First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR 6MT, '55 Manx Clone Bug
Build Thread
Link
How is reception with the low antenna off the hood like that? I have a Compactenna for my dual band mounted like that and I found it really limited the range on it. I've got the long antenna from Midland for my MX275 but I'd like to find something shorter for use in the mountains.

I just got it in so will need to do some testing with it. I also got the 6db antenna so want to eventually do some testing, but will need to wait till I can get some friends out. But from what it seems, the 3db ghost should be better in woods and elevation as it makes a bit more of a cloud around than a flat pancake to the distance. To be honest, I got a lot to learn on these LOL.

More excellent details. So you ordered the CoolTech mount and cable only (order option #2 on website) and purchased the separate ghost antenna from Midland?

Nothing else needed to adapt that ghost ?
I actually ordered up all the stuff from them, except for the ghost antenna. But was given the antenna as a free drop in to give them a few pics. They have an install kit for the JL at a really good price, but the mount that kit comes with is for a JL, but as they offer the front mount as well, i asked for a similarly discounted package for the JT with just the antenna mount swapped. I just requested it, so don’t know if it was posted to the page yet to one click order.

And yes, the ghost antenna is a standard NMO mount so works with the NMO cable.

7202B325-BFCD-44E5-96B2-994AC11983BD.jpeg

224E4782-DFDE-416E-93A1-D5066013C4E1.jpeg
Sponsored

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
We didn’t have power and it was kind of fun. A lot of people were impressed and thankful, except one “know it all” who asked us why we were doing the work and told us we should have called the city. I wanted to say, I’m sure they’ll come right out if it wasn’t a Saturday morning, hundreds if not thousands of trees are down, we have 1” coat of ice, and 180,000 people are without power. I just kept working, but was thinking, you’re a dumb ass!
Agreed. The useless dullard won’t help his neighbors and expects the government to do everything for him. Be a contributor to your community, not a leech. Help where you can. That’s how I was raised.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Bit the bullet and ordered the Genesis dual battery setup.

We had a terrible ice storm the past few days and my neighbor’s tree blew up from the weight of the ice. It blocked the sidewalks and fell across the street. It looked like it was hit by a strike of lightening! We used the winch on my rig to clean up the mess and moved all the limbs to an area out of the way so the sidewalks were clear and traffic could flow again.

We didn’t have power and it was kind of fun. A lot of people were impressed and thankful, except city. I wanted to say, I’m sure they’ll come right out if it wasn’t a Saturday morning, hundreds if not thousands of trees are down, we have 1” coat of ice, and 180,000 people are without power. I just kept working, but was thinking, you’re a dumb ass!
if it wasn't on a powerline, i'd be helping you out. Some people fear unnecessary work. I kind of enjoy it, plus when we had a big storm here it was fun when random neighbors show up to help stack logs when I was cutting up the two big trees that blew over my lawn onto the road. How long did it take you to?

StingGrayJT24

First Name
KH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon Gladiator
Agreed. The useless dullard won’t help his neighbors and expects the government to do everything for him. Be a contributor to your community, not a leech. Help where you can. That’s how I was raised.
Exactly! I couldn’t agree more. We need more people willing to help others.

StingGrayJT24

First Name
KH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon Gladiator
if it wasn't on a powerline, i'd be helping you out. Some people fear unnecessary work. I kind of enjoy it, plus when we had a big storm here it was fun when random neighbors show up to help stack logs when I was cutting up the two big trees that blew over my lawn onto the road. How long did it take you to?
We were lucky, no down lines in our neighborhood, but others in the area are not as lucky.

We probably worked on it for about a hour or so. I swear it was harder work being careful so we didn’t slip and fall on our rears!

Sponsored

Bacstar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Data Analyst
Cowl brackets arrived so i can mount some used rigid 3" cube lights.
Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 20210213_170546 (2)
Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 20210213_174229

Took it to the local offroad park and night to check out the lighting:
Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] IMG_1876

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] IMG_1880

Last edited:

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Bit the bullet and ordered the Genesis dual battery setup.

We had a terrible ice storm the past few days and my neighbor’s tree blew up from the weight of the ice. It blocked the sidewalks and fell across the street. It looked like it was hit by a strike of lightening! We used the winch on my rig to clean up the mess and moved all the limbs to an area out of the way so the sidewalks were clear and traffic could flow again.

