When does a demo become used?

K enny

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I got an email today out of the blue from a dealer I had talked to before so I went to their web site to look at the Gladiators. I sent a message on one that they had listed and in their response, while not actually answering the questions that I had asked, they mentioned that they had another similarly equipped Gladiator for sale (not to be found anywhere on the site) that had been a manager demo. I asked some follow up questions on this Gladiator and have not heard back yet.
So my question is when does a demo become used. Would you consider it used just because an employee had been allowed to use it. Is there a mileage limit that pushes it over the new/used line? Surely they would not have titled it just to let an employee use it but where would you draw the line and consider it to not be a new vehicle anymore. What kind of % off would you expect to see on a demo model?
Sponsored

Cleankat

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I'm not sure if it's still like this, but I worked for BMW corporate years ago and a dealer could sell a demo or one of our company cars as "new" up to 25,000 miles on it as long as it hadn't been titled.

Mofo67

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
In my area demo vehicles are sold as new and the warranty starts the day you buy the vehicle. Most of them have between 5K and 10k miles. As far as the discount I would want it to be a couple thousand below what I could buy a new one for. I bought mine in late July for a little over 10% off sticker, $44,4xx and I paid $40k. So in my case I would want to be in the $38-$39k area for a demo depending on the miles.
Also there are now some discounts and incentives that are available that were not back in July so you might get an even better deal.
Good Luck

B345T

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Edge Titanium, 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye, 2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback
Occupation
IT
Any vehicle still on the MSO Manufacturers Statement of Origin is considered new....

formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
They drive the hell out of those things, too. I would run away.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
They drive the hell out of those things, too. I would run away.
Not always. I've owned 'em before - and I've known some who had the demo vehicles. It's a generality to say they all drive the hell out of them.
I've known some that were driven just like any other family vehicle and were fine.
On the other hand I have a friend who is a Mercedes tech - part of his perks is he gets a killer deal on leasing a Mercedes.
We have get-togethers each fall for our AMC cars - a show, swap meet - and races. Friday was always test and tune night. (the real races Saturday were restricted to AMC powered vehicles) - one year he took his leased Mercedes down the track a few times.
For kicks, he hid his time slips in various places in the car - under seats, carpet, etc.
On the other hand - he didn't hurt the car one bit. I would not have been afraid to end up with that car - not a bit. It was raced, not abused.

spenchey

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
spencer heywood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
every gladiator you could want
Any vehicle still on the MSO Manufacturers Statement of Origin is considered new....
For what its worth, i've bought vehicles from multiple mfg's that are still on MSO and they come with strict instructions that the vehicle(s) are for our used vehicle selling efforts and the warranty clock has already began to count down

B345T

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Edge Titanium, 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye, 2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback
Occupation
IT
For what its worth, i've bought vehicles from multiple mfg's that are still on MSO and they come with strict instructions that the vehicle(s) are for our used vehicle selling efforts and the warranty clock has already began to count down
The selling dealer should have titled the car prior to sale...

We purchase Ford and FCA "company" vehicles that are on MSO with the clock ticking and we have to title them to sell to another person...

spenchey

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
spencer heywood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The selling dealer should have titled the car prior to sale...

We purchase Ford and FCA "company" vehicles that are on MSO with the clock ticking and we have to title them to sell to another person...

I was buying from the mgf themselves for resale purposes

B345T

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
I was buying from the mgf themselves for resale purposes
Sd you have to title them as the dealer in order to sell to the public..

so they are off of MSO when the consumer receives the vehicle... Used not a demo

Sponsored

spenchey

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
spencer heywood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sd you have to title them as the dealer in order to sell to the public..

so they are off of MSO when the consumer receives the vehicle... Used not a demo

My point being you can still have a used vehicle on MSO.

You’re not far from me, you must be running IT for a store?

B345T

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
My point being you can still have a used vehicle on MSO.

You’re not far from me, you must be running IT for a store?
A dealer can - but a Customer cannot buy from the Manufacturers sales...

Yes I am the IT guy for the local Chrysler/FOrd Dealership

OP
OP
K enny

K enny

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I finally heard back and they said that it has 2500 miles and it sounds like they want to sell it as new, have to send them another email. What do you think would you consider a 2500 mile vehicle new?

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I finally heard back and they said that it has 2500 miles and it sounds like they want to sell it as new, have to send them another email. What do you think would you consider a 2500 mile vehicle new?
no

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
It's 'new', in that it has never been titled. In usage, it's used IMO. Would not be worth the same money to me as a unit with say, 75 miles.
Sponsored