Sponsored

What weight gear oil???

Gladiator Brad 704

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Auto trans. What weight gear oil should I use? How much will I need to change the front and rear? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Factory is 75w90, if you tow or severe use 75w140 is the Dana (axle manufacturer) recommendation. You'll need about 3.5 quarts so buy 4.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I live in hot weather and have Dana Spicer 5:13 gears. I run the mopar 75w140 and it is cheaper at the dealer than the 75w85 anyway. Perfect so far and I have 52K miles.

Last edited:

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
The oil weight information you are looking for is in the Owner's Manual. It is 75W85 synthetic for the front axle & M220 rear axle. If you search around a little on the forum, you will also find the listed capacities for the M210 and M220 differentials on the Rubicon. IIRC, it's 1.53Q rear and 1.09Q front. Regardless of the quantity, per the Owner's Manual, make sure to fill to approximately 1/8" below the bottom edge of the fill hole with the vehicle on a level surface. Always fill to the proper level regardless of capacity listed.

There is typically no issue using a 75W90 synthetic gear oil in place of the listed 75W85. After all, the 75W85 is listed as a "recommend" and not "require". The 75W90 will maintain a higher viscosity at high temperatures, which (IMO) is only a good thing. However, changing from the recommended 75W85 is a decision for you to make.

This is from the on-line version of your 2020 Gladiator Owner's Manual:

Jeep Gladiator What weight gear oil??? 1674009393339

Jeep Gladiator What weight gear oil??? 1674009518600

Sponsored

RedRaptorJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR Launch Edition
Just did mine a month ago. 75W90 Amsoil Synthetic. 15,000km on a 2020. No towing. Fluid was dark.

kilroy173

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Tj, Gladiator Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Just hit 20k and am about to change my gear oil. Are you able to reuse the gasket or will I need sealant?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Regardless of the quantity, per the Owner's Manual, make sure to fill to approximately 1/8" below the bottom edge of the fill hole with the vehicle on a level surface. Always fill to the proper level regardless of capacity listed.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This, no matter what.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
How can they want you to be exactly 1/8th below the hole, like it actually matters, and then say “approximately”?? Can’t the guys drilling the fill hole move it down 1/8 inch?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
How can they want you to be exactly 1/8th below the hole, like it actually matters, and then say “approximately”?? Can’t the guys drilling the fill hole move it down 1/8 inch?
'AI' I guess - those machines think for themselves.
Hey, let's mess with this guy and move the hole!

Sponsored

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Just hit 20k and am about to change my gear oil. Are you able to reuse the gasket or will I need sealant?
I have read the gasket is reusable. I know I should be pulling the covers off but boy do I just adore having fill and drain plugs on this thing. Makes servicing the axles just that much cleaner.

kilroy173

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Tj, Gladiator Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I have read the gasket is reusable. I know I should be pulling the covers off but boy do I just adore having fill and drain plugs on this thing. Makes servicing the axles just that much cleaner.
I haven't even crawled under there yet didn't realize there was a drain plug. Ill probably to the same

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No offense, but you ain't gonna like this -

You aren't servicing it. You are only changing most of the fluid and really have no idea what condition things are inside.
Trying to keep yourself and the floor clean isn't doing the truck any favors.
Amazing how people scream about a drain plug and think that dropping fluid and putting new in is some right of passage, a big feat, and yet there's a reason the cover is so easy to take off, and reseal without a lot of effort.
Real servicing is more preventative maintenance and inspection. Drain it, pull that cover, use your hand (yes, get dirty) or if resistant to that, make a scraper from the side of a milk jug and scrape out every bit of fluid you can. That's where the real dirt is, and that's where you truly learn about your differential.
Look for stuff in the bottom (because the drain plug won't really get all the fluid out, let alone things that may have settled there from bad bearings or gears)
Inspect the patterns on the ring gear. Look for galling on the side and spider gears. Look for chips, anything unusual, clean it out good, then button it back up.

BTW - I suspect Dana got the reusable cover gasket/seal from AMC when AMC sold Dana their differential designs years ago. It was so nice servicing the AMC 20s - no drain, pop the cover, clean it out well, leave nothing in the bottom of the housing, inspect things, put the cover back on, refill it.

No offense - but I gotta ask the general population -
changing diff fluid almost seems like a right of passage - some thing you do when 13 to become a man and yet no one bothers taking the cover off (well, very few) and yet are so concerned about changing fluid way early - because friends say it's the right thing to do and you are a better Jeep guy if you do.
So, why not pull the cover?
Why the fuss over a plug when you SHOULD be pulling that cover every time you change the fluid so you can visually inspect the gears, wear pattern, side gears and spiders and so on, and see what crud lays at the bottom of the housing - crud that will not drain out by pulling a plug.
My take (today anyway) is that Dana did us all a favor by taking that drain plug out - not you must truly service it and inspect things an you know exactly how your differential is wearing in and what condition things are in.
You can't tell squat by pulling a plug and dropping what fluid out that will come out. Only if you see glitter and pieces - but by then it's too late., Had you pulled the cover LAST time and looked inside, you may not be seeing glitter this time because you'd have seen and fixed the problem.
Preventative maintenance is visual inspection, not just dropping fluid and being thankful you did't get dirty.
No, DANA/Jeep, did us a big favor by taking that plug out regardless of the perceived reason or opinions of the reason. They forced true preventative maintenance and visual inspection.

