Sponsored

What's the deal with Jeep Wave and the Gladiator?

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition, 2018 Acura NSX, 2016 Range Rover Sport SVR, 2018 Land Rover Discovery, 2017 Kawasaki Z900
Just got an email from Jeep that I should bring in my truck for the 5k mile services. I seem to recall reading the oil changes were going to be free through the Jeep Wave program. Is that the case with the Gladiator too? Anything else I should have them do while I have it in other than tire rotation? I don't seem to have any recalls ...
Sponsored

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Just got an email from Jeep that I should bring in my truck for the 5k mile services. I seem to recall reading the oil changes were going to be free through the Jeep Wave program. Is that the case with the Gladiator too? Anything else I should have them do while I have it in other than tire rotation? I don't seem to have any recalls ...
nope that should be all

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Just their normal inspection they should do with ALL oil changes to all vehicles - check for leaks, loose stuff, things that they might spot visually while under there. That should be part of the oil change.
We used to vacuum interiors, wash windows inside and out, inspect belts and hoses, check for leaks, check tire pressures, fill all fluids as needed (brake, PS, windshield washer) and more when we did oil changes. Ah, times have changed..........
Like Texops said - there's no maintenance needed at this point.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I had mine done today. They did the inspection, changed the oil and filter, and rotated the tires. He said no maintenance is needed, other than oil changes, until 30k miles. Now, I just need to go check it tomorrow while it is light out. The receipt says they put in 6 quarts of oil.

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
I had mine done today. They did the inspection, changed the oil and filter, and rotated the tires. He said no maintenance is needed, other than oil changes, until 30k miles. Now, I just need to go check it tomorrow while it is light out. The receipt says they put in 6 quarts of oil.
Check it, only takes 5 quarts with filter.

Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 8.57.57 PM.png

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I hope not........

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
I hope they actually only put in 5 quarts and just the receipt says they put in 6 quarts. On the early JL first oil changes at some dealers 6 quarts was put in instead of 5 quarts because they were used to the JK that did require 6 quarts.

Hows that for a free Jeep Wave oil change?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I hope they actually only put in 5 quarts and just the receipt says they put in 6 quarts. On the early JL first oil changes at some dealers 6 quarts was put in instead of 5 quarts because they were used to the JK that did require 6 quarts.

Hows that for a free Jeep Wave oil change?
Well that makes sense.

I did have a car where I ran 6 quarts because after an extended high-speed run then a sudden slowdown or stop the oil would all be up topside and the pan low and you'd see the light come on until the oil got back down to the pan. Solution - add an extra quart. Don't recommend that on these, though!
Windage, foam, trouble.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
What maintenance does it need at 30k? Is it real, or that dealer recommended crap that when researched isn't necessary?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What maintenance does it need at 30k? Is it real, or that dealer recommended crap that when researched isn't necessary?
Check the FACTORY recommendations on page 436 of your owner manual. As a professional tech, I recommend doing so, especially a couple of the things listed. Preventative maintenance and CHECKING things over by a pro will help you save money and even property in the future.

On the other hand, I was always really happy to collect my pay for fixing things that went ignored longer than they should have been.

Like always, 30,000 miles may need nothing more than a filter or two, but depending, could need something else.
There's also 20,000 mile checks listed. All of those are dependent on the model and equipment of that specific JT.

"research" out there..... some comes from folks that decided they know better.
Some is fine, some is just an ordinary joe who once did a tune-up and the thing ran and is now putting up web pages saying you don't need any dealer to do anything.
Some is fine, some is even professional - just be careful.
I made my living on fixing things ignored for too long - and for keeping others from ever having a break-down to begin with.
Go by the manual - FCA - your warranty may depend on some of it. Go by the book over dealer. But don't be afraid to trust a GOOD tech either.

Anyway - owners' manual, page - roughly page 438 or so depending on the revision of your manual.

