Sponsored

What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS]

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
Looks good! How was the disassembly of the rear bumper to get to the bezel? That thread you linked to said it was a nightmare so they just cut the plastic. I’d rather use the correct bezel. I just ordered the parts...any tips? Thanks
Like the thread mentions, it is a PIA. There is a youtube video that shows some of it, but not the part I really needed (he gets down and dirty into the bumper but never actually shows you when he is removing the old plastic bezel. Just shows the new one in place). He did help in that he shows you only have to partially disassemble the bumper and then focus on the one side. Lots of clips, nuts and push tabs.

Here's the Youtube video I am referring to:

One thing he mentions is at 4:14 where he talks about one bolt holding the large metal plate in place. He cut the metal tab the bolt is threaded into to be able to pivot the metal plate out of place and to get access below. I did not have to cut that metal tab (I saw no way to fix it without full bumper disassembly). I was still able to pivot the metal plate and have it rotate over the plastic part of the bumper by going gently. So, when I (easily) swung it back in place when I was finished, no harm, no foul.

Anyway, my main problem was: to actually install the new $5 plastic bezel in place, I ended up having to use an air body saw to cut the old $5 bezel up (while in place). That let me deform it and pop it out. The issue I had was getting to the mounting clips on the one edge to free them up. I couldn't reach them with any tool (and I have a lot) to do it. Somehow, he got the old one off because he shows it out in the video and on the bench but doesn't show how he did it. Maybe my clips were just stubborn. If you have the same issue, study the new part and you can see where the tabs mount. (If you cut your old one out do so VERY CAREFULLY to not cut into the actual bumper cover. I did the bulk cuts with the body saw and then finished with a razor knife so I would have more control.)

Overall, it wasn't too horrible. I've had much, much worse vehicle projects. But, it was a pain. So set some time aside for it. Trim tools are your friend for this job.

(It actually took me longer to fab up that front light bar, but that was fun too.)

Anyway, good luck when you try it 👍
Sponsored

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, it’s irritating having to fit all these parts that are supposed to be bolt on... but there’s nothing else like these on the market. Tbh opening the holes wasn’t too terrible, I hated lining up the LCA bolts though!
I installed my rock hard front control arm skids today, holding off on my Rusty's till the paint cures. I installed the driver side first, no problems. Then wet to the drivers side, first had to remove the fad skid to get a socket on the nut, then fought with that, really tight. Then like you, could not get the bolt back in due to axle shift, had to get my son to rock the truck back and forth enough to line up the control arm. Lesson learned, not everything is as easy as it should be for a bolt on.

ExitLeft

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Like the thread mentions, it is a PIA. There is a youtube video that shows some of it, but not the part I really needed (he gets down and dirty into the bumper but never actually shows you when he is removing the old plastic bezel. Just shows the new one in place). He did help in that he shows you only have to partially disassemble the bumper and then focus on the one side. Lots of clips, nuts and push tabs.

One thing he mentions is at 4:14 where he talks about one bolt holding the large metal plate in place. He cut the metal tab the bolt is threaded into to be able to pivot the metal plate out of place and to get access below. I did not have to cut that metal tab (I saw no way to fix it without full bumper disassembly). I was still able to pivot the metal plate and have it rotate over the plastic part of the bumper by going gently. So, when I (easily) swung it back in place when I was finished, no harm, no foul.

Anyway, my main problem was: to actually install the new $5 plastic bezel in place, I ended up having to use an air body saw to cut the old $5 bezel up (while in place). That let me deform it and pop it out. The issue I had was getting to the mounting clips on the one edge to free them up. I couldn't reach them with any tool (and I have a lot) to do it. Somehow, he got the old one off because he shows it out in the video and on the bench but doesn't show how he did it. Maybe my clips were just stubborn. If you have the same issue, study the new part and you can see where the tabs mount. (If you cut your old one out do so VERY CAREFULLY to not cut into the actual bumper cover. I did the bulk cuts with the body saw and then finished with a razor knife so I would have more control.)

Overall, it wasn't too horrible. I've had much, much worse vehicle projects. But, it was a pain. So set some time aside for it. Trim tools are your friend for this job.

(It actually took me longer to fab up that front light bar, but that was fun too.)

Wow....thanks for the detailed info! Maybe I’ll just cut a hole in it after all. LOL
ill probably try to disassemble everything when the weather warms up. My Glady won’t fit in my garage.
awesome info. Thanks

Jdyowa

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
Manager
This week I did some more small things.... added a 2nd rear tow hook (with factory cut out) and then painted the hooks front and rear. Then a 4 wheel drive decal and a black raised "OVERLAND" emblem.

I also made a small bar (out of some old motorcycle exhaust pipe bends we had laying around) to mount some lights on the front for my factory Overland bumper.

overland rear.jpg

Overland front.jpg
Whered you get the overland emblem?

Sponsored

Trlr8tdd

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition JT, 2013 JKR
Occupation
Aviation Chief Inspector
Installed the N-Fab steps today, not the greatest fit. The company said they would do “something “ for me. Pax side wasn’t too bad but the drivers side forward mount was about 15 degrees off, had to perform surgery to get the pinch weld seams to line up. I’ll post pics when it’s daylight

Chinman

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s

Cut it and if you’re not happy then try the bezel. You won’t be out anything.
Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 0FD21A25-50EC-4020-83DB-F7567375A15B

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
Cut it and if you’re not happy then try the bezel. You won’t be out anything.
I'm very anal with my vehicles. So, I knew I wouldn't be able to look at it every day if I just cut it since it wouldn't look OEM. Especially on a brand new truck when I knew ahead of time that it was doable (although a pain).

Sponsored

ExitLeft

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I'm very anal with my vehicles. So, I knew I wouldn't be able to look at it every day if I just cut it since it wouldn't look OEM. Especially on a brand new truck when I knew ahead of time that it was doable (although a pain).
Wrestling with this myself, but damn, that a lot of effort to get that bezel out.

JTCHELLEW

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 98 Wrangler, (X) 2011 JKU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Quadratec goodies installed yesterday: entry guards for front/rear and floor mats for front and dead pedal. My left foot was going crazy, no clutch after 10 years. Bartact spider bite paracord handles on order.

91B8E3AB-2440-488F-8732-FD8327586BEC.jpeg

7F658A77-D14F-43FE-BE7F-59CDEA8E1259.jpeg

0801B068-AA2B-4A75-961B-16A4360641A1.jpeg