First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I’m certainly no wrench turner, however when I researched this issue, it seemed that for a 1.5” lift the lower control arms are not necessary. I also found that many experienced suspension people say the JTRs have limited caster from the factory and the MOPAR Performance lower control arms add some caster as the vehicle is minimally raised. Like I said, I’m pleased with the end result. I wish I was still physically able to do the installation myself.
Sponsored

HikerBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GCLE Gladiator, ‘91 Wrangler, ‘08 GTI, ‘11 GTI
New rock rails and bed rails from TNT Customs installed by Happy Trails in Neptune Beach, FL. Shout out to both for quality work.

Question for the group - Anyone have a solution for covering the pinch seam that is now exposed since the OEM rock rails were removed?

For Sale in Jacksonville, FL - Mopar Rock rails and bed rails - $200 PM me if interested

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] C7A98BDC-85AA-4F55-A7E6-A1B0F7889754
Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] D0823C15-AB8B-4E1F-AC14-1B841F95A576
Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 93B65DC7-93BA-45AF-B386-51042608FD48

Last edited:

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
Looks good. Someone just told me that the longer LCAs aren’t necessary and pull it outta spec for caster. I’m so confused.
You and me both
I’m certainly no wrench turner, however when I researched this issue, it seemed that for a 1.5” lift the lower control arms are not necessary. I also found that many experienced suspension people say the JTRs have limited caster from the factory and the MOPAR Performance lower control arms add some caster as the vehicle is minimally raised. Like I said, I’m pleased with the end result. I wish I was still physically able to do the installation myself.
All that jives. At 1.5" you shouldn't need longer lower arms. If it drives fine and feels good that's all that really matters. If it feels like it wanders a bit too much or you get a bit of wheel wobble when hitting bumps it might be worth trying the lower arms.

Jeeps vary a lot from the factory in terms of caster angle, and even caster differences from left to right knuckle. Given it's a CV style front driveshaft, and if you have the part time case the front driveshaft isn't spinning in 2wd thanks to the CAD, it's much less important to find a good tradeoff between caster and pinion angle in the front than it used to be on Jeeps with shorter arms with u-joints on both ends and an always spinning shaft. It usually doesn't hurt to go a bit heavy on caster at lower lift heights if you so chose.

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer

Klicht87

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Veteran/DoD Program Analyst
Looks good. Someone just told me that the longer LCAs aren’t necessary and pull it outta spec for caster. I’m so confused.
That was probably me. The longer LCAs with the 2" AEV lift was at 6.4 degrees. I'm sure the factory LCAs would have been a tad closer to 6 degrees which apparently is on the high end.

Last edited:

Sponsored

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
New rock rails and bed rails from TNT Customs installed by Happy Trails in Neptune Beach, FL. Shout out to both for quality work.

Question for the group - Anyone have a solution for covering the pinch seam that is now exposed since the OEM rock rails were removed?

For Sale in Jacksonville, FL - Mopar Rock rails and bed rails - $200 PM me if interested

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 93B65DC7-93BA-45AF-B386-51042608FD48
Nice steps! Only other person I've seen with 'em. BTW they were a bitch to install, smart for having a shop do it. I still haven't done it but was planning on someday taping off the sill and either spraying some bedliner or plastidip onto it.

Mine shipped bare metal from TNT. Did the shop finish them or did they come finished from TNT? I started with a primer and Rustoleum professional high performance enamel, but that got scratched off in the winter, and I've since just been spraying all my metal bits with Rustoleum Rust Reformer... it works great for rust but it's very dull/faded looking:(

HikerBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GCLE Gladiator, ‘91 Wrangler, ‘08 GTI, ‘11 GTI
Nice steps! Only other person I've seen with 'em. BTW they were a bitch to install, smart for having a shop do it. I still haven't done it but was planning on someday taping off the sill and either spraying some bedliner or plastidip onto it.

