Sponsored

What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Jeepmonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 1968 Chevy C10
Today's mod was the Alpine SPV-65-JLT soundbar speaker upgrade. After removing the factory speakers from the soundbar (premium sound system) one can really see the difference in the overall quality of the upgrades. If anyone is on the fence, I recommend it. Yes, a bit intimidating at first because once you commit to the install, there is no turning back due to the cuts. I just used a body saw and sliced it out. I must say that there is quite a difference in clarity and deeper lows. After about 100 hours of break in time the sound should be where I want it.

Props go out to Jeepmonster for the help on this one!

Alpine Upgrade 1.JPG

Alpine Upgrade 2.JPG

Alpine Upgrade 3.JPG
Looks great, and I bet the sound quality is just as good. I'm waiting on a few parts to change the dash/knee speakers. Installing the bed outlet kit while I have the dash apart. Stay tuned...
Sponsored

abe57

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
Installed the knee speakers with Metra Box's , {Installed sound detening inside them and with some Poly-Fil } with 6.5" Cerwin Vega V465 2 way coaxial speakers. I will say the RH side was pretty easy ... Man that LH side is a BI%@H ! Trying to get it in I managed to brake off the upper mount and after securing the other two mounts seems to stay in place just fine with out to much movement . And a side note here the adapter cables to plug into the factory wiring was reverse polarity so I had to remove the wires out of the hard shell and reverse them. Sounds great ! Now I have Cerwin Vega speakers though out the Jeep.. sound system done for now . Oh and had the two front windows tinted yesterday ..

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 20220812_095816

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 20220811_201457

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 20220811_201451

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 20220810_150612

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Got the tail gate ladder installed on the new truck.
They come with self-drilling sheet metal screws to secure the plate to the tail gate. That's what I did the first time, just like the directions- but this time I opted for some lower profile head screws (button head screws) and M5 rivnuts. Took more time and patience as you have to mark the holes and drill carefully with a stop on the bit in case it grabs, recess the bed liner for the flange of the rivnut and things have to line up perfectly, got 'er done.
With the strength of the screws and rivnuts, and the plate, you don't need too many screws. I think the instructions recommend 6, can't recall for sure. I figured 5 was good with this method.

Pull 2 pins and the ladder comes off. I figured with these m5 screws and rivnuts if I had to take the whole plate off, it would be pretty easy. (like access to the latch handle and rods, or for hauling rock or whatever)

Here's a rivnut visible through the ladder plate's hole -

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 1660352430626

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 20220812_150546

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 20220812_150535_HDR

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 20220812_135711

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 20220812_135743

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Stumbled upon your post, and I know it probably doesn’t help much, but I ordered from a local dealer and got it in 2 weeks. I haggled on the price and got a decent deal (just ordered a 23 JLU in Earl from them).
Don't feel like paying dealer list prices for a bumper - most of the time used ones can be found in other states for a fraction of the new prices - with the bed sliders.

You don't haggle with Iowa dealers - when they look in their book and see a number, that's the price you pay. It's a piss-poor state to buy Jeep stuff at anything less than retail or MSRP. Actually, it's a piss-poor state to find Jeep stuff in at all!

Sponsored

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
I have one and it has worked great so far. I've used it a handful of times and had no issues.

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 20220812_135743
Here is what my X-bull clutch looks like. Started corroding after owning only a couple of months. I’d seriously spend a little more money on a reputable name brand winch.

86491B95-A8B3-4BB6-A9C4-386FC755C000.jpeg

A8B751EC-D358-45E5-9715-D3B0892371D4.jpeg

MikeyK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Teacher
Don't feel like paying dealer list prices for a bumper - most of the time used ones can be found in other states for a fraction of the new prices - with the bed sliders.

You don't haggle with Iowa dealers - when they look in their book and see a number, that's the price you pay. It's a piss-poor state to buy Jeep stuff at anything less than retail or MSRP. Actually, it's a piss-poor state to find Jeep stuff in at all!
That’s true with most dealers in PA too! But I took his best offer (I was a little impatient). He gave me a reasonable price, because he knows I’ll probably be back for a few items for the new JLU. 🙄

Wilsonb80

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland Gator.
Occupation
Cable Dog / Network weeny
Finally got my switch pack operating and arb dual compressor mounted and working.

7DECC61C-9F1C-4045-8C3B-FC41B1BF4B38.jpeg

05E8C22C-7660-4463-8237-DDBA17638220.jpeg

C7E77734-E173-47DA-A525-3530C7E71BC2.jpeg

Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Here is what my X-bull clutch looks like. Started corroding after owning only a couple of months. I’d seriously spend a little more money on a reputable name brand winch.

86491B95-A8B3-4BB6-A9C4-386FC755C000.jpeg

A8B751EC-D358-45E5-9715-D3B0892371D4.jpeg
Mine after a year...no issues. Its a crap shoot, I guess I got lucky.

