Sponsored

What did you REPAIR on your Gladiator today?

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 Honda Civic, '12 Honda CR-V, '16 Honda Odyssey, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Predicting the future
Well, it's been a couple years of Gladiator life. What did you break and how did you fix it? Let's see all the repairs!
Sponsored

MyRight

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Freedom, 2003 Grand Cherokee Laredo
I got a puncture in my left rear tire that Discount Tires refused to patch, so I plugged it and all it well.
Now, going on 7K+ with no other issues.

OP
OP
DLAW

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 Honda Civic, '12 Honda CR-V, '16 Honda Odyssey, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Predicting the future
I just got done fixing my bumper and fender after hitting a deer a few weeks ago. I bought replacement fender clips and push retainers. I used JB Weld Plastic structural weld with the 15 minute set time. (It actually takes a full day before it's fully cured no matter what they say). I like this epoxy better than their 5 minute version which I think is weaker in my experience.

I hit the deer on the driver side and it just clipped the bumper fender but it was enough to do a little bit of damage. It was a small deer and I was able to slow down a lot which minimized the damage.

The bumper metal was bent back a few degrees and several of the plastic tabs which receive screws completely broke apart inside. I used a 6-ft concrete braking bar to bend back the metal once I took the plastic cover off. And one by one epoxy welded the tabs back in place and strengthened up the corners with thick layers of epoxy. The outside of the bumper was in great shape and you can't tell anything happened. After putting everything back together, the screws were tightly fit again and the angle of the bumper looks perfect.

The insides of the fender had five different spots where the plastic broke but on the outside it was still in very good shape. So I took everything apart. Inside the fender I used epoxy plastic weld to fix it up the best I could and luckily there was no damage to my LED lights. I just needed to weld the spots back together where the screws hold it in place. Now you can't tell anything happened! I'm pretty happy with this repair because it only cost me about 20 bucks (pun intended).

IMG_20211027_091939.jpg

IMG_20211027_091926.jpg

IMG_20211027_091914.jpg

PXL_20211211_163239810.jpg

PXL_20211211_163231543.jpg

PXL_20211211_163328551.jpg

PXL_20211211_163259805.jpg

PXL_20211213_143007496.jpg

87chief

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ - 22 JT
Occupation
Caterpillar Parts Manager
nothing like hitting a deer while your bumper is covered in Christmas 👍 lights

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
... chasing infamous 2020 rear window water leak. I opted to not subject myself to the ongoing list of horror stories of the dealer handing these off to a third party and their inconsistent means of replacing these windows..

UPDATE ... Fixed, hasn't leaked a drop since. Installed backer rod prior to sealing with a PU to simplify the process should the window ever need to come out. (Last image is pre-clean up)

Jeep Gladiator What did you REPAIR on your Gladiator today? jtwindow1

Jeep Gladiator What did you REPAIR on your Gladiator today? jtwindow2

Jeep Gladiator What did you REPAIR on your Gladiator today? jtwindow3

Sponsored

Elapid

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
At least you’ve got venison in your freezer, right?

OP
OP
DLAW

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Predicting the future
... chasing infamous 2020 rear window water leak. I opted to not subject myself to the ongoing list of horror stories of the dealer handing these off to a third party and their inconsistent means of replacing these windows..

UPDATE ... Fixed, hasn't leaked a drop since. Installed backer rod prior to sealing with a PU to simplify the process should the window ever need to come out. (Last image is pre-clean up)

That looks really clean. What specific products did you use?

There is this stuff made by OSI called "QUAD". It's an exterior grade sealant in a caulk tube. I have used about 10 tubes of this stuff around the house and it works really well for spots that won't be touched. It remains fairly soft, but I think that's by design to keep the seal. You can buy it in black. Might be an option for anyone having this issue.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I just got done fixing my bumper and fender after hitting a deer a few weeks ago. I bought replacement fender clips and push retainers. I used JB Weld Plastic structural weld with the 15 minute set time. (It actually takes a full day before it's fully cured no matter what they say). I like this epoxy better than their 5 minute version which I think is weaker in my experience.

I hit the deer on the driver side and it just clipped the bumper fender but it was enough to do a little bit of damage. It was a small deer and I was able to slow down a lot which minimized the damage.

The bumper metal was bent back a few degrees and several of the plastic tabs which receive screws completely broke apart inside. I used a 6-ft concrete braking bar to bend back the metal once I took the plastic cover off. And one by one epoxy welded the tabs back in place and strengthened up the corners with thick layers of epoxy. The outside of the bumper was in great shape and you can't tell anything happened. After putting everything back together, the screws were tightly fit again and the angle of the bumper looks perfect.

The insides of the fender had five different spots where the plastic broke but on the outside it was still in very good shape. So I took everything apart. Inside the fender I used epoxy plastic weld to fix it up the best I could and luckily there was no damage to my LED lights. I just needed to weld the spots back together where the screws hold it in place. Now you can't tell anything happened! I'm pretty happy with this repair because it only cost me about 20 bucks (pun intended).

Mine had similar bumper damage, I fixed it by wrapping a tow strap around that part of the bumper and putting it in reverse and slowing backing up with a friend watching. You can’t even tell now, except for a crack on the bottom of the bumper cover. I’m going to fix it with that same plastic weld. It’s on the bottom of the bumper so the line where the crack was will be hardly noticeable.

Sponsored

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
That looks really clean. What specific products did you use?

There is this stuff made by OSI called "QUAD". It's an exterior grade sealant in a caulk tube. I have used about 10 tubes of this stuff around the house and it works really well for spots that won't be touched. It remains fairly soft, but I think that's by design to keep the seal. You can buy it in black. Might be an option for anyone having this issue.
... just an off the shelf Roof/Flashing polyurethane. I did not feel it was a good idea to completely fill in the gap, so I ran a strand of the same cord I use in the fender gap as a backer. The PU bead is only a surface application applied over the backer and runs across the top and down the sides.

After reading so many bad experiences regarding this issue I opted to go this route. Hasn't leaked a drop since, looks close enough to a factory seal IMO, and only took about a 1/2 hr.

Panthers65

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Occupation
Account Manager
The "hook" that I made from an oversized carabiner to hoist my hardtop off scratched the top a little bit, grabbed a sharpie and touched it up.

Master mechanic over here y'all... lol

Sky Soldier

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon current, sold: 2017 JKU Rubicon Recon, 2007 JKU Sahara, 1995 2dr Sport, 1979 CJ7 AMC 304
Occupation
Retired
Both sun visor brackets repaired under warrant.

Zero_Accel

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Trying my luck with warranty work for the infamous 2020 rear window leak, we'll see how that goes.

Also fixing the previous owners hack job on the front fog harness for the pod lights, they decided they didn't want to spend the 20 bucks for a factory plug and harness to properly splice into/pin out, and used those shitty t-tap splices that rattle loose, so now I get to fix that terrible splice as the lights stopped working. Hope it's not to difficult.

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
Taking mine in on the 28th for sun visor repair. Visor will not stay attached to windshield frame. 31,000 first issue so far.
Sponsored