What’s up with “Granite-Gate”?

WildJD

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Santa Fe National Forest, Jemez Mountains, NM
Vehicle(s)
2020 GCM Gladiator JT Launch Edition, 2006 Wrangler TJ 4x4 4.0 Liter Straight 6 Golden Eagle, 2018 Cherokee 4x4 3.2 Liter V6 Latitude
Occupation
Mountain Wilderness Rancher/Horse Guide
So what’s the deal? They ran out of Granite Chrystal paint... and can’t spare anyone to run out and get some more, until June? ;{
Sponsored

OP
OP
WildJD

WildJD

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Santa Fe National Forest, Jemez Mountains, NM
Vehicle(s)
2020 GCM Gladiator JT Launch Edition, 2006 Wrangler TJ 4x4 4.0 Liter Straight 6 Golden Eagle, 2018 Cherokee 4x4 3.2 Liter V6 Latitude
Occupation
Mountain Wilderness Rancher/Horse Guide
So what’s the deal? They ran out of Granite Chrystal paint... and can’t spare anyone to run out and get some more, until June? ;{
Seriously though, does anyone know why they have “Late Availability” colors at all? Do they have a separate automated spray bay for each color? Are they limited until they build more (paint bays) for the “Late” colors? Any other notions why the delay, just for these colors? ;{

Jeepznthingz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE GCM
I
Think
Late availability is on purpose to give them a chance to sell less exciting colors, boring black red white silver, then they release the spicier colors. Otherwise, fewer people would order traditional colors....my .02

Ichthus

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gobi JTR, 20 Bikini Willys JLU, 18 GC Overland
Occupation
Pilot
I
Think
Late availability is on purpose to give them a chance to sell less exciting colors, boring black red white silver, then they release the spicier colors. Otherwise, fewer people would order traditional colors....my .02
Naw...white, black, silver, grey and red are the most popular colors, even when “spicier” options exist. Most manufacturers limit themselves to very few niche colors because it’s not worth the investment, and niche colors often have lower resale value. As lifestyle vehicles, Jeeps manage to have a larger market than most for bold colors

Sponsored

Jeepznthingz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Naw...white, black, silver, grey and red are the most popular colors, even when “spicier” options exist. Most manufacturers limit themselves to very few niche colors because it’s not worth the investment, and niche colors often have lower resale value. As lifestyle vehicles, Jeeps manage to have a larger market than most for bold colors
Tell that to the hyper green crowd.

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
Seriously though, does anyone know why they have “Late Availability” colors at all? Do they have a separate automated spray bay for each color? Are they limited until they build more (paint bays) for the “Late” colors? Any other notions why the delay, just for these colors? ;{
There most likely getting the specs right ect on paint. With each color there is always a process where it must be examined adjusted ect. Not sure if they use the same robots but the ones from the auto plant I work at can change to 9+ colors in a matter of seconds so there is no special booth for special colors, there in line with all regular colors

billyjk7

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler JKU on 40s and Tons
I see that it is no longer listed as late availability on the Jeep site

robbyr1000

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Rubicon LE, 2017 Maserati Ghibli SQ4, 2019 Lincoln Navigator Reserve 4x4, 2018 Honda Rebel 500
All great information and thanks for the input. But it doesn't explain why none of us Granite LE guys have VINs. I am pretty sure based on my VON I was really close to the front of the line....

Wonder if an FCA rep on here could dig into it for us? Anyone know who we could tag to ask that question?

Sponsored

Jeepznthingz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All great information and thanks for the input. But it doesn't explain why none of us Granite LE guys have VINs. I am pretty sure based on my VON I was really close to the front of the line....

Wonder if an FCA rep on here could dig into it for us? Anyone know who we could tag to ask that question?
Same here. I was one of the first to order granite, too. It doesn’t really make sense, since they have a gun that can spray 16 different colors, just load it up. There aren’t even 16 different colors for the whole gladiator line. But. All in due time.,

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
Same here. I was one of the first to order granite, too. It doesn’t really make sense, since they have a gun that can spray 16 different colors, just load it up. There aren’t even 16 different colors for the whole gladiator line. But. All in due time.,
It depends on where in the process of building the vehicle that they create and put the VIN that is spaciffic to that vehicle. Let's say for instance if they place that vin on the truck before painting it that might be why. Our vins are put on as soon as the body is welded up so it's one of the first stages of the process but I can't speak for Jeep plant tho

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
Hey, we are all stuck in BG status together. Guess it's official for Backordered Granite.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I
Think
Late availability is on purpose to give them a chance to sell less exciting (but more mainstream) colors, boring black red white silver, then they release the spicier colors. Otherwise, fewer people would order traditional colors....my .02
This (basically Marketing)
But Also, right now the demand is Very High for the brand-new product right? So they want as few line changeovers as possible to keep production humming. Every color change slows down production.

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
This (basically Marketing)
But Also, right now the demand is Very High for the brand-new product right? So they want as few line changeovers as possible to keep production humming. Every color change slows down production.
Exactly. More than likely there running one color behind another and unfortunately granite is probably last. And some colors are more hard to produce with fixing errors...we have a color at my plant that everyone hates running because there's so much trash all over it and alot of them get sent down to be touched up and fixed causing more work
Sponsored