First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Hydro-Blue Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Jedi
Wondering what everyone thinks about High-lift vs bottle jacks or is there another good option when off road?
Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
Wondering what everyone thinks about High-lift vs bottle jacks or is there another good option when off road?
Depends. If you don't have experience with a high lift jack then a bottle jack is better. If you have experience with a high lift then you know the answer.

High lift jacks can cause a lot of damage to the rig for the uninitiated. With practice, and using them where appropriate, they are great. PITA to carry around without a good mount but useful nonetheless.

OP
OP
Pat2Alaska

Pat2Alaska

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Jedi
Depends. If you don't have experience with a high lift jack then a bottle jack is better. If you have experience with a high lift then you know the answer.

High lift jacks can cause a lot of damage to the rig for the uninitiated. With practice, and using them where appropriate, they are great. PITA to carry around without a good mount but useful nonetheless.
Used a high-lift many times on the farm growing up so have experienced the dangers! I'm concerned about carrying it around on the rig. Bottle Jacks seem to be pretty unstable. Have you every used or seen anyone use an air bag jack, like the X-Jack? I have a portable compressor so wouldn't use the exhaust.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Used a high-lift many times on the farm growing up so have experienced the dangers! I'm concerned about carrying it around on the rig. Bottle Jacks seem to be pretty unstable. Have you every used or seen anyone use an air bag jack, like the X-Jack? I have a portable compressor so wouldn't use the exhaust.
Oh man, I've seen lots of weird stuff on the trail. Dirt stuck ingenuity at it's best! The X-Jack looks interesting and cheap (https://www.amazon.com/Mophorn-Jack...ocphy=9029015&hvtargid=pla-569205907586&psc=1) but I've found a good winch to be the best dirt stuck insurance policy. Hey, anything in a pinch wins in my book. :like:

OP
OP
Pat2Alaska

Pat2Alaska

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Jedi

Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, have the winch installed, just not liking relying on stock scissor jack if I need to change a tire!!!
Depending on where you are you'll get a free tire change courtesy of Mopar for the next few years! 24 Hour Towing Assistance covers jump-starts or towing to the nearest FCA US LLC dealer and is applicable for the term of the manufacturer's warranty period of 5 years or 60,000 miles (gas) or 5 years or 100,000 miles (diesel), whichever comes first.

OP
OP
Pat2Alaska

Pat2Alaska

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Jedi
Depending on where you are you'll get a free tire change courtesy of Mopar for the next few years! 24 Hour Towing Assistance covers jump-starts or towing to the nearest FCA US LLC dealer and is applicable for the term of the manufacturer's warranty period of 5 years or 60,000 miles (gas) or 5 years or 100,000 miles (diesel), whichever comes first.
Yep, the "where you are" piece is the issue! One time we ran out of gas in my wife's Cherokee just west of Denver at dusk on a heavily traveled road. Assistance told me it would be about 8 hours before they could get there. Needless to say, I walked to get gas!!

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
Good video. I'd never even heard of this exhaust jack. Or maybe i have, but i thought it was something else....

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
Yep, the "where you are" piece is the issue! One time we ran out of gas in my wife's Cherokee just west of Denver at dusk on a heavily traveled road. Assistance told me it would be about 8 hours before they could get there. Needless to say, I walked to get gas!!
I would say just wait for the Molle back organization system in the back of the pickup bed and then get a Hilift Jack - so that you can mount it there...

https://www.quadratec.com/categories/winches-recovery/jacks-lifters

ARB makes an X-Jack too, but I have to tell you there is something sexy about a Hilift Jack mounted on a Jeep ;)

Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Last edited:

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
The high lift jack with right and I say again the right accessories is great, a tool that is needed with a lifted jeep. The next most important is a good 4 way lug wrench, the factory wrench might be good for truck monkey accessories. I then however carry a d handle shovel, axe, pick and a good bow saw in addition to other goodies.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
The factory scissor jack is just about useless unless you are on a hard flat surface and it won’t move. If you have a suitable jack board a bottle jack is great provided you have a good interface between it and the vehicle, a good saddle to cup the axle tube comes to mind. I have a jack board built up from sections of 1.75” 20” microlam beam. Need more? Add another plate, I can shim up 5”.

High lifts are pretty much the old bumper jacks we had for ever and if you know how to use it that’s great. If not either learn or sell it. I like that they can be used like a manual porta-power to a degree, not that I’d want to be winching with it but hey I like sleeping in my own bed. Ive seen too many rotting away on fancy hood mounts because some decided they look cool. Guess it goes with the sun bleached and dry rotted axe and pick/shovel set and the spare they will never get back up.

The bag jacks are seriously cool for when you’ve tipped it over. I’ve used them as a fire fighter and you can lift crazy amounts with relative ease. Just remember to keep them in good condition and treat them right.

Depending on how challenging your conditions and how much you like to over pack I would say all three can be used as they address individual and specific situations. If you absolutely had to you could just notch cut a log and stuff it under the axle then drive forward and up you come. Thank you army recovery manual for that tire changing trick I hope to never need.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Get a 12T bottle jack. I would never, ever use a hi lift to change a tire
Sponsored