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Check the FACTORY recommendations on page 436 of your owner manual. As a professional tech, I recommend doing so, especially a couple of the things listed. Preventative maintenance and CHECKING things over by a pro will help you save money and even property in the future.

On the other hand, I was always really happy to collect my pay for fixing things that went ignored longer than they should have been.

Like always, 30,000 miles may need nothing more than a filter or two, but depending, could need something else.
There's also 20,000 mile checks listed. All of those are dependent on the model and equipment of that specific JT.

"research" out there..... some comes from folks that decided they know better.
Some is fine, some is just an ordinary joe who once did a tune-up and the thing ran and is now putting up web pages saying you don't need any dealer to do anything.
Some is fine, some is even professional - just be careful.
I made my living on fixing things ignored for too long - and for keeping others from ever having a break-down to begin with.
Go by the manual - FCA - your warranty may depend on some of it. Go by the book over dealer. But don't be afraid to trust a GOOD tech either.

Anyway - owners' manual, page - roughly page 438 or so depending on the revision of your manual.

I know the inspections, and filters are important. Always do those myself just do to how much they charge for 5 minutes of labor for air filters. Good to know it is all in the manual, I have yet to find an honest jeep dealer close to me after dealing with the sales in two of them and not getting a proper repair quote for my dad on the first try for his wheel sensor issue from the third.

There are other things like toyota keeps trying to push a 30k top engine cleaning on my Sienna, and so far all my research has shown that is not needed. This has really made me hesitant when it comes to doing what the dealer says. Also the standard fluid flushes they always try to push as well. Before that it was Honda and they were among some of the most dishonest with the costs on their maintenance system.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I know the inspections, and filters are important. Always do those myself just do to how much they charge for 5 minutes of labor for air filters. Good to know it is all in the manual, I have yet to find an honest jeep dealer close to me after dealing with the sales in two of them and not getting a proper repair quote for my dad on the first try for his wheel sensor issue from the third.

There are other things like toyota keeps trying to push a 30k top engine cleaning on my Sienna, and so far all my research has shown that is not needed. This has really made me hesitant when it comes to doing what the dealer says. Also the standard fluid flushes they always try to push as well. Before that it was Honda and they were among some of the most dishonest with the costs on their maintenance system.
I hear ya - and you are kidding - top engine cleaning? Wow. These days?
Most of what's in the manual for 20 or 30K miles I suspect you can handle.
Too bad there are still shops that push things that aren't TRULY needed. I guess I simply nod - turn around and leave, that's why I don't think about it like others.
If you didn't get "the manual" you can either order it for free, or download a pdf version. Some say they never got one. I did, a fat one, and had the download, too. My printed manual that came with my JT was revision 2 while the PDF I downloaded was at rev3.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
I hear ya - and you are kidding - top engine cleaning? Wow. These days?
Most of what's in the manual for 20 or 30K miles I suspect you can handle.
Too bad there are still shops that push things that aren't TRULY needed. I guess I simply nod - turn around and leave, that's why I don't think about it like others.
If you didn't get "the manual" you can either order it for free, or download a pdf version. Some say they never got one. I did, a fat one, and had the download, too. My printed manual that came with my JT was revision 2 while the PDF I downloaded was at rev3.
Yep. I am "way over due" for the one on my prius since I am supposed to be getting my second one for being around 60k. This is why I have no trust in what a maintenance plan is. Only redeeming factor is the Toyota dealership by me actually made their rates competitive to the point where I can't even do an oil change myself for the price they do, and my battery was the same price autozone would have charged.

My JT came with a small manual, but I have the PDF version and actually prefer that one anyways. Will be sure to keep up with that one to remember what I actually need. I tend to keep my cars so I for sure want to make sure they are running right.

OP
OP
trez63

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition, 2018 Acura NSX, 2016 Range Rover Sport SVR, 2018 Land Rover Discovery, 2017 Kawasaki Z900
So is the first service supposed to be free with Jeep Wave?
Sponsored