What did you expect from a JEEP?! (So, WHY did you buy a Jeep?!)

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I googled that a while back and found this reference on Autotrader: https://tinyurl.com/y39xgwog:
There's more to the article than what I cut and pasted.
The Origin of the Term “Souped Up” Isn’t What You Think

ByWill Kinton

May 8, 2017

" I looked into the origin of "souped up," and it turns out that the origin of the term has nothing to do with the automobile and largely predates hot-rod culture, with it first popping up in the dictionary back in 1911 in reference to a "narcotic injected into horses to make them run faster." In that sense, "soup" was slang for the narcotic involved — you gave the horse "soup," and thus it was said to be "souped up." Of course, its slang usage probably was spinning around the American lexicon before it was recorded by Webster. "
Awesome, thanks for sharing. I love finding out the origins of these phrases people use everyday, but never stop to think about where it came from or what it originally meant.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Ditto, my HS shop teacher had one of those. My grandma had a yellow Gremlin with a brown hockey stick stripe like this one:
6486605E-8BA0-48E3-BF2A-308FB55F6B09.jpeg

My older brother and I always wanted to supe (is that how you spell it? Soop? Soup? I dunno.) up the engine and take it to the local drag strip.
A long time ago I happened across a man in LES NYC with a most unremarkable looking Dart. It was like beige on tan with uncolor interior. Still rocking its factory hubcaps and looked for all the world to be the epitome of sad left out 1970's malaise cruiser.

Then he cranked it up and damn if I didn't get harder than the winter of '32! See at this time I was still very new and fresh in the world of go fast automobiling and was a firm adherent to such modes of thought as mo'muscle mo'hustle and bigger is better so biggest is bestest. And while I do firmly grok that there is no replacement for displacement I have learned that there many roads to many temples, both the old gods and the new.

The nice man who looked like the junior high math teacher had spent much time and effort in making his slant 6 into a giant slayer. Dual 4bbl carbs, two smallish turbochargers and dual exhaust backed with a long and lumpy cam sounded amazing as it barked and snorted off the canyons on NYC.

A 258 isn't much different and they can be made to make some weird power. How cool would a beefed up group b looking rally sx/4 be?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTO, '21 WK2, '04 WJ, '82 SX4, '73 Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto tech, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
A long time ago I happened across a man in LES NYC with a most unremarkable looking Dart. It was like beige on tan with uncolor interior. Still rocking its factory hubcaps and looked for all the world to be the epitome of sad left out 1970's malaise cruiser.

Then he cranked it up and damn if I didn't get harder than the winter of '32! See at this time I was still very new and fresh in the world of go fast automobiling and was a firm adherent to such modes of thought as mo'muscle mo'hustle and bigger is better so biggest is bestest. And while I do firmly grok that there is no replacement for displacement I have learned that there many roads to many temples, both the old gods and the new.

The nice man who looked like the junior high math teacher had spent much time and effort in making his slant 6 into a giant slayer. Dual 4bbl carbs, two smallish turbochargers and dual exhaust backed with a long and lumpy cam sounded amazing as it barked and snorted off the canyons on NYC.

A 258 isn't much different and they can be made to make some weird power. How cool would a beefed up group b looking rally sx/4 be?
There's a guy pushing almost 400 hp from a 258. A couple of Eagle owners have turbos on their cars. I think I have pics somewhere.
I've always wanted to build a beeft 258 - simple to build a big V8 to put out power - you have cubes, but takes some thinking to do it without the cubes. I've got enough parts to build a nice 258 here, even a stroker. I have a 4.0 sitting here, not sure what to do with, blocks, heads, cranks and other parts of 258s and I think enough to put together another complete one. (and I have that prototype aluminum head Clifford Research had made then dropped the project)

When I was in HS there was a green Gremlin we saw now and then. It was a rare sight - so rare we called it the green ghost. Some didn't believe the car existed because sightings were rare - and short - it had a nice built-up 401 in it. Belonged to the daughter of the fellow who ran the largest junk yard in the area - at least that was the rumor. If you caught sight of it, get a good look fast as you weren't going to see it for very long.
Then there's Kevin Fortnot (sp) who has a 7 second yellow Gremlin that does over 180 in the quarter.

CMac

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
There's a guy pushing almost 400 hp from a 258. A couple of Eagle owners have turbos on their cars. I think I have pics somewhere.
I've always wanted to build a beeft 258 - simple to build a big V8 to put out power - you have cubes, but takes some thinking to do it without the cubes. I've got enough parts to build a nice 258 here, even a stroker. I have a 4.0 sitting here, not sure what to do with, blocks, heads, cranks and other parts of 258s and I think enough to put together another complete one. (and I have that prototype aluminum head Clifford Research had made then dropped the project)

When I was in HS there was a green Gremlin we saw now and then. It was a rare sight - so rare we called it the green ghost. Some didn't believe the car existed because sightings were rare - and short - it had a nice built-up 401 in it. Belonged to the daughter of the fellow who ran the largest junk yard in the area - at least that was the rumor. If you caught sight of it, get a good look fast as you weren't going to see it for very long.
Then there's Kevin Fortnot (sp) who has a 7 second yellow Gremlin that does over 180 in the quarter.
Jesus....imagine 400HP from a 258. The 258 in my YJ was about as powerful as a popcorn fart.

i would never have imagined that much power could be squeezed outta that engine.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Here's one that did 300........found it posted on our AMC forum ->

258-hp.png

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

Banned
First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
  • Banned
57o2qk.jpg

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Brace yourself for the used gladiator whining now that leases are coming due and all the meetoos are jumping ship for the bronco or the trex or the w32 compound charged raptor or whatever the next hot wet mess is gonna be.

Bitching about undoing the shitty mods the first guy did, bitching about the dealers, bitching about the bitcbing.. a gold mine awaits

OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

Banned
First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
  • Banned
Brace yourself for the used gladiator whining now that leases are coming due and all the meetoos are jumping ship for the bronco or the trex or the w32 compound charged raptor or whatever the next hot wet mess is gonna be.

Bitching about undoing the shitty mods the first guy did, bitching about the dealers, bitching about the bitcbing.. a gold mine awaits

If wanna-buy Bronco folks haven't seen the Escape/Bronco in person to know how small it is and what it's really like, here is a tell-all review about the Escape/Bronco

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a36002587/2021-ford-bronco-sport-15t-by-the-numbers/

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Heep Gladiator Rubicon, 2011 Acura TL SH-AWD, 2015 Honda Civic Si, 1992 Trans Am convertible
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I went and drove the 75th Power Wagon. It is a sweet truck but it felt like I was driving an aircraft carrier, compared to my Gladiator. I was surprised the engine felt weeker than the one in my Gladiator (Magnuson add on). My only complaint in the Gladiator at the moment is a bit of wind noise even after I have disassembled the hard top and windshield multiple times, lookong for it and trying to improve it.

Advertisement

Advertisement