Sponsored

What the heck is this? Is this real? Aluminum Rubicon 3 piece bumper...

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock; 1987 Jeep Wrangler Laredo; 1988 Porsche 911, 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Not all at the same time.
https://www.extremeterrain.com/mp-concepts-jeep-wrangler-forged-aluminum-front-bumper-j134510-jl.html?utm_content=XTBumpers-FullWidth|MPConcepts&T5_Var4=J134510-JL&intl=0#customer_q_and_a

Has someone made an aluminum bumper that looks exactly like the Rubicon steel??

Jeep Gladiator What the heck is this?  Is this real?  Aluminum Rubicon 3 piece bumper... C4F49FC0-E330-4918-BFF4-B14F32A6365C

Edit: well, I’m looking at the reviews and pictures, it seems like there is one out there. Some guys had packaging issues, but mostly happy. This might be another option for those of us looking for the Rubicon steel bumper to replace the factory plastic...
Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
WOW 41 lbs is LIGHT! That's 70lbs less than the Chinese steel clone!

Now wait a minute, the Q&A doesn't match the pictures at all. They clearly show a winch capable bumper and have a picture of a winch mounting plate to boot. Then in the Q&A there is the statement "there is no winch mounting location in this bumper" - WTF?

Then the parts & features explicitly call out a winch plate. The reviews don't look that promising overall.

Looks like the shipping weight is closer to 63 lbs, so the 22 lb winch plate must be included. Still 50 lbs lighter than steel. Hmmm.

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Yep, it's real. Real light. Not including the winch plate, it's even lighter than the factory plastic bumper.

If you want to gamble, keep your eyes open for an open box that'll be a few hundred dollars less. They have them quite often.

Yes, there is a 1/4" steel winch plate. Will not fit Rubicon because of sway bar motor mount.

Last edited:

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
List of parts included

What's in the Box

• (1) Bumper
  • (1) Winch Plate
  • (2) Winch Plate Brackets
  • (1) Skid Plate
  • (2) Skid Plate Brackets
  • (2) Fog Light Bezels
  • (1) Fairlead Cover
  • (2) Fog Light Brackets
  • (8) M4x0.7 20mm Allen Bolts
  • (8) M4 Washers
  • (8) M4 Flange Nuts
  • (8) M6x1.0 20mm Allen Bolts
  • (12) M6 Washers
  • (8) M6 Flange Nuts
  • (6) M12x1.75 30mm Allen Bolts
  • (14) M12x1.75 Flange Nuts
  • (6) M12 Washers
  • (8) M10x1.50 30mm Allen Bolts
  • (8) M10 Washers
  • (8) M10x1.50 Flange Nuts
  • (5) M8x1.25 Allen Bolts
  • (5) M8 Washers
So I'd say there is a winch plate

OP
OP
Dewyaw

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock; 1987 Jeep Wrangler Laredo; 1988 Porsche 911, 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Not all at the same time.
Shoot, I don’t need a winch plate, don’t want a winch. Lighter than the plastic bumper I have now?? I may roll the dice on this one, this might be exactly what I’m looking for...

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Be forewarned, this appears to be manufactured in China. There may be no installation instructions, there may be misalignment of mounting holes, there may be missing hardware.

Also, everyone knows that a JL front bumper will fit a JT, but nowhere is there any mention of this fitting a JT.

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Be forewarned, this appears to be manufactured in China. There may be no installation instructions, there may be misalignment of mounting holes, there may be missing hardware.

Also, everyone knows that a JL front bumper will fit a JT, but nowhere is there any mention of this fitting a JT.
There are two reviews for the gladiator. One for a rubi and one for a mojave.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
There are two reviews for the gladiator. One for a rubi and one for a mojave.

That may be, but where it is listed it does NOT mention JT.

This item is listed on alibaba and shows country of origin as China. The knockoff steel JT bumpers also are from China and all the problems I listed have shown up on those.
Just trying to get a word of caution out.

OP
OP
Dewyaw

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

No doubt it’s from China. My wish list for a front bumper has always been the 3 piece Rubi, and aluminum, knowing that was impossible. Until now. So as much as I hate it, it’s probably coming from China.

One of the reviewers put it on a Mojave, which is what I got, it seemed to work for him.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dewyaw

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alright, I just ordered one, I’ll update here once installed...

OP
OP
Dewyaw

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT

This item is listed on alibaba and shows country of origin as China. The knockoff steel JT bumpers also are from China and all the problems I listed have shown up on those.

Anybody that buys 'open box is a gambler' by nature. hahaha.

nevertheless, good luck to the OP.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

Really? I had NO issues with mine. Perfect, direct fit. Holes aligned, nothing missing and who the heck needs instructions to install a simple bumper? Take off the old, bolt on the new, put the wings on it, done.
I got mine installed. It slipped right into place. It had everything needed to install it.

Check the source on some MOPAR branded parts.......

Here's a kicker for ya - many times body parts - doors, fenders, bumpers, hoods and other panels, the body shop uses to put your vehicle back together after an accident are often factory seconds? Yup - I've got a number of NOS parts for cars, trucks, etc. from DEALERS and struggled to put them on. Then after getting deeper into my restorations and hanging with some people who WORKED in the factories and body shops and such, we did some comparing of notes and found that the new grill you ordered from the dealer MAY be one that was less than perfect so was set aside to sell as a replacement - as we say "let the consumer/body shop deal with it and make it fit".
I bought a new side for one of my Chevy trucks - "some of the holes were gone" - (sorry to Johnny Cash). It took some serious tweaking with long tapered punches to pull and stretch and bend a bit to get it in place. The factory won't do that in all cases.
I've bought new bumpers for cars where I had to do some tweaking to get brackets to line up with the bumper holes. I have a pair of NEW IN THE BOX parking lights for a car - the holes are mis-drilled. I have a new grill on the shelf for another car - the paint is all wrong on it - from the factory. Sell it as a replacement part.

There's no guarantee of a perfect fit or instructions that make sense on anything you buy these days.
I don't know if my bumper came with instructions or not, if it did, I likely tossed them in a pile of stuff, bumpers are easy.
Sponsored