First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR / TJ / CJ5 / MB
Occupation
Elec Eng
I have a stock JTR, would like a set of chains for a winter trip to Colorado. Use here in NC would be rare so looking for the most economical but not the cheapest option that will keep me safe and meet requirements of local authorities.

thanks
Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
IF you still have the OEM 33" tires, you have far more options with cable type chains. I used that style on a 31" equipped Ford with aluminum factory wheels, at the time that was the only way to avoid damage (as opposed to conventional chain style). They were also a LOT cheaper and lighter.

Laclede is the brand I bought from the local O'Reillys (chain autoparts store) as they have a huge warehouse space and had the size for 35" I needed in stock at the time - the 50 lbs of chain link kind. Dammit.

https://lacledechain.com/tire-size-lookup/

Edit to add: the cable chains only weigh 10 lbs!!!

Stock No.Tire SizesWeight Per Pair
3027*285/70R1710

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S MaxTow
The cheapest set I could find for show-and-tell with the CHP. Always told to have ā€˜em, never needed them except to show I had them. Required to put them on once in 20yrs, and even then I took them off 1/4 mile down the road. šŸ¤£
Just make sure you have snow-rated all-terrains and be careful drive slow enough to stop if you have to (I brake-check myself gently a few times at low speed to test when in doubt). If rolling mud tires, put cables on rears only and be careful not to understeer yourself into a ditch (donā€™t ask how I know šŸ˜†).

Ghostwave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 cj8
If you can, get snow tires for a trip that long. They donā€™t really cost ā€œextraā€ since you are not putting those Miles on your existing tires. The trouble is the up front cash and storing an extra set of tires until worn out.

Chains are good for short distances. Not really ideal for a long trip. You put them on for the worst of it, like the top of a mt pass and then promptly take em off as soon as you can. In the meanwhile, you are like 25mph and if you actually needed them, happy to go that fast.

As to whether an AT is good enough. Depends. Never as good as snow tires, but On flat, hard packed snow, probably. On glossy ice or freezing rain, they are terrible. Problem with heading over Mt. Ranges in winter is you are getting two different types of weather on each side, which increases the chance you will eventually find the kind of conditions that are not ideal.

beware of those who report outcomes based of a single location experience

OP
OP
Jcsii

Jcsii

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR / TJ / CJ5 / MB
Occupation
Elec Eng
Thanks for all the input, been a long time since I needed then (20+yrs) and the options seem to be more than I remember. Ladder and diamond arraignment, different tension etc. some may even help with mud ...

Sponsored

MTDIRK

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado ZR2
Save your money and just buy me a beer on your way through Denver. You donā€™t need chains in CO unless you are a semi. I70 occasionally closes for a night and if bad enough to need chains you probably wonā€™t want to go any where anyway. If you are staying in a mountain town you will be fine with throwing some sand or snow in the bed.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
Last edited: