First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeel Gladiator
Occupation
Maintenance Supervisor
My JT is now 2 yrs old and I want to get 37's, BUT I've heard my stck axles will snap at some point. I'm getting ready to get front and rear lockers and regear. I don't have a lift yet, but I have DV8 slim fenders installed. What exactly do I need to properly run 37's?
- regear
- tires
- ?
I'm not asking for the be all wishlist or most badass set-up out there, just what SHOULD I have at a minimum? I don't go crazy Rock crawling mostly Overlanding. I don't plan on getting a lift till after I get the JCR Vanguard bumper with both swing outs. I'm waiting on the lift so I don't have to pay twice for springs and shocks with all the weight I have in the back.
Jeep Gladiator What do I need to properly have 37's 20201010_092822
Sponsored

Largemarge_JT

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesel
At minimum I would say wheel spacers and 2 inches of lift. Do you have the max tow package? Axles should be the same as a rubicon if so.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Unless you have 3.73 gears you don't HAVE to regear.

2"-2 1/2" lift with shocks, longer front LCA's, track bar, drag link bar, tie-rod bar.

You will wear out ball joints faster, but don't need them right now. When you do, get the rebuild-able all steel ones and not the OEM with plastic bits in them.

Wait on buying wheels until you decide on what lift. You can ask them what back space you need. Most specify it, but some don't have a number posted so ask up front.

Don't worry about the axles. If you aren't bouncing rocks or sending it on hill climbs, they're pretty tough.

SpeedNeed

First Name
Speed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon, S4, Panamera
Related topic: is there much of a difference between the Rubicon Fox shocks and the MOPAR lift kit Fox shocks? Seems like that kit is road I’d like to go (for warranty) before getting 37’s.

Sponsored

Largemarge_JT

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesel
Related topic: is there much of a difference between the Rubicon Fox shocks and the MOPAR lift kit Fox shocks? Seems like that kit is road I’d like to go (for warranty) before getting 37’s.
The Mopar lift fox shocks have more travel to account for the additional lift. Other than that I’m not sure if there are any differences.

OP
OP
PLEG1972

PLEG1972

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeel Gladiator
Occupation
Maintenance Supervisor
Unless you have 3.73 gears you don't HAVE to regear.

2"-2 1/2" lift with shocks, longer front LCA's, track bar, drag link bar, tie-rod bar.

You will wear out ball joints faster, but don't need them right now. When you do, get the rebuild-able all steel ones and not the OEM with plastic bits in them.

Wait on buying wheels until you decide on what lift. You can ask them what back space you need. Most specify it, but some don't have a number posted so ask up front.

Don't worry about the axles. If you aren't bouncing rocks or sending it on hill climbs, they're pretty tough.
I do go on trails but I haven't gone past "intermediate " trails yet.

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Cyber Security
The Rubicon Fox Shocks are Much Much softer than the Mopar lift shocks. 100% valved different.

Frenzy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction Manager
If your going to crawl on challenging trails you should have a skid plate package, stout differential covers, both axles trussed, swap the front axles for an RCV Ultimate Dana 44 Axle CV Set and the rear for new Yukon shafts. But since you don't plan to crawl hard and overlanding is your primary goal then you don't need that stuff, and $5,000 + 37" tires will suffice.
Jeep Gladiator What do I need to properly have 37's 1649820611414

Sponsored

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
A while ago I saw somebody post about this in detail. The Mopar lift ones are higher quality. Stock rubicon shocks are not that special despite the Fox stamp.
And I believe the aftermarket Fox shocks like 2.0 are better still.
You get rubicon take-offs because they’re cheap. You get Mopar lift so you can get it financed or with warranty. You go aftermarket for best quality.

Brojave22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
ATC
A while ago I saw somebody post about this in detail. The Mopar lift ones are higher quality. Stock rubicon shocks are not that special despite the Fox stamp.
And I believe the aftermarket Fox shocks like 2.0 are better still.
You get rubicon take-offs because they’re cheap. You get Mopar lift so you can get it financed or with warranty. You go aftermarket for best quality.
Fox shocks on the rubicon are the 2.0s

OP
OP
PLEG1972

PLEG1972

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeel Gladiator
Occupation
Maintenance Supervisor
If your going to crawl on challenging trails you should have a skid plate package, stout differential covers, both axles trussed, swap the front axles for an RCV Ultimate Dana 44 Axle CV Set and the rear for new Yukon shafts. But since you don't plan to crawl hard and overlanding is your primary goal then you don't need that stuff, and $5,000 + 37" tires will suffice.
Jeep Gladiator What do I need to properly have 37's 1649820611414
What is the down side of getting the lockers and regeared for 37's but keeping My 285/70R17 tires for a bit...till they "NEED" to be replaced? My JT is 2 yrs old at 42k tire are still great. I found a shop (reputable) that will do both lockers and gears for a reasonable price...no labor for the gears if I do them with the lockers.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
If it's not a Max tow, Mojave, or Rubicon you may want to consider a regear, 3.73 will not cut it. 2" of lift is plenty enough to run 37's on the JT and if you don't have any of the 3 I mentioned then you will need wheel spacers or different wheels. I'm running 37's on my Max Tow on stock gears, 4.10, and I have 2-1/2 SST Readylift installed with Rubicon front springs as well. I'm on stock wheels with no spacers and no rubbing. I average around 17.2-17.9 mpgs for the most part, had it as high as 19 on a few long trips. Your axles will hold up fine no need to worry about that. Your ball joints will probably wear out around the 110,000 to 120,000 mile mark.

Jeep Gladiator What do I need to properly have 37's PXL_20220315_220315579.MP

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I do go on trails but I haven't gone past "intermediate " trails yet.
I have 37’s, and I’m not sure you’ll be happy with 3.73 gears. The other stuff depends on how hard you are on it. If you expect similar performance with the transmission, 3.73 gears will be pretty bad with 37’s. I would have left mine at 4.10 if I went with 35’s. When I decided on 37’s, I regeared to 5.13.
Sponsored