kdfhuey

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
The Dealer has to prove a modification has actually compromised parts in question before it can deny a warranty claim.
The magnuson-moss act protects consumers of cars from car manufacturers denying claims based on adding aftermarket accessories. Now of course this isn’t going to protect you from everything but it stops most of the shenanigans
Sponsored

AEsco48

First Name
AndresE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Mech Engineer/MBA/Entrepreneur
Have you ever had to go up against a dealer on a warranty claim...? Yea you are right, but unless you are going to hire a lawyer an experts... You are th eone who has to convince them your modification did not cause the issue. On top of that, even if they agree that your modification did not cause the damage, they (as is the regional service manager) can request that the area in question be returned to stock form before they perform any warranty work in the area...

I had a 2002 BMW E46 M3 that I took to the track (race circuit, not drag strip). I had cut off the brake disk rotor backing plates (made of sheet metal, used to prevent a rock getting into the back of the rotors) for better cooling. Something was wrong and the brake pedal would compress 1/2 the travel soft and then be rock hard... The problem was identified to be in the master cylinder or ABS unit.... Before the dealer would agree to change the master cylinder or ABS unit i was forced to put the backing plates back on... That involved taking apart the hubs, installing new backing plates, new bearings and reassbly... They claimed they would not help if brake system was in stock form talked to people at BMW corp, had friends at BMW Motorsports... No one would overrule the regional service manager.

kdfhuey

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Have you ever had to go up against a dealer on a warranty claim...? Yea you are right, but unless you are going to hire a lawyer an experts... You are th eone who has to convince them your modification did not cause the issue. On top of that, even if they agree that your modification did not cause the damage, they (as is the regional service manager) can request that the area in question be returned to stock form before they perform any warranty work in the area...

I had a 2002 BMW E46 M3 that I took to the track (race circuit, not drag strip). I had cut off the brake disk rotor backing plates (made of sheet metal, used to prevent a rock getting into the back of the rotors) for better cooling. Something was wrong and the brake pedal would compress 1/2 the travel soft and then be rock hard... The problem was identified to be in the master cylinder or ABS unit.... Before the dealer would agree to change the master cylinder or ABS unit i was forced to put the backing plates back on... That involved taking apart the hubs, installing new backing plates, new bearings and reassbly... They claimed they would not help if brake system was in stock form talked to people at BMW corp, had friends at BMW Motorsports... No one would overrule the regional service manager.
Understand. They are hoping you won’t hire an attorney to fight them as well. Considering the nature of a Jeep and that their own dealerships sell new vehicles with aftermarket parts on them I think we’re talking about a slightly different scenario than a BMW dealership. Also in the scenario you described the very nature of what you were doing with the vehicle was also adding a complexity to the scenario.

Sponsored

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I installed my RPM tie-rod that I’ve had for months just no time to install. Set at 1/8” tow in. Then i washed the heck out of my Lucille! And entered a Jeep show in Kemah & won best Utility it was a fun day.

34277640-C878-404C-B9AF-3939ADE78C92.jpeg

0905D50A-70F7-4EFD-B6B6-F6EE616F3AAA.jpeg

5DFD3A39-A8A8-4BF7-A82B-6803EBA31C97.jpeg

brain

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.unsinkablebriancork.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JT (Gladiator) Mojave | Gobi
Occupation
Business and Executive Coach
I installed my RPM tie-rod that I’ve had for months just no time to install. Set at 1/8” tow in. Then i washed the heck out of my Lucille! And entered a Jeep show in Kemah & won best Utility it was a fun day.

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 5DFD3A39-A8A8-4BF7-A82B-6803EBA31C97

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 5DFD3A39-A8A8-4BF7-A82B-6803EBA31C97

STRONG

kdfhuey

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

How do you like the hauk bumper??

Sponsored

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7

What was the reason for the aftermarket tie rod (and drag link)? I assume the sloppy steering. Have you had the steering gear replaced?

brain

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] baja backup 03

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] baja backup 03

Brilliant.

Would you find sharing a few pictures of your truck bed rack system? I've just mounted the JCR Offraod Half Rack with Universal Basket and putting my spare tire in the rear like I think you have.

brain

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Are those spare wheels?

Kilroy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator mat tow sport
Attempted to use anti friction tape from Amazon to silence the rear two outer edge freedom panel back slide levers. They rub with rough roads and emit a horribly loud squeaking sound. Long story short tape didn't live up to it's name. Not really slippery. I Went back to putting the 3M adhesive backing paper I had left over from velcro i had used. Placed them in the slide levers while closing. They are dead quiet again. Guess back to the drawing board lol
Sponsored