First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Occupation
United States Marine
Forgive me if this topic has already been discussed, i wasn’t able to find any threads that gave insights/opinions regarding the issue i’m pondering.

i know prices are still a mystery, but i’m having some thoughts... And am unsure of which trim level i should be looking to.

i plan on upgrading the axles eventually, swapping in an Atlas Trans sooner than later, a ORO Swayloc dual rate front swaybar.

Regardless of trim, 35” tires are going to happen.

With that, which one would you go with?

The Rubicon or the Overland (thanks for the corrections)?

Either way the removed parts would be sold for some offset costs.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
Forgive me if this topic has already been discussed, i wasn’t able to find any threads that gave insights/opinions regarding the issue i’m pondering.

i know prices are still a mystery, but i’m having some thoughts... And am unsure of which trim level i should be looking to.

i plan on upgrading the axles eventually, swapping in an Atlas Trans sooner than later, a ORO Swayloc dual rate front swaybar.

The Rubicon or the Sahara?

Do you need lockers right out of the dealership? Yes= Rubicon. Why do you need to add the atlas and dana 60's? That's a big jump from the Rav4 you have now. Plenty of youtube videos of JLUR's running stock except for 37's on the trail.

In your proposed case, the difference between the overland and rubicon is the interior red stitching on the seats and dash, plus the red dash panels. Plus the $3500++ price difference.

PS. I'm going with a stock Rubicon on 35's.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GlennM6809

GlennM6809

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Occupation
United States Marine
Do you need lockers right out of the dealership? Yes= Rubicon. Why do you need to add the atlas and dana 60's? That's a big jump from the Rav4 you have now. Plenty of youtube videos of JLUR's running stock except for 37's on the trail.

In your proposed case, the difference between the overland and rubicon is the interior red stitching on the seats and dash, plus the red dash panels. Plus the $3500++ price difference.
I’ve owned jeeps before. My last one was a 98’ Sport I had done a ton of work to.. including 16” front coil overs, radius long arms, 14” rear coil overs, dual triangulated long arms stretched to 102”, completely flat skid.. etc..

So I definitely will be wheeling and inturn modifying and tinkering with it.

Maybe the atlas/lockout hubs aren’t necessary because of the FAD... I don’t have experience with that.

Lockers will be installed regardless, whether it’s the factory Rubi (for a long while) or Overland (thanks for the correction) with aftermarket installed is one of the things I don’t know which way to go.

I like how the locker switches and sway bar disconnect is integrated in the dash/controlls and looks amazing.

I’d be getting the tan seats because I’m not a fan of the red dash. I’d want the white paint.

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve owned jeeps before. My last one was a 98’ Sport I had done a ton of work to.. including 16” front coil overs, radius long arms, 14” rear coil overs, dual triangulated long arms stretched to 102”, completely flat skid.. etc..

So I definitely will be wheeling and inturn modifying and tinkering with it.

Maybe the atlas/lockout hubs aren’t necessary because of the FAD... I don’t have experience with that.

Lockers will be installed regardless, whether it’s the factory Rubi (for a long while) or Overland (thanks for the correction) with aftermarket installed is one of the things I don’t know which way to go.

I like how the locker switches and sway bar disconnect is integrated in the dash/controlls and looks amazing.

I’d be getting the tan seats because I’m not a fan of the red dash. I’d want the white paint.
Ok, add the jeeps to your bio.. it looked like a big jump from rav4 to super modified JT. lol. The FAD replaces the function of the locking hubs and helps with street driving.

You could do a Sport S max tow (to get the wide track 44's and the 7inch with alpine stereo but cloth interior) and then add your own lockers and eventually the atlas. That would probably equal the rubicon price when done.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Call me the "Lone-Wolf" apparently !? Do you really mean Sahara ? Being this is Gladiator Country I hope your meaning Rubicon & Overland !? So, Allow me to explain my "Sahara" vote - being as how the Sport S is not an option !
Simple because I don't need the Rubicon's capability, its added weight, its less fuel efficiency, its added complexity which tends to up the ante for things to break ! Not to mention the added COST ! The intrigue of having the "Auto-Mode" I find "interesting" - it sure works WELL in my 2016 G.C. ! 1st thing I'd do, however, is get rid of (sell to someone wanting) the wheels & tires - put on Off Road worthy gear . Hmmm, now that I think about your Question ? . . . Does the Gladiator Overland come with the "Auto Mode" ??? Gonna have to go to Jeep.com and find out after logging off !

Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Call me the "Lone-Wolf" apparently !? Do you really mean Sahara ? Being this is Gladiator Country I hope your meaning Rubicon & Overland !? So, Allow me to explain my "Sahara" vote - being as how the Sport S is not an option !
Simple because I don't need the Rubicon's capability, its added weight, its less fuel efficiency, its added complexity which tends to up the ante for things to break ! Not to mention the added COST ! The intrigue of having the "Auto-Mode" I find "interesting" - it sure works WELL in my 2016 G.C. ! 1st thing I'd do, however, is get rid of (sell to someone wanting) the wheels & tires - put on Off Road worthy gear . Hmmm, now that I think about your Question ? . . . Does the Gladiator Overland come with the "Auto Mode" ??? Gonna have to go to Jeep.com and find out after logging off !
No auto 4wd or any full time 4wd on any gladiator, not even the overland. I am a bit disappointed to, but it makes the rubicon decision that much easier for me personally. If the overland had a full time 4wd tcase that would cause me to really have to think about my decision more.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
No auto 4wd or any full time 4wd on any gladiator, not even the overland. I am a bit disappointed to, but it makes the rubicon decision that much easier for me personally. If the overland had a full time 4wd tcase that would cause me to really have to think about my decision more.
:clap::like:
My thoughts too.

OP
OP
GlennM6809

GlennM6809

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Occupation
United States Marine
What I plan on doing with the truck:
Daily driving, weekend-week wheeling trips
Heavy rock crawling
Hauling small camping trailer/or the like

I want which ever version I get to have lockers.
I’m good with the part time 4WD.
If the FAD works as it says then I wouldn’t have to swap axles right away.

Can you get the wider track on the rubicon or only the overland?

I’ll have to check the site, still new to the gladiator terms.

Centexan

First Name
Coleburn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ram 2500
I voted Rubicon for the extra towing capacity. I wish they would make an Overland with the Max Tow package. That way, those of us that don't necessarily need lockers can get the luxury features (leather, upgraded infotainment, etc), can get those and not sacrifice capacity.

Epb1981

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2011 corolla
Occupation
Fire Lieutenant

Does the Sahara gladiator come in a two door version? And how many sheets of plywood does the Sahara JT carry? Please tell us all about the Sahara gladiator. We are dying to know. This is the first real news since jeep held the official release at the la auto show. We also want to know what pricing it will be?

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Does the Sahara gladiator come in a two door version? And how many sheets of plywood does the Sahara JT carry? Please tell us all about the Sahara gladiator. We are dying to know. This is the first real news since jeep held the official release at the la auto show. We also want to know what pricing it will be?
And plywood color choices too.

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
What I plan on doing with the truck:
Daily driving, weekend-week wheeling trips
Heavy rock crawling
Hauling small camping trailer/or the like

I want which ever version I get to have lockers.
I’m good with the part time 4WD.
If the FAD works as it says then I wouldn’t have to swap axles right away.

Can you get the wider track on the rubicon or only the overland?

I’ll have to check the site, still new to the gladiator terms.
The Sport S max tow and Rubicon have the same wide track dana 44's and 4.10 gears. The only difference would be the rubicon has lockers. The overland does not have the wide track axles.

wooderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
The Sport S max tow and Rubicon have the same wide track dana 44's and 4.10 gears. The only difference would be the rubicon has lockers. The overland does not have the wide track axles.
How much wider is the wide track axles?
Is stability the biggest advantage with wide track axles?
Thanks

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase

I still do some investigating for county counsel, and yesterday I went up to the high desert to contact a witness who lives at the end of 20 miles of dirt trails and pathways. Took my partner along and he was AMAZED at the performance and comfort of my JTR. Yup, he's out looking this weekend. Go Rubicon and feel the comfort and performance....... that's built in at the factory
Sponsored