First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 50 Willys, 76 CJ
Build Thread
Link
I was wondering what size and brand winch folks are getting for the JT. I got a Warn Zeon 10K Others?
Warn – Zeon Platinum 12,000

E2D73F8D-794B-4244-8EA6-2E393D0099E2.jpeg

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Warn screwed me over royal so I'll never run their crap again.

This go around I'm giving the RR trekker a shot. Ip68 water resistant and a warranty that will actually get honored.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
What about the Borland - Apex - with synthetic rope? Any good?

Sponsored

Jericbarg

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2020 JTR, 2017 JKUR, 2019 Corvette GS, 2018 Sierra Denali
No Warn for me either. I have had great luck with Smittybilt winches. I now have a Rough Country on my Gladiator that has also been great, we used it for 2 hours last week winching several folks out. No issues. Synthetic is the way to go for safety sake.

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
No Warn for me either. I have had great luck with Smittybilt winches. I now have a Rough Country on my Gladiator that has also been great, we used it for 2 hours last week winching several folks out. No issues. Synthetic is the way to go for safety sake.
Rebranded engo which is also a great winch in the 300 dollar range. It worked alot better than the 1400 paper weight I replaced it with. Infact my buddy is still running that engo.
been in use for 6 years now no issues.

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME
Warn VR EVO 10-S. Black Friday sale $633. My last Warn was solid and while I might have preferred a Warn Zeon, my usage frequency didn't justify the cost.

TheNewWampsCat

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ram 1500
As far as size the way I’ve always figured what size is to double the weight of the vehicle the winch is going on... and Smittybilt has always been good for me! I’ve also heard good things about the Harbor Freight brand “badlands”. I’ve never used one of these though.
And as stated go with synthetic rope, stay away from the steel cable, for safety sake!

Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Smittybilt x2o 12k synthetic on a Warn plate.

The Warn plate is not significantly more expensive and is (IMO) better designed and built of better/heavier materials than its competition.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
As far as size the way I’ve always figured what size is to double the weight of the vehicle the winch is going on... and Smittybilt has always been good for me! I’ve also heard good things about the Harbor Freight brand “badlands”. I’ve never used one of these though.
And as stated go with synthetic rope, stay away from the steel cable, for safety sake!
So in my case an 9-10K pounds would work. I don't do climbing up the sides of a cliff - and likely wouldn't try to pull anything twice the weight of my JT anyway.
I've also heard good about the Harbor Freight brand and the Smittybilt brand. Those are the places I'd look for my type of use and need - it's more insurance than anything. All of these years I've never been in a spot where I'd even need a winch.

TheNewWampsCat

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ram 1500
I was a president of an off-road club and when wheeling a winch comes in to play more for mud. And when you or another rig is truly stuck in the mud there’s a suction that holds the rig in! I’ve seen it so bad that you would have to use a snatch block which cuts the weight/suction in half. The other thing a snatch block is used for is a change of direction to make a pull!
As far as mounting plates go there’s an industry standard for bolt holes other than that it’s a pick your favorite design!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I was a president of an off-road club and when wheeling a winch comes in to play more for mud. And when you or another rig is truly stuck in the mud there’s a suction that holds the rig in! I’ve seen it so bad that you would have to use a snatch block which cuts the weight/suction in half. The other thing a snatch block is used for is a change of direction to make a pull!
As far as mounting plates go there’s an industry standard for bolt holes other than that it’s a pick your favorite design!
Working for several years in a shop that did 24/7/365 wrecker service showed me what I learned in school about pulley systems - snatch blocks are your friend. It's one reason a "come-along" can be used to load a 3200 pound car onto a trailer when the rear wheels are locked up..... they are based on the snatch block thought. You aren't directly reeling in that cable. The other end has the pulley made into it.

Pat2Alaska

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Hydro-Blue Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Jedi
Smittybilt x2o 12k synthetic on a Warn plate.

The Warn plate is not significantly more expensive and is (IMO) better designed and built of better/heavier materials than its competition.
That's my setup on my JT. It has worked fantastically. I had the Warn Zeon with steel cable on my JK. For a lot less money, I like the SmittyBuilt!
Sponsored