First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Occupation
PM Construction
I live in Ohio, and we get winter storms. I grew up much more rural and we always kept a small winter kit, blankets, shovel, etc. I've never needed them, in a stranded situation but the stuff has been helpful in other situations: I carry blankets, shovel, ice scraper, flashlight, water, matches, tea light candles, granola bars, hot hands, hats, gloves, I already keep small tool kits and first aid kits.... but what do you keep? I try to keep it compact and in a tote or small canvas bag, to keep it all from taking over my storage or getting lost... I realize people in Florida / Alaska migh have different needs. I think Wisconsin dot has a good list (pic).

What do you keep for winter?

D22F3BF6-C919-4745-B5D3-A4B677A576D4.jpeg
Sponsored

Dew.J

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
I’m in Minnesota where we get some dangerously cold weather. However I live in the cities so the risk of getting stranded is low. I keep:

foil emergency blanket
Cotton blanket
Jacket
Beanie
Gloves
Recovery straps
Sand (also to weigh the back down)
Phone Charger

I have an ice scrapper to, but that’s more of an everyday item.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm normally the over prepared crew. Heck I've got at least 3 wool blankets on bed and I live in N. AL. ;) I was checking stuff in my JT and found I had 3 jars of peanut butter stashed.
You seem to have it well covered, a 4x6 / 5x8 plastic tarp really comes in handy having to dig out or lay on ground too.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
I'm in rural Northern New Hampshire. So I carry most of the usual stuff everyone else has posted. I also toss a set of tire chains in for winter, though I've never needed them. One thing I don't usually see mentioned in these threads....

I'm a licensed ham radio operator. I have a cheap chinese Baofeng UV-5R h/t that is programmed with all the local active ham frequencies and repeaters, as well as GMRS and any local EMS type stuff that hasn't gone digital. The original rechargeable battery is replaced with one holds AA batteries. I use lithium AAs with 10yr shelf life, and I vacuum seal them with my wife's food saver. I then place them, the radio, and it's antenna in another freezer bag with a silica pack and vacuum seal that. My wife, who is not a ham, has the same setup in her Jeep.

Technically, it's not legal to transmit with that radio on GMRS channels, and of course it isn't legal to talk on the local fire dept frequency (or for my wife to transmit on ANY frequency), but in an emergency, you do whatever it takes. Around here, you can be many miles from the closest reliable cellular signal, and still hit a mountain top ham repeater 30 miles away.

Sponsored

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
In South Georgia spf 50 for the daytime and don't forget bug spray. Seriously, I think what you have is more than adequate. I would leave out any perishables for obvious reasons. They should be in your day pack or travel bag. You can always add to your kit depending on expected weather or distance from civilization. It's good to be prepared.​

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
You can always add to your kit depending on expected weather or distance from civilization. It's good to be prepared.
Often these can be for those who aren't prepared.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I never keep water in a vehicle in the winter because of freezing. In each vehicle. I keep a blanket and a old rug. The rug is for if I have to get on the ground. I have a Camelbak HAWG that goes from vehicle to vehicle that I keep my stuff in.

Kirk*Mojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Jeep Mojave/toyota camry
Being that I live where it snows

1. Cold weather jacket and pants
2. Recovery gear (straps, shackles)
3. A few lighters
4. Tire chains
5. Backpack with a change of clothes
6. G-19

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
In South Georgia spf 50 for the daytime and don't forget bug spray. Seriously, I think what you have is more than adequate. I would leave out any perishables for obvious reasons. They should be in your day pack or travel bag. You can always add to your kit depending on expected weather or distance from civilization. It's good to be prepared.​
Damned if I don't still carry that too still after living in SE GA for over 10 years. :LOL: :LOL:

I've got 2 sets of tire chains that probably don't fit anything that I've got now 🙄
Not a high use item in GA, FL, and AL. but being in the past I traveled up and around IL, IN, KY and MO. good to have. Chains can be useful in some mud conditions too.

bd100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, WK2, ole' Ram
Once I saw a car accident occur a few cars in front of me. Someone crossed a busy road and didn't stop. Got T-boned directly at the passenger door. Teen in a coma, hit head on the side glass, which shattered. After a few minutes of everyone standing around it occurred to me that I had an old blanket in the car, and this was February, and it was pretty cold out, and the paramedics were still several minutes away. So I was able to provide the blanket for someone else. And I always carry one now.

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I’m in Texas. My winter kit is a flannel 12v electric blanket behind the rear seat, and an ice scraper under it.

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
FIRE EXTINGUISHER
Just like fire is the biggest threat in a boat surrounded by water. Think of all of the heating related fires every winter. I have used an extinguisher on 2 other peoples cars and once on a truck that I was rescuing.
bottles of water
Hand sanitizer gel- good for cuts and fire starter
Fox hole shovel
Flashlight
Whistle
Emergency contact info- put any allergies on the back
flares- if you can get them
Beef jerky
extra gloves
knit hat- old school big enough to pull over my face
blanket
extra coat- a size too big
socks
sunglasses- snow glare
matches and a lighter
can of de-icer in the bed of the truck incase the door freezes tight
WD-40 can work for this too but not as quickly
a couple of bread bags- put on over socks in shoes to keep feet dry
recovery strap or chain
jump box/cables
cash

and don't forget to file a flight plan if you are leaving the beaten path

If you don't have an old coat, blanket etc. hit the thrift shops. You never know when you will end up giving the stuff away to someone who needs it more than you.
Sponsored