Sponsored

What the hell is up with the Euro spec Gladiator?

The Duck of Earl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In flux
Somehow I stumbled across the Euro spec Gladiator and man is it a weird but pretty cool package. Looks like it is an Overland, but comes with the Mojave hood. O ya, and its only offered in the the EcoDiesel engine, but comes with Selec-Trac.

Jeep Gladiator What the hell is up with the Euro spec Gladiator? 1658373184834

Honestly, one of the reasons I am not currently considering the EcoDiesel option is because you can't option it and Selec-Trac. I figured it was engine torque problem, but if its on offer in Europe, then what the hell again??
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Have you seen the EU rules and laws?
The bumper, hood and other parts have to pass their pedestrian protection laws.
There's actually another decent thread on this exact thing explaining the body appointments - the bumper, hood, grill, etc.
That's Overland built to comply with their safety laws. With the bike and pedestrian traffic in some of those countries - and pedestrians come first, unlike the USA.
Anywho - there's a thread here talking about the front ends on the Jeeps in EU and why.........

Who knows how the diesel is tuned there. It may be tuned down a bit. They are sold there because that's what's in demand, that's what is sold there and not for the reasons they are sold here. Torque isn't why they buy diesels there. So if they were detuned, no one would care. That may explain the transfer case.
They don't give a rip about torque, towing, that sort of thing. But because of fuel, emissions, and so on, diesel is what sells there and they must burn clean.
I'd bet EU is why we even have diesel Jeeps in the USA. but in the states, it's all about power and torque and how much can I tow.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Diesel is a little cheaper than gasoline in most of Europe. Used to be alot. But not no more.

El Barto

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Mercury Cougar ‘73
Diesel in Europe have about 264 hp and 600 Nm torque. After tuning mine has 300 hp and +660 Nm. That’ s a lot more than the petrol. That makes it a lot more pleasant to drive than the petrol version. At this moment diesel is as expensive as petrol over here. The only thing that’s missing is the roaring sound of the petrol engine…

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Diesel in Europe have about 264 hp and 600 Nm torque. After tuning mine has 300 hp and +660 Nm. That’ s a lot more than the petrol. That makes it a lot more pleasant to drive than the petrol version. At this moment diesel is as expensive as petrol over here. The only thing that’s missing is the roaring sound of the petrol engine…
600Nm is 442 ftlbs. 660Nm is 486 ftlbs.

Sponsored

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
We have the options, Overland and launch edition.
All (only)´Eco Diesel, 194 kW (264 PS) 600 Nm (as Rusty stated 442 ftlbs). So the same specs as in the states.
Euro 6d-ISC. 4wd Auto, Command Trac, Trac Lock (limited slip locker) rear axle. Tows 2.722 kg (about 6000 lbs)
https://www.jeep.de/jeep-gladiator/verbrenner/leistung
Jeep Gladiator What the hell is up with the Euro spec Gladiator? 1658395405285

Like Papa said Pedestrian Protection. We like to call it the lunch bench. Perfect for stopping and sitting on to have a snack. Tailgating but at the front :rock:
hehehehe not like it makes a difference if you hit someone with the duck beak or the metal bumper at the speeds people drive here. Or like we did, import and therefor no one cares that we do not have the bumper pedestrian protection approved shape.
Lots of people having problems with the regen and adblue system though. Otherwise, cool vehicle.

OP
OP
The Duck of Earl

The Duck of Earl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In flux
Like Rusty and Playfulbird said - power is the same (so its not an engine torque limitation on Selec-trac itself), which is why I am confused why Europe gets the full time 4wd as standard, but America is left without the option.

willhonkforparts

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD & 2008 JKUR
Occupation
Self-loathing

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L; 2021 JTR EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
When I was in Europe, often times there wasn’t an upcharge for the Diesel engine if it was an option. I suppose since the gladiator is only offered with the ecodiesel, they can build in the upcharge and people won’t know.

Sponsored

Tommyd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Grounds manager
Have you seen the EU rules and laws?
The bumper, hood and other parts have to pass their pedestrian protection laws.
There's actually another decent thread on this exact thing explaining the body appointments - the bumper, hood, grill, etc.
That's Overland built to comply with their safety laws. With the bike and pedestrian traffic in some of those countries - and pedestrians come first, unlike the USA.
Anywho - there's a thread here talking about the front ends on the Jeeps in EU and why.........

Who knows how the diesel is tuned there. It may be tuned down a bit. They are sold there because that's what's in demand, that's what is sold there and not for the reasons they are sold here. Torque isn't why they buy diesels there. So if they were detuned, no one would care. That may explain the transfer case.
They don't give a rip about torque, towing, that sort of thing. But because of fuel, emissions, and so on, diesel is what sells there and they must burn clean.
I'd bet EU is why we even have diesel Jeeps in the USA. but in the states, it's all about power and torque and how much can I tow.
Exactly. They get all sorts of cars and trucks in diesel over there that we can’t.

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
im trying to get a hold of those cool side mirror housings with clearance lights.
I believe those are turn signals, and the mirror housings can be sourced in the US. I've seen some threads around about retrofitting those, a search should turn it up.

