First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport 2022 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Retired
Have my jt at the dealer to resolve my ESS issues, (service system error message, and it not working). AUX battery was removed and tested first…reinstalled and test drove 10-12 miles, cool down wait period of 4 hours, then retested. They told me it tested at 198amps out of 200amps capacity, so it’s not the issue. They’re doing the same test this morning on the main battery. I have 20k miles and it’s under warranty.
Now the bad news: I just installed my winch but haven’t wired it up to the electrical system yet. The service manager noticed the installation and explained that ANY aftermarket connection to the jeeps battery system will void the warranty on both the AUX and main batteries! Told him I was connecting it to the group 31 marine battery in the bed. He thought that was best. In my least smart ass tone, I asked him, how does all the jeeps with winches installed with ESS issues that come in for work resolve that issue? He said they don’t, we will not warranty the cost of new batteries.
I wanted to press him about the Aux switches purpose that can be ordered on the JT and connect electrical devices to them and the battery system, but reframed until I get my repaired truck out of there…Geez, Really?
Sponsored

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Have my jt at the dealer to resolve my ESS issues, (service system error message, and it not working). AUX battery was removed and tested first…reinstalled and test drove 10-12 miles, cool down wait period of 4 hours, then retested. They told me it tested at 198amps out of 200amps capacity, so it’s not the issue. They’re doing the same test this morning on the main battery. I have 20k miles and it’s under warranty.
Now the bad news: I just installed my winch but haven’t wired it up to the electrical system yet. The service manager noticed the installation and explained that ANY aftermarket connection to the jeeps battery system will void the warranty on both the AUX and main batteries! Told him I was connecting it to the group 31 marine battery in the bed. He thought that was best. In my least smart ass tone, I asked him, how does all the jeeps with winches installed with ESS issues that come in for work resolve that issue? He said they don’t, we will not warranty the cost of new batteries.
I wanted to press him about the Aux switches purpose that can be ordered on the JT and connect electrical devices to them and the battery system, but reframed until I get my repaired truck out of there…Geez, Really?
“I wanted to press him about the Aux switches purpose that can be ordered on the JT and connect electrical devices to them and the battery system”

I would love to know the logic when you get an answer!

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
37" tire? How beefy is it compared to the stock one?
Yeah this tire is all of 37” (actually measure 37.2” inflated but not installed) and was rubbing all over the stock track bar to the point where I couldn’t get it up under there without the new track bar. The track bar is beefy and the joints are super nice. It’s up and out of the way and now there’s tons of clearance for the tire. The new bar makes the stock one look tiny and flimsy

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
He said they don’t, we will not warranty the cost of new batteries.
Both of my batteries failed out in the field on a long camping trip (Hindsight: I was getting the "Aux Switches unavailable" and "ESS disabled" warnings a week before but didn't know what the real impact was going to be). I tested them with a multi-meter and realized they were dead for "no reason".

Luckily I was with someone who could take me into a nearby town and get batteries from a dealership that had what I needed. I wasn't about to pay for a tow to bring them in for the same diagnosis and, let's face it, I wanted to get back to camping and enjoying my trip.

When I finally returned home, my dealership said they couldn't/wouldn't do anything because there is a specific "procedure" they have to follow in order to turn in a warranty claim on those batteries, which is what you've described. They basically told me to kick rocks.

The dealership gave me a claims phone number; so I filed a claim with Mopar (something related to roadside assistance is where I think it wound up). I explained the scenario and why it wasn't brought in to be serviced, provided receipts from the dealership at which I bought the batteries and got my money back. Nobody in that entire process cared that I had a winch, all Aux switches connected to things, 100W solar with a 100aH hotel battery and 30A DC-DC MPPT controller (charging my starter and auxiliary battery). They just took the provided photos of my receipts and refunded my money.

EDIT: They would only honor batteries bought from a dealership, not Autozone, Napa, etc. Don't know why, they wouldn't answer that question but I suspect it is probably fraud related.

Now here's the craziest part. The guy at the parts counter that sold me the batteries said "Put that receipt in your glovebox and if they fail within 3 years, just bring them back to any dealership for an exchange no questions asked." Now why can't that be the same process for the batteries that came with the vehicle?!?!?!? It's all smoke and mirrors IMHO.

EDIT: Again, the parts guy didn't say "...unless you have a winch hooked up to it..."

Freems

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport 2022 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Retired
“I wanted to press him about the Aux switches purpose that can be ordered on the JT and connect electrical devices to them and the battery system”

I would love to know the logic when you get an answer!
I will let you know his response

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Boring stuff. 5 way rotation, and greased the RCV’s. 5k since last time. Slower on s snowy driveway, but finally warm enough. Balmy 35 degrees.

davep

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Well after all the crazy talks of vehicles being stolen, and some local suspects getting into a shootout, and some thugs trying to steel federal property in broad daylight, I decided to put these on.

1ACA5E91-E32E-40C6-894B-CEBB0AC2F895.jpeg
An additional layer of security is IGLA for PIN to start engine

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Well after all the crazy talks of vehicles being stolen, and some local suspects getting into a shootout, and some thugs trying to steel federal property in broad daylight, I decided to put these on.

1ACA5E91-E32E-40C6-894B-CEBB0AC2F895.jpeg
I’m with you. I ordered a bolt lock yesterday.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
An additional layer of security is IGLA for PIN to start engine
huh??? not sure what those acronyms are…

I’m with you. I ordered a bolt lock yesterday.
yeah. Easy enough. Kinda a pain to open the hood now though. I am slightly concerned that they will freeze up with rain/snow and -20 degree temps. But next winter will tell the truth. I did put some graphite in the lock mechanism though.

Sponsored

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado 1500 Custom/Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Occupation
Retired for now!
Well not really something done with my JT today of sorts... but Monday I was using it as a landmark for ambulance to identify to pick me up. Emergency room then to Emergency surgery total of 3 days in hospital.
Got back home late Wednesday, to just be able to get in the driver's seat for awhile not driving though.
Well a quick little project since released from hospital.

20230324_105141.jpg
Darn Darrell,
I sure hope you are ok and feeling better. I did not see a follow up post and am hoping you are ok now! Get healed up soon!
Phil in Tennessee

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Darn Darrell,
I sure hope you are ok and feeling better. I did not see a follow up post and am hoping you are ok now! Get healed up soon!
Phil in Tennessee
Well my friend from KY came down picked me and my JT up to keep me from doing something before I get medically cleared to do some work.
Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 20230327_125103

A dang good thing is knowing or finding out is your true friends.

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
Well my friend from KY came down picked me and my JT up to keep me from doing something before I get medically cleared to do some work.
Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 20230327_125103

A dang good thing is knowing or finding out is your true friends.
Your friend has a nice setup.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Your friend has a nice setup.
That he does, we've been friends for decades now, since we was on A.D. in Army. I'm kinda "uncle" to his kids and great uncle to his grand kids. Closer than my own family. I took leave from Europe when his son was born. Travelled to be at the graduation and marriage of his daughter.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
They don't understand, or care to, that many times those winches aren't frequently used, or often haven't yet been used, are isolated from the battery when not used, or when they are, the engine is running and only part of the drain is on the battery.
Mine has been used twice, but not yet on this truck it's on. They'll still warrant things. A winch would only kill a battery if the engine wasn't running and you had a really hard pull and ran a high duty cycle with the winch.
You get part of the power from the alternator - as long as you up the idle speed of the engine.
Sponsored