Sponsored

What exhaust upgrade did you go with? Cool one from MBRP...

DylanR

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I am liking the aggressiveness of this one from MBRP...

and a few from aFe

Sponsored

Last edited:

highoctane

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Don't know if anyone watches the streetspeed717 youtube channel, but he did a cheap DIY exhaust on his JT. Basically cut the last resonator and tail pipe off the very back, cut the entire exhaust out from behind the crossmember, and reattached the small black resonator and tail pipe. It sounded good, and I plan to do something similar, but extended further back so it dumps just in front of the axle. Should cost me less than $40.

Gregbj33

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2017 Wrangler
Occupation
Store Manager Weis Markets
Did this ^ yesterday! I think it sounds awesome! Certainly not raspy as a lot of the exhausts for our engines sound. Also, combined with my k and n intake, certainly picked up some pep. I feel the engine just runs easier without the restriction of airflow.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Did this ^ yesterday! I think it sounds awesome! Certainly not raspy as a lot of the exhausts for our engines sound. Also, combined with my k and n intake, certainly picked up some pep. I feel the engine just runs easier without the restriction of airflow.
What exactly did you do?

Gregbj33

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
What exactly did you do?
I removed entire exhaust by cutting it off just after where it bolts onto truck after the cats. Only spot where there’s a clamp, otherwise it’s 1 piece all the way to back of truck. I then cut off the tailpipe/resonator piece(entire black section at the end). I used some straight pipe and connected that where I cut off the exhaust then reused the tailpipe part by connecting it to the straight pipe. It ends just after cab of truck where the bed begins. I did use multiple adapters to make it work as the pipe wasn’t exactly 2.5”. I did however verify no leaks anywhere.

Sponsored

Gregbj33

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I’ll post a pic Tomorrow but not the prettiest install by sight, but again it works and sounds good.

bhbdvm

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon, 2016 BMW R1200GS
I just installed the Magnaflow street single driver side exit.

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Mbrp tends to be very raspy and drone at speed. Not a fan at all

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I saw a nice setup that sounded great due out from injen soon.
I'll probably take it to a local shop an have one installed. Generally cheaper and you can just bring whatever muffler you want. I did a 6in dynomax on my JK. Same muffler in their crawler kit but ended up being half the price.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DylanR

DylanR

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Can you get the same performance upgrade if you picked up a muffler then let the shop custom bend and weld up a 2.5 - 3” pipe?

what’s the advantage / disadvantage of that...

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Can you get the same performance upgrade if you picked up a muffler then let the shop custom bend and weld up a 2.5 - 3” pipe?

what’s the advantage / disadvantage of that...
Swapping exhaust doesn't actually give you anything like the marketing claims say. It's more for sound and weight dropping than performance. Sure they flow more freely but the engine isn't tuned to take advantage of the leaner condition. The factory system adjusts to keep the air-fuel ratio into spec anyway. The extra flow of the exhaust only allows for slightly less back pressure at wide-open throttle which.... It's a jeep not a drag car.

But having a shop bend a tube in vs buying a kit is really no different other than who does the work.

OP
OP
DylanR

DylanR

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Dumb question I guess but I have never thought much about it until the JT as I always had the muffler shop weld up my exhaust.

so if I just pick a muffler out online and then take it over to the shop and have them install a 2.5 or 3” pipe from the cat back... is that the same thing as ordering a cat back exhaust from the company...

Basically your just getting a pipe already bent... when ordering + the muffler???

this could save me some cash....

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Dumb question I guess but I have never thought much about it until the JT as I always had the muffler shop weld up my exhaust.

so if I just pick a muffler out online and then take it over to the shop and have them install a 2.5 or 3” pipe from the cat back... is that the same thing as ordering a cat back exhaust from the company...

Basically your just getting a pipe already bent... when ordering + the muffler???

this could save me some cash....
That is exactly what it is.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant

But having a shop bend a tube in vs buying a kit is really no different other than who does the work.
Not necessarily so...

Many if not most of the manufacturer kits use a mandrel bending machine which keeps the same internal diameter through the bend...
Many muffler shops use a less expensive machine that can actually slightly crimp the pipe in the bend resulting in a slightly reduced internal diameter and a slight reduction in performance...

you want to be sure to ask your shop if they have a mandrel pipe bender.
Sponsored