Sponsored

What generator for a travel trailer and dry camping?

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Bought an older TT yesterday, picking up Friday. We're going to beta test up in the Sacto Delta this coming weekend, but a big motivation for this trailer is A) my wife gets to scratch her decorating itch and B) we get to go dry camping in BLM/NF undeveloped territory.

It used to be "spend the money and buy a Honda" as the start and finish of a portable generator conversation.

Has anything changed? Is a genset on the cargo basket a silly idea in this age of "high" crimes and misdemeanors?
Sponsored

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SS eco Diesel
Occupation
Real Estate
Does the TT have an air conditioner? If so what size? Do you even want to use A/C while dry camping?

We picked up a Champion 3,150 Watt "ultra quiet" generator from Lowe's that will run the 13k BTU air conditioner on our TT. I want to say the price was around $700. For that same price you can't even get a 2,000 Watt Honda.

If you only need to charge batteries for lights and fans, you're good with a 2,000 watt generator but if you need to run A/C you will need a bare minimum of 3,000 watts.

Oh and to me there is a significant difference in noise output between the "ultra quiet" versions and the standard versions that aren't enclosed in plastic with sound batting.

OP
OP
brianinca

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Ahhh great idea to check Lowe's!!! I was figuring Costco, but I will add Lowe's immediately.

AC is definitely a requirement in the Southwest and yeah the sticker shock for Honda gensets hit me square in the wallet. I'm glad to hear the industry is catching up to the noise level standards that Honda set. My old hunting grounds had a Craftsman generator next to the cabin, the damn thing was deafening.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
You get what you pay for with generators, the higher priced ones have a better more steady voltage regulator, yes Hondas are good so are a lot of others. I have a fleet of small diesel and gas generators, all are pretty good stuff, we have had problems state paving inspectors computer equipment on cheap generators. Usually unloaded they can be any where from 140 to 170 volts phase to ground, where a quality genset will be in the 120-125 range. Once a cheap generator has load on it voltage will come down to within specs.
Beings I’m an electrician portable generators should be grounded to some kind of ground rod, they all have a ground point on them to hook to.....Jack

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SS eco Diesel
Occupation
Real Estate
I meant to mention the difference between the inverter generators (which is what I bought) and traditional generators ... the inverters can run in "eco" mode and reduce engine RPM based on load whereas the traditional generator must run at a consistent 3200 RPM.

The newer inverter generators provide a consistent AC voltage which is important if you keep electronics plugged in (laptop, TV, etc).

Sponsored

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
Jeep Gladiator What generator for a travel trailer and dry camping? Resized_20200810_114118_6707

I have the Honda Handi EU3000i. If your AC is 13500 BTU this is a great unit. When I got it new I filled the oil reservoir added gas and then pulled slow to prime it, you know to get the gas to circulate and it started!
It wasn't cheap.

gt3mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I strongly believe you get what you pay for with portable generators. The more expensive the stuff you are powering, the more you potentially benefit from a better generator. Or you can take your chances with a cheap generator, and maybe you will be absolutely fine.

I have a Honda, and it has worked great for me when I have needed it. If I had to do it again, I'd look at the Yamaha generators with the battery "Boost" feature that enables starting an AC that would run on the rating of the generator but not start.

Hockeypilot44

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Wrangler
The Predator's from Harbor Freight are decent and half the price of Honda's. Not quit as quiet but close enough.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Also check out Yamaha. They are a bit cheaper than Honda and seem to be just as reliable.

PS either of the 2,000/2,200 offerings can be paralleled. 4,000watts

mstrav73

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Electric start is nice if the wife needs to start it. I have the Honda EU3000is with my enclosed trailer. They make several in this size but this one is electric start and has the larger fuel tank so you don't need to fill it up every 4 hours, can go all night if running electric heaters no problem.

As mentioned you need a 3000 size minimum to run an overhead a/c unit, maybe watch craigslist for a used low hour gen

Sponsored

Forum Crawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Working for the man every night and day
Jeep Gladiator What generator for a travel trailer and dry camping? Resized_20200810_114118_6707

I have the Honda Handi EU3000i. If your AC is 13500 BTU this is a great unit. When I got it new I filled the oil reservoir added gas and then pulled slow to prime it, you know to get the gas to circulate and it started!
It wasn't cheap.
This. Same one we have for our camper.

THE gold standard.

mstrav73

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
This. Same one we have for our camper.

THE gold standard.

That one only has the 1.6 gallon tank that lasts about 7-8 hours, the 3000is has 3.4 gallons and last all day or night no problem, much better for dry camp and not having to get up in middle of night if running a 1500 watt heater. Having factory wheel kit is nice though depending where it needs to sit.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
If you are a boondocker, I would think a propane fed generator would be good. Unlike gasoline it has an unlimited shelf life plus use it for the grill.

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
We do alot of dry camping at NASCAR tracks and I spent years looking at generators. Its nice to see about 1000 or more in a camp grounds and NASCAR folks like to talk so you get lots of comments. Anyway in the end I went with 2 - Eu2000i Hondas. I tried the champion and in one year it was falling apart. 90% of the units I found in the campgrounds were the Honda, but also saw Yamaha and the Champion stuff. Only complaint I heard from the Yamaha folks were parts and repair. Most said not many places to get them fixed. Champion was the same and I see other places selling them now but no good ideas on who fixes them. My father has a Harbor Freight Preditor 2000 watt for his motorhome. He only runs it a few hours to charge batteries or watch TV. Its louder than my single Honda but does the job he wanted. As said i went with 2 Hondas. I did this cause the 3000 was bigger than i wanted to lug around and the 2000 let me run one or the other or both to give me AC. The other advantage is if one craps out I can still charge up batteries and such. They also fit in the compartment perfect. The 3000 I would of needed a hitch rack or something. I find i use the 2000 alot for other stuff also. Toss in the back of the JT and go do something where i need power.

BTW it was sticker shock but after almost 10 years now i have done nothing but oil and gas sine day one.

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
I will second the Harbor Freight Preditor 4000. Its ratings and reviews are really good, it's and inverter generator, and basically half the price of the Honda. Only draw back is 5db louder.
Sponsored