Sponsored

what future engine options, non deisel?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Dangit, for the life of me, i can't find what motor guys were talking about they were hoping would be coming. I think it was a turbo straight 6? it was something non-diesel with more power than the v6, but not a v8.
Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so the 3.6 pentastar doesn't have direct injection yet? Didn't honda have this like 10 years ago?

That rumored straight 6 is expected 405hp, that would be nice!

Last edited:

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
so the 3.6 pentastar doesn't have direct injection yet? Didn't honda have this like 10 years ago?

That woud be exceptionally nice. Although I am awaiting the Ecodiesel. I would more than seriously consider that engine.

Sponsored

bruno747

First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK 2 Door Rubicon Recon
I'm curious how if 4.5 cylinders deep (v8 forward offset side) doesn't fit for crash tests how the heck 6 cylinders would?

No way this happens without a redesign to make the nose longer.

EDIT

looking through the article again, it says no more than 3" longer than the 4cyl. Man those pistons are gonna be about as big around as a Coke can to fit 6 in that length with cooling and enough strength. Small bore long stroke maybe?

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
I'm curious how if 4.5 cylinders deep (v8 forward offset side) doesn't fit for crash tests how the heck 6 cylinders would?

No way this happens without a redesign to make the nose longer.

EDIT

looking through the article again, it says no more than 3" longer than the 4cyl. Man those pistons are gonna be about as big around as a Coke can to fit 6 in that length with cooling and enough strength. Small bore long stroke maybe?
Small bore, long stroke, and very high-strength sleeves to allow thinner walls. This is the advantage of building an engine for a specific set of requirements, rather than having to build a vehicle around existing (decades old) powerplants. Neither the pentastar nor the Hemis are models of compact and efficient use of space, nor are they terribly modern in any way shape or form.

blau iii

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 335i, 2014 X5, 2021 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Is that turbo six going to be available with a 6spd? I'm doubtful given the limitations of the current 6spd but hopeful.. I miss my 5spd xj with the 4.0. my god that thing had torque for days!

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation

Small bore, long stroke, and very high-strength sleeves to allow thinner walls. This is the advantage of building an engine for a specific set of requirements, rather than having to build a vehicle around existing (decades old) powerplants. Neither the pentastar nor the Hemis are models of compact and efficient use of space, nor are they terribly modern in any way shape or form.
I find the Pentastar to be quite modern, with it's internal exhaust manifold, very nice cam profile for a broad torque curve, excellent fuel efficiency, great dependability, and without all the problematic "features" of other brands engines. Everyone who's been around the auto industry over the last ten years knows that direct injection runs very dirty, causes issues with soot and carbon buildup, is more finnicky with fuel octane rating, and doesn't provide any real world advantages at all. The Pentastar meets or exceeds the power and MPG levels of any competitors' offering, and I REALLY appreciate the fact that FCA has purposefully kept this engine reliable and free of unnecessary design.

Is that turbo six going to be available with a 6spd? I'm doubtful given the limitations of the current 6spd but hopeful.. I miss my 5spd xj with the 4.0. my god that thing had torque for days!
The 4.0L (I owned a few of those too) was excellent in it's day. But by today's standards it's a boat anchor. They leaked oil like a sieve, got miserable gas mileage, were extremely heavy, and made only about 230 lbs/ft of torque at peak. They also had hit or miss reliability with some of them going 300,000 miles and others not even making it to 100,000 before cracking the head or eating the cam or crank sensors, valves, or frying the ECU. I wouldn't take another one if you offered it to me for free.

The only reason the 4.0L was acceptable in the 1980s and 90s is because the YJ and TJ were smaller and very lightweight.

Sponsored

blau iii

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 335i, 2014 X5, 2021 JTR
Build Thread
Link
I find the Pentastar to be quite modern, with it's internal exhaust manifold, very nice cam profile for a broad torque curve, excellent fuel efficiency, great dependability, and without all the problematic "features" of other brands engines. Everyone who's been around the auto industry over the last ten years knows that direct injection runs very dirty, causes issues with soot and carbon buildup, is more finnicky with fuel octane rating, and doesn't provide any real world advantages at all. The Pentastar meets or exceeds the power and MPG levels of any competitors' offering, and I REALLY appreciate the fact that FCA has purposefully kept this engine reliable and free of unnecessary design.

The 4.0L (I owned a few of those too) was excellent in it's day. But by today's standards it's a boat anchor. They leaked oil like a sieve, got miserable gas mileage, were extremely heavy, and made only about 230 lbs/ft of torque at peak. They also had hit or miss reliability with some of them going 300,000 miles and others not even making it to 100,000 before cracking the head or eating the cam or crank sensors, valves, or frying the ECU. I wouldn't take another one if you offered it to me for free.

The only reason the 4.0L was acceptable in the 1980s and 90s is because the YJ and TJ were smaller and very lightweight.
yea but much like a crazy ex-girlfriend, it's easy to look back fondly.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004

Baby steps Steph, baby steps. The article is probably correct in the "after 2020" scenario at best, but an FCA "surprise" certainly would be an unexpected nicety ! I'd be happy with the (also) suggested Pentastar 3.6 upgrades - perhaps a Turbo similar in fashion to the current 2.0L in the JL, WITH the eTorque. OR, I'd be willing to give an eTorqued only 3.6L version for 2020 JT or JL's -- it appears to be working quite well at it's intended Specs, according to JL Forum members.
Nothings perfect in an imperfect world ? Boy though, a 3.6 Turbo - nothing drastic, mild is ok (for ME) - just enough for greater Torque #'s ! Being able to run "efficiently" on "just" 89 octane would be a +, that 91 will continue to get more & more expensive as the year zooms on . . . ! While I'm dreaming, let me add that FCA/JEEP still needs to strongly Consider upping the Horsies to 295 ( WK2 ) or 305 ( DT ) as far as the 3.6L is concerned . Power to weight ratio as compared to in house - JLU and (say) G.C. is poor . . . + 400 pounds+ poor ! Just my personal pet peeve, nobody get your undies in a knot over it . . . please. ;)
Sponsored