20220813_082210.jpg

20220813_082230.jpg

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 20220813_082230
If it's still made, I highly recommend TurtleWax Chrome polish. It will actually reduce the rust back to base metal and put a good coating of wax on it to prevent from happening again. Just reapply every now and again. (Yes, reduce the metal because rust is oxidation. Reduction is the opposite of oxidation so ;) )

I've used the stuff for years to keep the shiny bits on my motorcycles shiny. They get a few rust pits on them, hit them with this stuff and they're all shiny again and you don't see the rust pits.

Also, I use it on my swimming pool rails (the ones for the stairs into the pool) as they get a bit rusty looking in the spring when I open the pool. Just rub it on with cloth, let it dry then buff. Nice and chromey shiny for the summer.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 20220813_082230

I can work that lever in with some other plating I have to get done - either in nickel, or zinc - your choice of clean, yellow or black (which is more of a chocolate than true black)

I had my winch on my 2020 for 2 years give or take, not a trace of rust or oxidation on anything other than the big copper straps under the cover. That was easily resolved - clean, and clear coat 'em. Since the majority of the copper was like brand new, I have to wonder if their protection simply didn't get nicked or compromised and it could have been me that did it when I put the winch on for all I know. But the outside of the winch literally looks like brand new.
If any screws do eventually rust (I expect it from those that sit in recesses on the top where water sits) I will either plate them, or replace them with stainless.

If it's still made, I highly recommend TurtleWax Chrome polish. It will actually reduce the rust back to base metal and put a good coating of wax on it to prevent from happening again. Just reapply every now and again. (Yes, reduce the metal because rust is oxidation. Reduction is the opposite of oxidation so ;) )

I've used the stuff for years to keep the shiny bits on my motorcycles shiny. They get a few rust pits on them, hit them with this stuff and they're all shiny again and you don't see the rust pits.
In order for it to convert the rust, it must have tannin likely in the form of tannic acid.
Tannic acid reacts with the iron ions to form ferric tannate (or iron tannate), an inert compound that binds strongly to the iron and blocks air contact with the iron below.
That's not reduction, it's conversion. Extend is one product that converts the rust to an inert material and then you have to protect it as water will compromise the conversion process.

True reversal is an electro-chemical process.
I have some pages written up on that on the web. Electrolysis. Iron/steel electrodes, a battery charger, a bucket of water and laundry soda (sodium carbonate, not sodium bicarbonate)

I've used both in restorations for years.
For plating, I use electrolysis to actually reverse the rust, full removal.
You can't use a converter as the converted later blocks the metal you want to plate with from binding.

That lever would drive me NUTS! No way I could leave that on there. I'd actually drop almost everything else and move that to the head of my project list!
I even found really teeny areas with some surface rust on my tail gate ladder where the powder coating couldn't get in back of the edge of the welds - and I stopped everything, used Extend to treat the rust, and painted the spots with Eastwood textured paint (a PERFECT match for the original finish)
No way could anything with even a trace of rust no one else would ever see was going onto that truck.

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Air bag lines all done, MOPAR trailer brake controller installed, started putting tail gate ladder on but needed to mod one area to clear my tonneau cover latches I put on. I didn't think ahead and move the left latch a bit forward to clear the ladder so will mod the ladder instead.
Also thinking of using different screws to attach it to the tail gate - maybe rivnuts and bolts - can use fewer of them.+
Any pointers for the brake controller install. Doing mine soon.

JTenn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 21 JT Willys
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Got the tail gate ladder installed on the new truck.
They come with self-drilling sheet metal screws to secure the plate to the tail gate. That's what I did the first time, just like the directions- but this time I opted for some lower profile head screws (button head screws) and M5 rivnuts. Took more time and patience as you have to mark the holes and drill carefully with a stop on the bit in case it grabs, recess the bed liner for the flange of the rivnut and things have to line up perfectly, got 'er done.
With the strength of the screws and rivnuts, and the plate, you don't need too many screws. I think the instructions recommend 6, can't recall for sure. I figured 5 was good with this method.

Pull 2 pins and the ladder comes off. I figured with these m5 screws and rivnuts if I had to take the whole plate off, it would be pretty easy. (like access to the latch handle and rods, or for hauling rock or whatever)

Here's a rivnut visible through the ladder plate's hole -

Nice! I haven't seen that ladder before. This was my solution for bed access. Folds up and lays flat for transport when needed. It's also made in 2 and 3 step versions.

20220802_193902.jpg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Nice! I haven't seen that ladder before. This was my solution for bed access. Folds up and lays flat for transport when needed. It's also made in 2 and 3 step versions.

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 20220802_193902
I have that version in my shop and a much older version a bit smaller. Love it because it's like stair steps, really strong, and I can lift things down from my high shelves and not feel like I'm balancing on something shaky in the process. Has a nice safety handle, wheels on one side and if that's like mine, a sort of platform on top of the handle for tools or whatever. Very well made.
Sponsored