my worth, I reply " about $33 per pound". If they are quick enough to ask how much it weighs, I say "about 1406 kilograms". They always look at me puzzled. :giggle:

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
I think I’ll just start using $50k as my stock answer without any additional detail.
I just say around 50k to 60k on average depending on options.

aceisback

Banned
Banned
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
DoD (forced to resign courtesy of FJB), Retired Marine
If they are genuine, I give them the legit answer. If they appear to just be nosy and trying to gauge my worth, I reply " about $33 per pound". If they are quick enough to ask how much it weighs, I say "about 1406 kilograms". They always look at me puzzled. :giggle:
So I used your own math and came up with your particular JT costing around $102,000. I would really like to know how you shaved all of that weight?
Then I used your math with the average weight of a JT and it comes to around $201,000.
All’s I can say is some of y’all have some pricey rigs. And lightweight too!

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
So I used your own math and came up with your particular JT costing around $102,000. I would really like to know how you shaved all of that weight?
Then I used your math with the average weight of a JT and it comes to around $201,000.
All’s I can say is some of y’all have some pricey rigs. And lightweight too!
"I've only been asked once while in my JT. But, I've been asked it many, many times when I'm in one of my other vehicles. I try to feel them out if they are a genuine car guy/gal or just a nosy person."

Other vehicles.... as in not my JT. But yes, your $102,000 is about right for that other vehicle.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
When I got my Gladiator right after launch in early 2019, A week or even a few days did not go by I would be asked about my Gladiator and how much? Usually would be when stopped filling up for gas and some old fuddy duddy that has not bought a new vehicle since 1996 would ask what they cost and when told, would choke when I gave them the price.

Nowadays, I just say "they are expensive" and leave it at that . If they are asking about price, then they are not in the Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator scene by any means or they would know they run on the high side of what they think.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FLUndertaker

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've only been asked once while in my JT. But, I've been asked it many, many times when I'm in one of my other vehicles. I try to feel them out if they are a genuine car guy/gal or just a nosy person.

love this. I’m at $10.20/lb, 2222kg.

zhuifeng166

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cndieselparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Seems like every time I turn around there’s a new increase? Since I’ve retired I try not to watch the “news“ as much and pretty much just mind my own business but I haven’t heard of anything disastrous that’s happened to cause it? No hurricanes, wars, or the usual BS reasons. What’s the excuse this time?

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
There's no excuse needed, the inflation that hasn't been happening according to the gov't is now showing up in obvious ways. Inflationary monetary policy is inflationary. Nothing unexpected.

Seems like every time I turn around there’s a new increase? Since I’ve retired I try not to watch the “news“ as much and pretty much just mind my own business but I haven’t heard of anything disastrous that’s happened to cause it? No hurricanes, wars, or the usual BS reasons. What’s the excuse this time?

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
I get that question a lot. I give varying answers, but usually close to reality. No reason to not be honest, and I doubt people are looking to steal it.

0AAF1592-523C-46BA-851C-9716704A1B97.jpeg

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Try this next time they ask you what you paid: "well how much do you make in a year and I'll tell you if you can afford it".
Sponsored