Sponsored

What are these things on the wheels?

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Looks like they say .25 Fe. What are they? Are they on the actual wheel? Do all Sport/S JT models have them? Are they needed if swapping wheels?

A61D0917-A58A-4B28-A77E-21B0ECE1E276.jpeg
Sponsored

Ericxj99

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt,xj,mj,jk,tj
adhesive wheel weights used to balance the wheels The goal is to make sure the weight is evenly distributed throughout each of the wheels and tires on a vehicle. This process evens out heavy and light spots in a wheel, so that it rotates smoothly.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
...and the numbers are the weight and you break off however much weight you need and adhere them to the wheel.
Or maybe that's the number of miles before they explode..........

Since there's no metal edge for the old-fashioned clip-on weights they have to use these, and it's better anyway because they can be placed more accurately.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)
...and the numbers are the weight and you break off however much weight you need and adhere them to the wheel.
Or maybe that's the number of miles before they explode..........

Since there's no metal edge for the old-fashioned clip-on weights they have to use these, and it's better anyway because they can be placed more accurately.
And they donā€™t mar the wheel as the hammered on weights do.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
And they donā€™t mar the wheel as the hammered on weights do.
Amen to that. My Silverado wheels were messed up in part to the weights they used. Same for some other wheels I had. Give me the stick on weights. Takes heavier weight to balance that much closer to center but keeps the wheel looking better longer.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So how come the black wheels that come with the Sport (not Sport S) don't have them?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So how come the black wheels that come with the Sport (not Sport S) don't have them?
Did you crawl under and look back of the spokes or in places you can't see them from the outside of the wheel?
They are used to balance, and once in a while things balance out nicely with few weights or weights placed in places not normally seen.
They will vary hugely in size and placement - depending on the perfection of the wheel and tire assembly, but rare is the wheel/tire assembly that doesn't need SOME weight somewhere. I have changed and balanced my share of wheels over the decades and have found a few that needed only a very small amount of weight to make them right - even spin balancing.
You would likely need to look at the back side of the wheel - the technician may have been able to place them where hidden to get the job done.

Ericxj99

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt,xj,mj,jk,tj
Back in the days I worked at a dealer ship it's rare but it happens. you can get a wheel that doesnt need any weights but you'd be dam lucky as hell to have a full set of 4 with no weight needed.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you crawl under and look back of the spokes or in places you can't see them from the outside of the wheel?
They are used to balance, and once in a while things balance out nicely with few weights or weights placed in places not normally seen.
They will vary hugely in size and placement - depending on the perfection of the wheel and tire assembly, but rare is the wheel/tire assembly that doesn't need SOME weight somewhere. I have changed and balanced my share of wheels over the decades and have found a few that needed only a very small amount of weight to make them right - even spin balancing.
You would likely need to look at the back side of the wheel - the technician may have been able to place them where hidden to get the job done.
I have not. But I'm set to get a set of wheels and tires straight off of a Sport and so was curious. Will check! Seller said he had them put on at the dealership special, so I can't imagine they didn't balance them there

Sponsored

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
They did balance my matching black spare. It has a normal looking weight on it mounted on the outside. Interesting idea of @ShadowsPapa to possibly put the weights on the inside. See attached picture of my matching spare and another picture of one other tire/wheel on the ground with a normal weight on it. Spare is stowed outside up. Is stowed that way in case you hit your spare wheel on a big rock or curb then the outside of the wheel does not get scratched or scuffed up.
28A26D09-3ACB-4232-AB5A-7AC60292343C.jpeg
D56EEE1E-AC11-4A95-98E0-453F0B08DD02.jpeg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Back in the days I worked at a dealer ship it's rare but it happens. you can get a wheel that doesnt need any weights but you'd be dam lucky as hell to have a full set of 4 with no weight needed.
You'd be lucky to get one as the wheel is likely to be imperfect and the tire itself and what makes it worse is if you happen by pure luck get the heavy area of the tire lined up with the heavy part of the wheel. I've had them so that if I rotated the tire on the wheel and reset things I could greatly reduce the weight needed. That's what I do for show cars - if I find a wheel needs more than "typical" or than I want, I see if the tire can be broken away from the bead, rotated on the wheel and reinflated and checled. Sometimes you can reduce the weight needed. but you also have two different ways you are balancing. Lateral and radial - light vs. heavy around diameter and light vs. heavy inside to outside. Good balancing means you are taking both into account. You can't do a good job with an old-fashioned bubble balancer like used in the 60s and 70s. If you have a wheel assembly with a heavy spot on the outside facing the front of the vehicle as it sits still and a lighter spot on the inside to the rear, the wheel will want to - hey WOBBLE. Hmmmmm
Bigger diameter and wider tires mean it's far more critical to make sure both radial and lateral balance are correct. As far as weight placement - if the wheel is laterally out of balance a weight may need to go to the outside of centerline of the wheel. Radially with a heavy spot rather centered inside to outside face the weight could be more hidden.
Anyway, I stole this image for example -

tire-balance.jpg

Moparbrett

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 gladiator 18 compass 16 Challenger shaker
Steel wheels use the weights that hammer onto the lips of the beads the aluminum wheels use the stick ons or a combo of both

Ericxj99

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt,xj,mj,jk,tj
I wasnā€™t in charge of mounting tires so Iā€™m not a savvy just happen to work in a dealership as a mechanic I saw few tires without weights And some cheap tires that will need more than usual