Mine shipped bare metal from TNT. Did the shop finish them or did they come finished from TNT? I started with a primer and Rustoleum professional high performance enamel, but that got scratched off in the winter, and I've since just been spraying all my metal bits with Rustoleum Rust Reformer... it works great for rust but it's very dull/faded looking:(
Saw them on CMM Customs Gladiator and had to have them because they are different. I read about the install before I purchased them and decided it was going to be too much for me since I don’t have all the tools needed. Was going to do the same thing you did with prep, primer, rust oleum then decided against it because I wanted them to match my Mopar tube doors so I had a shop powder coat them. Sorry to hear about the paint situation. But they are cool rock rails

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Saw them on CMM Customs Gladiator and had to have them because they are different. I read about the install before I purchased them and decided it was going to be too much for me since I don’t have all the tools needed. Was going to do the same thing you did with prep, primer, rust oleum then decided against it because I wanted them to match my Mopar tube doors so I had a shop powder coat them. Sorry to hear about the paint situation. But they are cool rock rails
yea I probably should've just had a shop powder coat from the get go.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I put them on mine - no ill-effect, didn't notice a lot of difference. The front of mine was up about 1" to 1.25"
Caster started at 4.25 with 1.25" lift and stock arms.
I never got around to having it checked after I put the longer LCAs on. So far I've not seen proof or evidence of how much change, only people saying "it should".
I'd like to see an alignment sheet showing before numbers, and another showing after numbers, as well as were both at stock height, or with a lift and if with lift, how much lift.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I also found that many experienced suspension people say the JTRs have limited caster from the factory
Why? They have the same frame, the same brackets and basically the same axle tubes with the same mounting bracket location for the control arms.
Why would Rubicon be "limited" compared to any others?
What they are saying is that if Rubicon has limited caster, and it sits maybe 1" higher than others - maybe - and you lift another, say, an OVerland 1", then it would have the same limited caster of a Rubicon - right?
Can't have it both ways.
I think a lot is internet lore, frankly, It keeps getting repeated.
An Overland with a 1" lift would have the same caster numbers as a Rubicon stock.
They are saying caster is limited on a Rubicon.
Well, the Overland is now sitting the same height as an Overland with Rubicon springs under it, so would have the same limited caster.
My Overland was 4.25 degrees caster.........

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Haven't done it "to" the truck yet, but did prep a couple of bumper spacer plate sets for kicks.
My plating stuff has been out of whack and made worse by being unused for a couple of weeks.
I needed to plate-out some big parts to get the extra zinc out of solution.
Hey I have an idea! Those steel bumper spacers would likely rust in Iowa salty winters, so......... how about yellow zinc!?

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 20220818_081314

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 20220818_081407

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 20220818_081451

I have another set I had already cleaned and primed with self-etching primer, and then painted with VHT epoxy paint -

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 20220818_081737

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 20220818_081750

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Haven't done it "to" the truck yet, but did prep a couple of bumper spacer plate sets for kicks.
My plating stuff has been out of whack and made worse by being unused for a couple of weeks.
I needed to plate-out some big parts to get the extra zinc out of solution.
Hey I have an idea! Those steel bumper spacers would likely rust in Iowa salty winters, so......... how about yellow zinc!?

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 20220818_081750

I have another set I had already cleaned and primed with self-etching primer, and then painted with VHT epoxy paint -

What's the use case for these? More clearance for a winch?

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Was tired of hearing the contents of my upper center counsel rattle and cascade around every time i open it to get into my lower center counsel, so i ordered one of these organizers from Amazon.

Fits like a glove!

816ozS5bN3L._AC_SX679_.jpg
That looks great. Would you mind sharing a link please?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What's the use case for these? More clearance for a winch?
Yes. The Badlands Apex 1200 doesnt quite clear the steel rubicon bumper so these space the bumper forward a bit. A forum member makes the plates.
Sponsored