I always pull covers off - and always have - since the early 1970s every differential I have ever done anything with - the cover comes off. And I've been thankful in I do that in a couple of cases. I found things that indicated damage I would have NEVER found had there been a drain plug (and most do not have drain plugs - it's really not a common thing to have a drain plug in a differential that has a removable cover)

If you care, which you claim by saying you changed the fluid and do it every 5,000 miles, then you will actually pull that cover. Get dirty. Buy a big galvanized water pan or a large oil pan to let 'er drop into as you pull that cover. Go get a cheap air ratchet to make it go really fast.

Roklimo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gecko Green Mojave
No offense, but you ain't gonna like this -

You aren't servicing it. You are only changing most of the fluid and really have no idea what condition things are inside.
Trying to keep yourself and the floor clean isn't doing the truck any favors.
Amazing how people scream about a drain plug and think that dropping fluid and putting new in is some right of passage, a big feat, and yet there's a reason the cover is so easy to take off, and reseal without a lot of effort.
Real servicing is more preventative maintenance and inspection. Drain it, pull that cover, use your hand (yes, get dirty) or if resistant to that, make a scraper from the side of a milk jug and scrape out every bit of fluid you can. That's where the real dirt is, and that's where you truly learn about your differential.
Look for stuff in the bottom (because the drain plug won't really get all the fluid out, let alone things that may have settled there from bad bearings or gears)
Inspect the patterns on the ring gear. Look for galling on the side and spider gears. Look for chips, anything unusual, clean it out good, then button it back up.

BTW - I suspect Dana got the reusable cover gasket/seal from AMC when AMC sold Dana their differential designs years ago. It was so nice servicing the AMC 20s - no drain, pop the cover, clean it out well, leave nothing in the bottom of the housing, inspect things, put the cover back on, refill it.

No offense - but I gotta ask the general population -
changing diff fluid almost seems like a right of passage - some thing you do when 13 to become a man and yet no one bothers taking the cover off (well, very few) and yet are so concerned about changing fluid way early - because friends say it's the right thing to do and you are a better Jeep guy if you do.
So, why not pull the cover?
Why the fuss over a plug when you SHOULD be pulling that cover every time you change the fluid so you can visually inspect the gears, wear pattern, side gears and spiders and so on, and see what crud lays at the bottom of the housing - crud that will not drain out by pulling a plug.
My take (today anyway) is that Dana did us all a favor by taking that drain plug out - not you must truly service it and inspect things an you know exactly how your differential is wearing in and what condition things are in.
You can't tell squat by pulling a plug and dropping what fluid out that will come out. Only if you see glitter and pieces - but by then it's too late., Had you pulled the cover LAST time and looked inside, you may not be seeing glitter this time because you'd have seen and fixed the problem.
Preventative maintenance is visual inspection, not just dropping fluid and being thankful you did't get dirty.
No, DANA/Jeep, did us a big favor by taking that plug out regardless of the perceived reason or opinions of the reason. They forced true preventative maintenance and visual inspection.

I always pull covers off - and always have - since the early 1970s every differential I have ever done anything with - the cover comes off. And I've been thankful in I do that in a couple of cases. I found things that indicated damage I would have NEVER found had there been a drain plug (and most do not have drain plugs - it's really not a common thing to have a drain plug in a differential that has a removable cover)

If you care, which you claim by saying you changed the fluid and do it every 5,000 miles, then you will actually pull that cover. Get dirty. Buy a big galvanized water pan or a large oil pan to let 'er drop into as you pull that cover. Go get a cheap air ratchet to make it go really fast.
I agree! Besides, I always enjoy quality, on my back, under my Jeep time. It is amazing what you can learn about the condition of things. I always encourage people to install their own mods, and do basic maintenance. Jeep people are usually anxious to help if you need it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I agree! Besides, I always enjoy quality, on my back, under my Jeep time. It is amazing what you can learn about the condition of things. I always encourage people to install their own mods, and do basic maintenance. Jeep people are usually anxious to help if you need it.
Nailed it, esp on the first part - I've found myself staring at something I'd have never otherwise found had I not decided to spend some quality time doing a different task on one of my vehicles.
I'd have never found a busted axle, or a toasted carrier bearing, or various loose parts, whatever, if I'd have tried to stay clean.

It's getting tougher the older I get, but now and then I plop onto a creeper and roll under my JT just to check things out, learn more about it, where things are, how they are routed. (actually, getting back up is the tougher part)
Sponsored