Sponsored

Whats Changed On The Gen 3 EcoDiesel

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I know a lot of you guys wanted to know what has changed on the Gen 3 Eco Diesel and Jalopnik has some good coverage on the full range of whats been changed, so I copied and pasted it below also the full link if you want to hit up the source. So far this is the best write up I have seen of the changes.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-ram-1500-ecodiesel-is-a-torquier-version-of-an-1837366263

tgz9vuui43kiiasc2uiz.png

Compared to the last-generation 3.0-liter 60-degree V6 diesel, Ram says 80 percent of the latest millā€™s parts are new, with the motorā€™s chief engineer Mauro Puglia highlighting a few major changes for 2020. The most important one involves exhaust gas recirculation, or EGR, which is a system that reduces NOx emissions by sending mostly-inert exhaust gas into the combustion chamber, reducing combustion temperatures.

For the new Ram, the third-generation EcoDiesel engine gets a low-pressure exhaust gas recirculation system. So, in addition to taking exhaust manifold gases and feeding them through a cooler and into the intake, as in the high pressure system, the new Ram pulls exhaust from after the diesel particulate filter and sends it through a cooler to the intake. The point, Ram says, is that instead of having to rob exhaust gases used to spool the turbocharger, the engine can snag exhaust post-turbo turbineā€”a setup that Ram says yields ā€œimproved fuel economy and lower oxides of nitrogen (NOx).ā€
roa5w50ihpuzlwzp4a7q.png

Hereā€™s a look at the low-pressure EGR cooler that reduces the temperature of exhaust gases prior to sending them to the intake:
kumvrxovycwxmsso61gd.png

Other changes to the diesel engine include a new generation variable geometry turbocharger with allegedly lower friction bearings, promising better efficiency and response; redesigned intake ports for better airflow; a lower 16.0:1 compression ratio from 16:5, which Ram says helps reduce NOx; redesigned fuel injector nozzles; and updated bowls on the aluminum pistons, which have thinner rings and specially coated side skirts and wrist pins for reduced friction.
bjnq6fgsxmwvlfm2xgnh.png

On the noise, vibration, and harshness front, Ram mentions that offsetting the wrist pin from the connecting rod centerline by a bit made a difference in reducing piston-slap, and the brand also says a two-piece sandwich material of polymer and metal for the oil sump apparently also helps with NVH.
fulgwol8dv2s3d8ongrt.png

Other changes include a larger selective catalytic reduction system, less friction in the brake vacuum pump, and a change from a charge air cooler (or intercooler) that used to be mounted in front of the radiator to a ā€œlow slung CAC,ā€ as the chief engineer Rod Romain put it. This means the air meant to cool the water in the radiator doesnā€™t have to pick up heat from the intercooler first, thus theoretically improving engine cooling performance.
ilbze9yggzaag2lltlql.png

The Ferrara, Italy-built engineā€”which, like the outgoing model, contains a forged crank and rods, as well as a bed-plate to help handle stressesā€”now has a block that is reportedly 15 pounds lighter, though most importantly, the engine is more powerful and makes more torque across the rev range, per the output plot above.
Sponsored

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Since the low slung intercooler is probably a no go on the Gladiator, I'm wondering if a Top mount intercooler and Sandstorm style hood would get enough airflow to be functional while clearing the front of the radiator.

IV.f

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Wrangler
Since the low slung intercooler is probably a no go on the Gladiator, I'm wondering if a Top mount intercooler and Sandstorm style hood would get enough airflow to be functional while clearing the front of the radiator.
The guys/gals over at Jalopnik did a write up on the possibility and old/early designs of a low charged air cooler in the bumper - check it out.

Last edited:

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
..........what about the cam gears

don't think we will ever get this answered.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I bet $1 it is the same poor friction design = the same design that has been used on literally Millions of VW diesel engines since the Rabbit back in the day. They don't see an issue with it so they don't talk about it. #TriggerWXMan

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation

The cam gears are press fit just like the Gen 2 engines.

To me, it's crazy they didn't address that after all those full engine replacements they've done (and are still doing) on those Ram 1500s.

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
The cam gears are press fit just like the Gen 2 engines.

To me, it's crazy they didn't address that after all those full engine replacements they've done (and are still doing) on those Ram 1500s.
On another thread on this site someone mentioned that an engineer said that the cam gear issue was due to a harmonic thingymagig due to an RPM tiddlywink vibrational imbalance cofactor. They have fixed that so the press fit is OK now.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Here's the thing. I kinda want A diesel for my usage, but I don't want THIS diesel. It was already a hard sell for me due to the financials of it. My perception is that this engine doesn't have the track record to justify the $$.

I'd be in for the 5.7 though!!

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd be in for the 5.7 though!!
And you can have Exactly that ... for a wheelbarrow full of cash (more than the diesel upgrade), no warranty, and good luck if you ever need it worked on.
OR just buy a Ram

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
On another thread on this site someone mentioned that an engineer said that the cam gear issue was due to a harmonic thingymagig due to an RPM tiddlywink vibrational imbalance cofactor. They have fixed that so the press fit is OK now.
Ok....if I end up buying it I will get the super duper extended warranty so they can keep replacing engines if necessary.

I don't get it though...what would be so hard about putting a pin in? just a little more cost.... suck it up for the $4995 a-holes

Sponsored

OP
OP
Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Ya I saw that post as well. Was trying to find it.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HEY @WXman! I found something for you!

Next up came a question about a cam issue with the 2nd gen EcoDiesel.

ā€œI had read various internet reports of the previous ED that after about 100K miles, the unpinned timing gear (cam gear maybe?) was slipping and causing valve to piston engine damage,ā€ the viewer asks. ā€œWas that issue fixed with the new engine? Also, whatā€™s the 0-60 mph time in the 4X4 and quad-cab?ā€

I sent that question to Ram and got another fast response. (Wish all sources were this quick.)

ā€œThis new Gen 3 EcoDiesel engine shares very few components when compared to Gen 2 and does feature an updated timing gear set-up.
At least Somebody asked about the cam gear situation - maybe you will be able to sleep a little better now & not worry so much about an engine you won't be enjoying? :angel:
From Here:
https://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/ram-answers-2020-ecodiesel-questions/

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
HEY @WXman! I found something for you!

At least Somebody asked about the cam gear situation - maybe you will be able to sleep a little better now & not worry so much about an engine you won't be enjoying? :angel:
From Here:
https://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/ram-answers-2020-ecodiesel-questions/
That completely contradicts what an engineer told the host of Pickup Truck and SUV Talk. So now, we've got questions all over again at best.

As somebody on social media put it, "So they're saying 80% of the engine is new. That means 20% is still junk and 80% is totally unproven. I guess that makes it all better!"

Again, I'm a diesel lover. I just wouldn't touch the 3.0L EcoDiesel with a 10 foot pole. They should have gone to plan B.

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
I touch mine with my pole as often as I can. The wife keeps telling me my diesel door is open. Whoops šŸ˜¬
Sponsored