We didn’t have power and it was kind of fun. A lot of people were impressed and thankful, except one “know it all” who asked us why we were doing the work and told us we should have called the city. I wanted to say, I’m sure they’ll come right out if it wasn’t a Saturday morning, hundreds if not thousands of trees are down, we have 1” coat of ice, and 180,000 people are without power. I just kept working, but was thinking, you’re a dumb ass!
Reminds me of when a tree blown down out where I live right after I moved in a big cedar tree blocking the road. To get around it you had to drive into a ditch, my first thought was stop and pull out of road. One of the people who lived just past it drove up asked me why I was winching it out of the way in the storm. My curt response was what if a firetruck or ambulance needs to get in and I'd hate to have someone die over that. Then the guy across the road from it came out with his chainsaw and few others started helping clear the road.

Mayhem 6

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR; 2020 JLUR; 2015 JKW; 2016 JKUR (Sold); 2014 JKSS (Sold); 2008 JKUR (Sold)
First oil change at 5K and Installed a GMRS radio

Midland MXT275 radio
Midland Ghost Antenna
Midland handset extension cable

And for the antenna mount and handset mount got it over at CoolTech LLC

I’ll do a little more of a write up of the install and such, or add to one of the recent GMRS threads.
Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] IMG_1880
Interesting power setup. Mine has the Aux switches, so I ran the direct-to-battery line in inboard the passenger floorboard to the main radio box tucked behind the glovebox and grounded to the grounding studs on the outboard passenger floorboard.

Also, since I mounted the antenna on the driver side, I found dropping the windshield and running the antenna line under the dash to the passenger side and dropping in behind the glovebox a super easy way to route.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Interesting power setup. Mine has the Aux switches, so I ran the direct-to-battery line in inboard the passenger floorboard to the main radio box tucked behind the glovebox and grounded to the grounding studs on the outboard passenger floorboard.

Also, since I mounted the antenna on the driver side, I found dropping the windshield and running the antenna line under the dash to the passenger side and dropping in behind the glovebox a super easy way to route.
I bought the 12v power pigtail so mine is wired to that

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0886DNNSP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the same one that Quadratec sells but a little cheaper and way faster shipping if you have Prime

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR 6MT, '55 Manx Clone Bug
Build Thread
Link

I have a snorkel on so while I did see the drop windshield and route method, there was a grommet near the clutch that made it a reasonably quick entry.

And no Aux switches on mine. Do wish I got that option as it’s fairly inexpensive, but spendy to do afterwards.

I have a 12v power port tap incoming so I can hardwire it behind the dash and lose the plug. But I want to add an inline switch and also change the 12v plug to be constantly on. I don’t think I’ve used that 12v port yet, and a dash cam would also be nice, so waiting to see what else I want powered up before doing up a harness.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I just got it in so will need to do some testing with it. I also got the 6db antenna so want to eventually do some testing, but will need to wait till I can get some friends out. But from what it seems, the 3db ghost should be better in woods and elevation as it makes a bit more of a cloud around than a flat pancake to the distance. To be honest, I got a lot to learn on these LOL.
Yeah I'm in the exact same situation where I have a lot to learn with the finer details. The Compactenna for my dual band is similar to this and it's good for trail rides while my +6dBi Comet is good for more open desert. I'm really wondering about a thin aluminum plate on a roof rack as counterpoise but not sure if that requires an electrical ground or not... it would be nice to mount the Compactenna and a Laird ghost antenna for my GMRS up there and not really have to worry about it.

Gregbj33

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2017 Wrangler
Occupation
Store Manager Weis Markets
Got my new grill insert(was replaced by under the sun for free due to paint peeling off the first one) installed along with Oracle grill lights. Very happy with both!

41FF38B5-A6D5-478B-A852-AF77AFCA593A.jpeg

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Installed brand new, old school, ice remover to my bed rails!
Total time of project - 20secs.
Difficulty of project - 1/2 wrench
Total cost of project - $0 (stole it from my wife’s car)
Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 41FF38B5-A6D5-478B-A852-AF77AFCA593A
More useful than them expensive angry shovel's "Everyone who who" Overlanding has??? 🤔
:giggle: especially in last few days and weeks/ months for many.