Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Removed my winch, again, in preparation for the new one arriving some time this week.
Sponsored

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
Is this what I keep hearing rattle around below the bed when I hit expansion joints? The Parking break cables?
It may well be. They were rattling pretty good here and up around the carrier bearing.
I zip tied them up there.
This was just 1/8" tubing I had on hand. Put a few drops of CLP in it to make it slide on the metal brackets easily.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
It may well be. They were rattling pretty good here and up around the carrier bearing.
This was just 1/8" tubing I had on hand. Put a few drops of CLP in it to make it slide on the metal brackets easily.

Good idea. Is that the stock driveshaft? And I’m surprised at the amount of surface rust on the carrier bearing. Mine looks clean, and I’m in a bad winter climate.

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)

I will have to take a look at this now, It was driving me crazy. thx for posting

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
I spent the entire day Saturday installing my Barnes bumper and zxr12k, went to test the winch and battery was dead. Seems I get 2-3 weeks without it plugged in and it dies..
Screenshot_20230129-191755~2.png

Sponsored

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Removed my winch, again, in preparation for the new one arriving some time this week.
what did you have, and what are you replacing it with?

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I had the Warn VR EVO 12s, but run there was the recall on the wireless remotes. It’s being replaced with a Zeon platinum 12s. I consider a wireless remote to be a safety feature that I wasn’t willing to part with. Warn’s good customer service and some hoarded credit card points made this an easy decision.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Jealous... I am hoping they get the zeon line fixed soon as thats what I was planning on ordering. The platinum is a great winch, but I'm doing front and rear and can't justify that cost at the moment.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Jealous... I am hoping they get the zeon line fixed soon as thats what I was planning on ordering. The platinum is a great winch, but I'm doing front and rear and can't justify that cost at the moment.
What is being fixed on the line?

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I’d love to go rear as well. Are you planning a bumper mount, or removable 2” receiver mount? I’m big on self reliance.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
I had the Warn VR EVO 12s, but run there was the recall on the wireless remotes. It’s being replaced with a Zeon platinum 12s. I consider a wireless remote to be a safety feature that I wasn’t willing to part with. Warn’s good customer service and some hoarded credit card points made this an easy decision.
The temporary fix is for the user to remove the wireless function by cutting out the internal battery (which gets you a $100 warn.com gift card), but eventually they'll still be sending out a new weatherproof wireless remote to replace ALL old remotes, even the ones that users removed the battery.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The temporary fix is for the user to remove the wireless function by cutting out the internal battery (which gets you a $100 warn.com gift card), but eventually they'll still be sending out a new weatherproof wireless remote to replace ALL old remotes, even the ones that users removed the battery.
I know. But that’s going to take a long long time, and I don’t want a winch that’s only wired. I get that people use wired winches all the time, but I want to be able to use it from further away if necessary. I’ve been in several situations where I needed to be more than 10ft from the winch to handle the recovery safely.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
What is being fixed on the line?
sorry, mis-spoke. hope they get the EVO line of winches fixed soon...... nothing wrong with the line itself or the zeon series

Ordered a road armor stealth winch bumper a while ago. Just haven't put it on yet because I dont want it to get dinged and rusted before summer even hits. I hate with a passion this mag-chloride they spray all over the roads here. https://www.quadratec.com/p/road-ar...NmKDl5zZYSVxmgM19Lc-Fdl_vYYXeTS8aAvB_EALw_wcB Quadratec had them at nearly 50% off at 800 bucks for some reason, and I was eyeballing them since I first started looking at bumpers. Honestly a little concerned for the quality of the welds with how it is bolted up to the jeep - but I called them the other day and they actually claimed it was good up to a 9.5K winch. I can't tell what these weird welds are on either side of the center portion.... Maybe it was from a fold or something? It almost appears to be a modular welded together bumper, but the front of the bumper is totally flat, so unless they pieced It together and grinned it down super smooth then I have no clue..... But I'm going to take the risk I suppose, because there's nothing else on market right now and that is far beyond my fab abilities.

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] IMG_9846.JPG

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] IMG_9847.JPG

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] IMG_9848.JPG

I have heard very bad stories of hitch mounted winches. Sure, they work...but a hitch really isn't designed for that. I wouldn't trust one, in fact I had a few friends try to use one near me a few times and I quickly left. IMO that is a dangerous game. But, some do it all the time without issue. I suppose it depends on how much force they are putting on that system.

And agreed on the self reliance. 'friends' have plenty of times left me high and dry - and with a lot of solo trips coming up this year, I just want to have myself covered, Plus, its handy for pulling out people behind you who dont have a winch, or winching backwards which is often times easier than pulling through an obstacle.

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] Screenshot 2023-01-29 at 18.18.16
Sponsored