Sponsored

What air filter is everyone using once it needs replaced?

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Looking to see what everyone is going to use. Stock or? I see Mopar has an high flow option.
Sponsored

itsdapk

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
PK
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgerssuperchargers.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave , 2019 Ram
Occupation
Sales Manager @ Hamburger's Superchargers
Only if you care about how it looks and sounds . We dyno tested stock, panel K&N, and CAI and was barely 1 or 2 hp which was a stretch. I wanted it to make more power because I'm a fan of them and was really disappointed and let down with the results.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Willys2Gladiator

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I was referring to the high flow drop in filter. CAI's I'm not interested in for the reasons you mentioned.

itsdapk

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
PK
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgerssuperchargers.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave , 2019 Ram
Occupation
Sales Manager @ Hamburger's Superchargers
I was referring to the high flow drop in filter. CAI's I'm not interested in for the reasons you mentioned.
We tried the K&N drop in but just decided it was just easier to get a stock filter vs cleaning the oiled filter.

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
Filter, air box and tubing is not a choke point. The throttle body is. Doesn't matter what you put in front of that throttle body, it's only going to allow so much computer controlled air through.

Which is why expensive filters and CAI's are a waste of money, unless you are strictly interested in increasing intake noise or want the ability to clean and reuse a filter.

Want more air and fuel in your computer controlled engine? Buy a tuner and unlocked ECU to adjust fuel and throttle maps. Or go forced induction.

Sponsored

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I did a CAI on a Silverado years ago. The only benefits I noted were the nicer intake noise and a bit deeper exhaust note from the Magnaflow....
I miss a V8 :crying:

I only see the benefit of HP from a high flow air filter, but if it’s not giving HP there are no benefits. You’re giving up better filtration for no reason when switching to a high flow filter vs paper.

Rutrut

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I just put an injen cai in. It’s set up for the snorkel part put as of now it’s just the intake. Obviously your not gonna get hp increase but it makes it sound more like a truck and not a JL.. I love the sound. As for ruining the engine, as long as you clean it and oil it you’ll be fine.

Attachments

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I may stick with regular replacement filters, I'm looking to get K&N cabin air filters. After 4 K&N filters for my other Jeeps they work but considering the dirt and crud I have found in air tube and throttle body, I'm not sure. Not to blind slam K&N, I have not had a engine failure due to it. I have not decided yet, but I do like serviceable better. I'm sure I have not saved any money with them.
Very good point on the air filter not being the choke point on engines. I agree on low rpms that my Jeep(s) that stay at, way under redline. Now for all that try to see engines redlining I don't know.

Sponsored

narcoteca

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTJS98 2021
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Narquitecto
I just put an injen cai in. It’s set up for the snorkel part put as of now it’s just the intake. Obviously your not gonna get hp increase but it makes it sound more like a truck and not a JL.. I love the sound. As for ruining the engine, as long as you clean it and oil it you’ll be fine.
what is the part number for the CAI you used?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Unless you run WOT a lot, "performance" air filters won't do a lot of good. HP increases? Where do the increases come in? Not where you would normally need it or normally run it.

I know guys running a lot more CID and high RPM on tracks not running much more than these can handle.
This matches what we discussed a few years ago related to race engines -
>Generally, high-performance dry filters can catch up to 99% of the incoming contaminants due to the smaller micron size of the filter media, while oiled filters catch about 98% of what passes through – a minute difference, but a difference none-the-less. <

Most custom air intakes and fancy filters are more bragging rights than true help.
If you are racing, running high HP applications, expecting to push the last Nth degree out of an engine, racing, road rally, pulling, it won't help you in ordinary use.

This I believe I had saved from a company that sells oiled filters -

>>The difference in real-world performance between a dry and oiled filter can sometimes be very small, but what it comes down to is the type of driver you are, and the type of environment you are driving in. When you’re trying to shave the 1/100 of a second off your lap time, every ounce of power helps.<<

So are you running your JT full RPM constantly?

Oiled filters frankly are better for the track because they don't do well in fine dust.
You must maintain them properly and NOT over-oil them. Follow instructions to the letter.

I've run several types of filters in my performance vehicles over the years - frankly, I prefer paper.

A friend did a test using white filter paper in the air intake after the filter and he found more dirt on that filter paper behind the oiled performance filters than he did with paper.
I need to see if I can find the pictures.

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
WIX
Sponsored