What octane gas do you guys run

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
I’m curious to what all you guys run? I have always ran 87 since I bought it. However with the gas pipeline issue I was only able to find 93 the other day and it seemed like the truck liked it better. I don’t know if it was in my head or not but truck seemed to run smother and had more pick up. Do you guys ever run anything over 87
Sponsored

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
Probably placebo effect. Test it yourself have someone fill it without you knowing what they put in.
The rule of thumb is always run the lowest you can, as it has more energy per gallon. The additives that raise octane lower the amount of energy in the gas.
My wife's LR4 says to run premium but I tested that on a long road trip. 91 on the way down got 2 mpg worse than 87 on the way back, sure I didn't have all the power the engine could make on on 87 but we were going for efficiency.

OP
OP
LiftedrubiconJT

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
Probably placebo effect. Test it yourself have someone fill it without you knowing what they put in.
The rule of thumb is always run the lowest you can, as it has more energy per gallon. The additives that raise octane lower the amount of energy in the gas.
My wife's LR4 says to run premium but I tested that on a long road trip. 91 on the way down got 2 mpg worse than 87 on the way back, sure I didn't have all the power the engine could make on on 87 but we were going for efficiency.
You are probably 100% right.

aceisback

Banned
Banned
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
DoD (forced to resign courtesy of FJB), Retired Marine
Yep, just your subliminal conscience trying to justify the price difference.

Sponsored

Bucephalus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator/ 20 AMG GLB 35/ 02 Ranger/ 06 BMW M3
Occupation
Laboratory and Medical Supplies
I've only used 93 since i bought it. There's a Chevron by work that has the best prices in town. 93 is the same price as 87 elsewhere. I was getting about 22+ MPG. A few days before the pipeline deal the prices at the gas station increased, so I just used 87. I got less milage, 17+mpg but i feel the performance is the same. The owner's manual specifically says that higher octane won't net better performance, while that may be true. The MPG most defiantly increased with 93.

Reactions: DHP

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
The engine should be 93. It’s compression is well over the threshold and it’s well known that it pings since they upped the compression on it. I run 93 like it should have been.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
No reason to run anything above 87. The 3.6 isn’t a high compression performance engine; it’s a truck/van motor

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
No reason to run anything above 87. The 3.6 isn’t a high compression performance engine; it’s a truck/van motor
Patently false. It’s 10.2:1. Up from 9.6:1.

General rule of thumb is 9.3:1 and below for 87. Jeep got this one wrong. Which is why the new 3.6s ping so much.

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
The book in my glove box says to run on 87 and that's what I'm doing. It says that there is no added bonus to running a higher octane, and if that is correct, then gas is already expensive enough without me running the higher octane in the Gladiator.

Sponsored

IamWardicus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently Driving: Sport S Max Tow Gladiator in Sting-Gray
Occupation
Management in a retail setting
I run 93 however I did have my engine tuned for higher octane fuel (I run it on a 91 tune). For the first couple months I only used 87 from my Costco (best fuel prices in my area)

Bucephalus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator/ 20 AMG GLB 35/ 02 Ranger/ 06 BMW M3
Occupation
Laboratory and Medical Supplies

General rule of thumb is 9.3:1 and below for 87. Jeep got this one wrong. Which is why the new 3.6s ping so much.
I've never had pings in any car..regardless of octane. What brand of fuel are you using?

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah that's probably in your head. I ran 93 for a few fill ups back when winter gas began and mine seemed to run worse after a few fill ups. I switched back to 87 and haven't looked back. Probably not doing any harm though for a few fill ups if need be but really just a waste unless you tune it to burn the gas right and then it's probably still a waste. If they ran better on 93 then that's what they would tell us to run from the factory. The engineers but a lot time and effort in squeezing every mpg out of these things.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase

I have zero ping on 87 octane in mine and I get good gas mileage.
Sponsored