What to do with my Hellcat Gladiator

Johnny3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hellcat JTR, 2000 TJ
I find myself in a bit of a situation...

I bought a 2020 Hellcat Gladiator for, what anyone in their right mind would agree is a STUPID good deal. All the pieces are there, asthetically in amazing shape - 13k miles, a really nice truck, no regrets given the price paid. BUT, theres a reason that it was a stupid good deal... it runs like CR4P.

It doesn't start well, it kinda has a mind of its own on throttle, it has huge power delivery problems (under partial throttle acceleration > 3000rpm), the transmission shift points are really inconsistent and terrible for the street. It cruises the highway at 75mph GREAT, but thats not what I bought it for.

The (nationally recognized) shop that did the conversion briefly answered a first email but has failed to respond to follow up emails and several calls. I am still in touch with the seller, he's great, no issues there. He wasn't really up front about how poorly this is running but it was cheap and its not his car anymore - no biggie.

I took the Gladiator to a shop by me, well known for dyno tuning Hellcats, LTA/LT4s... they said they had never seen anything like this. There is no emissions equipment on the car (no cats - I think they were resonators, no oxygen sensors.... etc), the tune on the JT ECU is locked and the fuel system is sort of 'tricked'. The ECU thinks its a 5.7L (according to the tuners) and/or at times a 3.6L; at no time does it think its a supercharged 6.2L.

I had intended to use this Gladiator as a replacement daily driver, trailer hauler and enjoy the utility of the pick up bed. I have a few toys, including a dedicated off-road vehicle, I wasn't looking for this to be another.

My options:

1) Sell the truck as is, with FULL disclosure and let someone else take on the project
Pretty sure I am even money even after shipping the truck and paying the tax to register

2) Try to pursue the original builder further.
I didn't commission the build. Further, it was done almost 3 years ago... I dont really have any recourse; could there be an easy fix I am missing?!

3) Ship it to AMW for a PROPER conversion, including Tons, and enjoy it. I have been in touch with them (Jared has been awesome).
Pretty sure I am IN the money after a proper conversion... thats why someone would buy it from me now. BUT, going this route would mean that this Gladiator is no longer an ideal "daily"

3) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"maybe its something really cool that I dont even know about"

All input appreciated
Sponsored

OP
OP

Johnny3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hellcat JTR, 2000 TJ
Sure! Make me an offer.

What I am actually hoping is that someone had a similar experience and can tell me what they did. There are hundreds of the kits floating around from the shop that did this conversion. I am purposely not naming them because I dont want to appear like I am trashing them...

95% going with #3 but wondering if I am missing something

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
So it’s a dumpster fire wrapped inside of a shit show, but it was a “stupid good deal?” Was it free ninety-nine?

Good luck getting it fixed and/or sold.🍻

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
You’re in a different tax bracket than most of us for sure. I would probably just do 3 and have it done right and be done with it. Take it as a lesson learned, you’ll still probably be able to sell it for what you have in it after all is said and done.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
You’re in a different tax bracket than most of us for sure. I would probably just do 3 and have it done right and be done with it. Take it as a lesson learned, you’ll still probably be able to sell it for what you have in it after all is said and done.
That’s just it. If someone has that kind of money (I.e. Knew someone that dropped $200K+ restoring an antique Corvette), stroke the check/swipe the card and get it over with.

Sponsored

USMC_1Wire6337

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport S/MT; 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4 HEMI
Occupation
IT
I don't get the vitriol towards @Johnny3 . Was it a case of deal too good to be true? Maybe and he even acknowledges it. I read his post as he is asking a legitimate question regarding how to fix the install/conversion.

John, I really wish I had some answers for you. I am not versed in anything that could help. If spending the money to get it fixed would put you even for what you think you could sell a working conversion, that might be as good as you are going to get on the deal.

I don't know how close you are to AMR, but it might be worth a trip for them to take a peak and see about fixing instead of a full new conversion.

Good luck...

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Man, the times I threw good money after bad...
I would at least give it the good ol' college try one more time and see if you can get a good diagnosis, more information would make the decision easier. You make it sound like you don't trust the tune in the ECM, see if the original installer will reprogram the ECM. If the Hellcat gurus thought it looked funky might be a place to start. That's a shotgun approach, I really have no idea. Good luck.

fishburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I had this same situation with a corvette zr1 I bought for a good deal, it broke down a few miles from the dealer and I was sick to my stomach. I was able to get it home and it immediately went to a tuner for 2k in repairs, mostly tune related. During the year that I had it it had to be retuned again and I put close to 5k in parts. Sold it for a loss. As bad of an experience I had, I would buy it back if I had the chance.
My recommendation is to find a good tuner, put the money in, and enjoy the truck. Something that unique will become your identity to others and when it’s gone you’ll miss it.

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Get it to someone who specializes in these type of conversions. Have them give you an honest estimate then figure about 1.5 times that. If it is something you can live with move forward. You will have a very cool truck. If not unload it and don't look back.

Sponsored

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
What did the dyno shop recommend? What is the PCM for? A gladiator or a hellcat and maybe you need the other? Just spitballing here.

I also don't know that a partial or complete engine teardown may not be in order here either; you may also have mechanical timing issues and that may exhibit similar symptoms.

I don't get the vitriol towards @Johnny3 .
Jealousy. Pure and simple.

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
I think a combination would be good.

First get in touch with the original builder and find out the details of what they did and what the original customer wanted, and work order entailed...

Then with that knowledge do 3, and tell yourself it is an ideal daily driver

Rainman519

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
IMHO, I see no way out of the situation except #3. Just fishing, but just how much (in round numbers) is a "good deal" these days? Good luck!

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
Go holly efi and be done with it.

Tommyd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Grounds manager
Sure! Make me an offer.

What I am actually hoping is that someone had a similar experience and can tell me what they did. There are hundreds of the kits floating around from the shop that did this conversion. I am purposely not naming them because I dont want to appear like I am trashing them...

95% going with #3 but wondering if I am missing something
It probably should be on tons to begin with
Sponsored