In fact, I believe the High Altitude package comes with them.

Last edited:

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
i assume the higher Mojave hood is better for pedestrian safety.

Can't imagine the gladiator is a popular pick over there. For less money you could have an M3. I get Wranglers and Gladiators aren't exactly value propositions here either, but it seems to be much worse in Europe. What ammounts to a 65k USD Overland here in the states is a 77k EUR Overland in Germany (79k USD converted)

Mball488

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Military
The "Lunch bench" bumpers can be replaced with a steel in Germany. The TUV kindly reminded me when I had my 15' JKR with factory steel on that I can only have that if I install a winch. Weird law. Also most if not all export models of the JT/JL do not have an aluminum hood, they are steel which is why they always look different than ours. Another weird thing is I never saw a Jeep without leather interiors while living there. Its as if cloth wasn't an option 😬

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
fuel, emissions, and so on, diesel is what sells there and they must burn clean.
Diesel was cheaper than petrol for the longest time. Right now it is either close to the same or more expensive. €2 /liter Diesel and €1.80 for petrol, today around the corner. The big part of why Germans love their Diesels is the economy (mpg) Until very recently it was much more affordable.
Diesel Engine vehicles are taxed higher than petrol. I pay €830 (it would be over 1000 if it was a new vehicle as the taxes have gotten more expensive and the way they calculate, thats why a lot of downsizing is happening also) a year in taxes for the 2005 Grand Cherokee Diesel and would pay about €480 for a similar sized vehicle with petrol. As we have the gladiator we can register it as a truck, which means we pay even less in taxes :)
As to burning clean, there are different levels. Red yellow green stickers(okay that is the simplest form there is another Euro1/2/3/4/5/6, depending on where you are driving it may happen that you are not allowed to enter a zone if you do not have a certain level vehicle, inner cities for example) and they get checked and stuck on your windshield every two years (every year for trucks) when the vehicle has to pass an official inspection to be road legal.

The government is trying to get diesels and combustion engines in general off of the road. Diesel has suffered under a sort of smear campaign(I say so because even the newest engines, especially in SUVs with great emissions are being targeted as evil and bad). Emissions and fine dust. The government wants to ban sales of all new combustion engines at a certain date. Currently, we are talking 2035.

So far diesels are still selling because of commuters, but it depends on what happens with the prices. As soon as petrol is cheaper, it would swap. The people who care what engines they drive (motor heads) are mostly into petrol. There is a smaller community of diesel enthusiast and often also into towing (horse trailers, caravans/campers tiny ones in comparison to the states, etc.). We have a lot of industry trucks that run diesel but many are now also using lpg (liquid petroleum gas) or other alternative fuels

all sorts of cars and trucks in diesel
We do get some vehicles and engines that you do not get, but we also do not get a lot of the v8 options or just for example 4runner and tacoma and their engine options. We have Hilux and Land Cruiser and one diesel and one petrol option for each at the moment I think.

Wranglers: New you are now only able to order the Jeep Wrangler 4xe 4 Door, all other options have been canceled. No 2 door etc...
There is a balancing act of what they call fleet emissions. So Stellantis for example has a limit of how many combustion engines and connected emissions they are allowed to bring new to the market and needs to provide x many electric or hybrid to offset their diesel and petrol emissions. Otherwise they have to pay a huge fine. Mercedes for example pays a hefty fine to continue selling the G class, obviously that cost is passed to the consumer (also the reason they are bringing an electric one)

pedestrian safety
TBH the safety thing is rubbish. Thousand rules that don't make sense with hundreds of stupid loopholes
An example, steel bumper, they do not like to permit and needs to be added to your vehicles registration by an inspector. Unless you say I need this bumper to carry a plow or a winch, they do not see a reason for the bumper. You have to either find a person that is nice enough to just look the other way and add it to your papers, buy a metal bumper and mount a winch (which then needs to be mounted otherwise they won't add it) or show an inherent need for the bumper by proving that you need a winch or plow because you own a wood or do plowing roadwork in winter for your community.

@Mball488 like you said while I was typing

So you can't just get a rubicon metal bumper and have them add it to your papers, can buy a winch mount and winch or... you can if you buy the rubber foam protector mount shown below and then they will gladly add the bumper for you.

Jeep Gladiator What the hell is up with the Euro spec Gladiator? 1658412308236

Or you can just import an entire rubicon and then they don't say anything because I have a document that states it came like this from the factory and off the lot in the states or canada or from wherever I imported it.

gladiator is a popular pick
No it is not popular. Too many issues with the adblue stuff, way too expensive and offroading (unless you go to a private venue or offroad park or a few dirt rubble roads in the alps) is illegal. So what can you do with it. It is not a great work truck. For similar money or a bit more you can get a RAM 1500, you see a lot more of those (especially in the countryside, although a lot of people use it as a statement in the city) at the moment than I ever thought, and way more than Gladiators. You get the looks and the waves, but it makes no sense.
You can buy a Hilux, Amarok (VW) or a Nissan ...just to name a few, all midsize trucks for way way cheaper with better service and better deals. Makes more sense if you own a garden service or are in construction and even then German professionals prefer vans.
Sponsored

Last edited: