What did you expect from a JEEP?! (So, WHY did you buy a Jeep?!)

DunnMan

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Actual quote...

3u7isa.jpg
You do realize you can have a key fob without it being the size of a hand grenade...right? Nothing like blind brand loyalty to make people forget about simple, easy improvements and it would stlll be a Jeep.

Advertisement

DunnMan

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
it's funny how any complaint about anything automatically is answered by "it's a jeep thing". you expect a vehicle to get more refined/reliable as the years go, hence jk to jl.

i agree a lot of it is stupid (or so minor in that they can easily be fixed without the bitching ex. fob size) but there are a few valid gripes. this is a forum btw, where else would you talk about issues to see if it's a normal thing? there are a lot of new jeep owners, including myself. if anyone really knew about all the 'jeep things' before purchase they probably wouldn't sell so many jls.

i can't count how many tricks i learned here that make me enjoy my jt even more. it's a jeep, but it doesn't mean i can try to make it better. maybe i shouldn't try to mod my jeep to fit my needs...said no one ever
Haven't you heard, you never question the all mighty FCA. Bend the knee and kiss the ring of Jeep.

DunnMan

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
The bed of my truck is dirty from use. I've hauled generators and gas in it this past week - yes, I bought a TRUCK so I could have a TRUCK to use. The tailgate top edge guard even has a couple of nicks in it. I hauled a 100 year old engine to Indiana in the truck last February - it's a TRUCK - DUH. I also had some car parts I had restored for other folks that I delivered to Indiana. And coming back, I had more car parts in it to restore. It's a TRUCK.
I wanted a Jeep AND a truck but could not afford both - or could I???? Saw the JT in a showroom while my wife was getting her Grand Cherokee serviced. There was my answer............. I can have a Jeep AND a truck!
In Iowa you are thankful for the capability of going through deep snow and not having to worry about plowing your 120 foot long all up hill driveway. Drifts be damned. And if someone gets stuck on the show field at one of our car shows, I can pull them out of the muck.
I wonder - if I put a winch on the front of my JT and someone needs a car winched up onto a trailer at a show because their car died or they blew out the driveshaft or their flywheel EXPLODED on the track (actually happened) could I put their trailer on my front hitch and then winch their car onto their trailer?
The JT is also more narrow than my Silverado was so when I have a heavy load in the back (like a generator) I can back my truck under the gantry crane and lift the load up off the box. The JT fits between the uprights on my gantry crane, my Chevy would not. What a pain.
I love the JT....but I bought it as a toy, not a truck. Anyone who actually NEEDS a truck would be stupid to get a JT. A 1/2 tonne pickup from any of the big 3 would run circles around our JT as an actual truck.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Yes, this is true. However how many people only need a 1/4 ton for occasional truck needs? This is the market that Gladiator was designed for because if you needed moar! dodge sells those across the lot.

Twisting and misrepresenting your argument, what then was the scrambler? Was it the answer to the guys who felt a courier/ranger or s10/LUV or toyota/datsun options were too big and truck like? It, like the gladiator, is a truck for when you need it and a jeep for the rest of the time.

But yeah, if you need moar! dodge has got you covered and if they were feeling froggy they would use the platform to cook up a hard single cab long bed, like a super max tow for when you need a little less jeep.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
You do realize you can have a key fob without it being the size of a hand grenade...right? Nothing like blind brand loyalty to make people forget about simple, easy improvements and it would stlll be a Jeep.
In my case brand loyalty has nothing to do with it, since this is my first Jeep.

I just wonder why so much energy spent on complaining about something so minor, when the vehicle is such an excellent example of design, engineering, and production.

Oh, and by the way, just for the record:

DSCF3000.jpg

OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Haven't you heard, you never question the all mighty FCA. Bend the knee and kiss the ring of Jeep.
No OEM is perfect certainly not FCA. But the POINT OF THIS THREAD is
What did you expect from a Jeep? So why did you buy a Jeep?!

You want to bitch about the Key Fob or not having a idiot light telling you the tailgate is down - go do that on the many complaint threads.

415hWsxhDFL._AC_.jpg

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
I dunno, his point is valid; if you need a real trucky truck for ugly dirty truck tasks, a gladiator is not your truck. If you need a truck to go get some KD stuff at Ikea or bring a new washing machine home it's great. Anyone who feels otherwise is cordially invited to go get an old J2000 or J20 and drive that around for a bit; the tune will change.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTO, '21 WK2, '04 WJ, '82 SX4, '73 Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto tech, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTO, '21 WK2, '04 WJ, '82 SX4, '73 Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto tech, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I dunno, his point is valid; if you need a real trucky truck for ugly dirty truck tasks, a gladiator is not your truck. If you need a truck to go get some KD stuff at Ikea or bring a new washing machine home it's great. Anyone who feels otherwise is cordially invited to go get an old J2000 or J20 and drive that around for a bit; the tune will change.
Sort of.
It all depends on the SIZE or WEIGHT of the load you need hauled. I've owned everything from a 66 Chevy 3/4 ton (C20) (4 speed with granny low), 1970 Chevy C20, 87 Comanche, 95 F250 4x4, 2011 Silverado 4x4. The only thing they did the JT can't is haul extremely heavy loads or pull extreme loads in hills and mountains.
If size matters, I simply hook onto a trailer. If weight matters, same thing - up to the limits of the towing rating.
This will go places my other trucks wouldn't, it turns sharper, fits better in tight spots, maneuvers my trailer well (tight turns, etc. - and the front receiver helps).
It's like telling someone
"if you need a truck you must get a 3/4 ton 4x4 as a half ton 2 wheel drive doesn't count at a truck.
Or you need a 1 ton dually because anything else is wimpy and not a real truck.
how many NEED something bigger or heavier - or do they just have that full-size truck because there wasn't much else out there smaller?

loaded-from-omaha.jpg

IamWardicus

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently Driving: Sport S Max Tow Gladiator in Sting-Gray
Occupation
Management in a retail setting
My first Jeep ever and I love it. I got mine because I wanted the once or twice a year utility of a truck , Something 4x4 or AWD for the unexpected crap that Ohio winters can throw at us - and I wanted a Convertible. I got the Gladiator as my all-in-one so it's just a single payment, registration, etc.

Advertisement

Advertisement