First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Sold it, and got a 4Runner….TRD Off Road Premium w/ KDSS. Took me a long time, alot of effort to find one, and camping out ifo a dealer to get it without a mark up. While i was stroking my check, 5 people came in to buy it. One yelled at the sales person for not being able to get it.

im a Toyota homer. Always have been…Land Cruisers have taken me -literally- all over the globe. So, when I couldnt take the gladiator on my move, it seemed logical to go back. Front bumper and winch, Elka suspension, ARB skids, TRD intake and exhaust, URD fuel controller, tires, KDSS controller, and more already going on now.

well. I will say, part of me wonders if i shouldnt have gotten a JL.

the tech, infotainment, and user interface of the 4Runner is hot garbage. The OS is stable, and seemingly quick as uConnect, but its not close outside of that. It doesnt dim with the interior lights…separate dimmer in a menu, which is stupid. if you get out of the truck while it is running, you cannot lock or unlock doors from the fob Which bothers the shit out of me. Remote start shuts the car off when you open the door, and you have to restart. The 5spd/od gear box isnt bad, but its way behind the 8spd in the jeeps, and mileage suffers in comparison. My stock 4Runner gets the same as my Gladiator did with 37’s, 4.88, armor, and the supercharger

its not all bad, though. The traction systems are LIGHTYEARS ahead of Jeep. Like, better than lockers. A-trac is amazing, and combined with MTS, it simply cannot be beat. The 1500lb payload is, imo, the bare minimum for an overland vehicle. KDSS is a dream…it handles like a sport sedan around corners. The 4.0 engine has a lot more low end grunt than the jeep 3.6. And omg- an outdoor enthusiast vehicle that has cup holders that fit a Nalgene?!?! Amazing.

I love the 4runner, but if i had the last 5 days to do over, I might go to jeep and see if i could get a suitable JL with a 2.0 engine optioned the way I want with a sticker under $50k…..i guess with the prices of used 4Runners i still could….haha. T4R is a great truck, i just think im surprised how much I miss my jeep, and seeing how far Jeep has come that a Wrangler unlimited and a 4Runner can be in the same conversation.

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 7F93CC58-5431-4B93-B7D6-0BFB62D15E29
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sponsored

TheScott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Sold it, and got a 4Runner….TRD Off Road Premium w/ KDSS. Took me a long time, alot of effort to find one, and camping out ifo a dealer to get it without a mark up. While i was stroking my check, 5 people came in to buy it. One yelled at the sales person for not being able to get it.

im a Toyota homer. Always have been…Land Cruisers have taken me -literally- all over the globe. So, when I couldnt take the gladiator on my move, it seemed logical to go back. Front bumper and winch, Elka suspension, ARB skids, TRD intake and exhaust, URD fuel controller, tires, KDSS controller, and more already going on now.

the tech, infotainment, and user interface of the 4Runner is hot garbage. The OS is stable, and seemingly quick as uConnect, but its not close outside of that. It doesnt dim with the interior lights…separate dimmer in a menu, which is stupid. if you get out of the truck while it is running, you cannot lock or unlock doors from the fob Which bothers the shit out of me. Remote start shuts the car off when you open the door, and you have to restart. The 5spd/od gear box isnt bad, but its way behind the 8spd in the jeeps, and mileage suffers in comparison. My stock 4Runner gets the same as my Gladiator did with 37’s, 4.88, armor, and the supercharger

its not all bad, though. The traction systems are LIGHTYEARS ahead of Jeep. Like, better than lockers. A-trac is amazing, and combined with MTS, it simply cannot be beat. The 1500lb payload is, imo, the bare minimum for an overland vehicle. KDSS is a dream…it handles like a sport sedan around corners. The 4.0 engine has a lot more low end grunt than the jeep 3.6. And omg- an outdoor enthusiast vehicle that has cup holders that fit a Nalgene?!?! Amazing.

I love the 4runner, but if i had the last 5 days to do over, I might go to jeep and see if i could get a suitable JL with a 2.0 engine optioned the way I want with a sticker under $50k…..i guess with the prices of used 4Runners i still could….haha. T4R is a great truck, i just think im surprised how much I miss my jeep, and seeing how far Jeep has come that a Wrangler unlimited and a 4Runner can be in the same conversation.

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 20220119_164845_resized_20220119-170013
I agree with everything you said about the 4Runner. I've had Wranglers and 4Runners for the last 20 years and couldn't decide on a 4Runner or JL, so I bought a JT Rubicon for myself and a TRD Off-Road Premium 4Runner for my wife.

I've caught myself mother effing the 4Runner for the same issues you called out, especially locking the doors while leaving the rig and the remote start. Something else that drives me nuts it the favorite channels only display the station number, not the name. I am a big XM user and can't remember all those numbers!

FA8562A6-E41E-46B4-8E43-50E2FDDBEBEB.jpeg

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
Trimming is required unless you have a factory metal bumper. It’s pretty easy, I put the rails up where they should mount, marked the bumper and just used my dremel to trim it. The kit comes with some nice rubber trim that hides the cut and gives you a nice finished edge.
Man I literally was contemplating getting those. I literally put them on my wish list on Extremeterrain yesterday. Now hearing there is trimming required, not so sure how much I want to do them now. Looks good though nonetheless. Just not a fan of trimming away anything. Seems too permanent.

Could you maybe DM me some detailed pics of this trimming required?

Sponsored

insanitize

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Commando, 07 Rubi JKU, 2024 MINI, 21 Gladiator+
Occupation
NYC-DOT, Retired
Put a hardtop on my Sport that I bought used.
Coming from a JKU to the JT, the JKU was much easier to swap roofs than the JT.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
I agree with everything you said about the 4Runner. I've had Wranglers and 4Runners for the last 20 years and couldn't decide on a 4Runner or JL, so I bought a JT Rubicon for myself and a TRD Off-Road Premium 4Runner for my wife.

I've caught myself mother effing the 4Runner for the same issues you called out, especially locking the doors while leaving the rig and the remote start. Something else that drives me nuts it the favorite channels only display the station number, not the name. I am a big XM user and can't remember all those numbers!

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] IMG_2630
yeah the xm thing is annoying too.

i think its honestly more that the uConnect in JL and JT is so good…beyond anything else on the market…no matter what you get into next, it sucks. my mom came to visit with her honda, and WOW is that system THE. WORSTE.

4runner is a great truck…for my uses (overland), the KDSS suspension reigns king. Especially with extended travel shocks and a kdss controller.

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
Nice, I just picked up a set of cheaper silicone covers, but I do not like how they don't hug the key area very well. I couldn't find a solid fob I liked on Amazon or Ebay... had no idea these existed.. they look perfect. Would you mind posting or PM me some pics of the back and how the key functions ? I noticed they have some texture options, but yours looks smooth. I like them.. Thanks !
I have the model S in the smooth finish and I am very happy with it. Functionally it operates no different than the factory case, other than the key is external.

20211101_200308~2.jpg

20220119_235653.jpg

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 20220119_235653
I've had 3 tundras and a highlander over the last 10 years and I definitely enjoyed them, but I laughed when I read the remote start comment. God that drove me crazy lol. Totally agree on the infotainment systems too, very behind the times. My 2014 ram with the 8.4 was way better than the system in my 2018 highlander.

The awd system was pretty damn good in it though.
Sponsored