When to replace tires and Brake Pads?

Salmanilla

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
I have a 2020 Rubicon MT6. 20 months of Digging this truck without any real troubles. Mileage is about to hit 56k miles. When should I be expecting to replace the WildPeak AT3w tires? Is there a tread gauge? Is there some kind of wear-bar that I am not seeing? Brakes feel fine, but what is their lifespan like?

Is it expected that MPG reduces as the tires wear?

TIA
Sponsored

jay21mojave

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Gladiator 2013 JKU Sport '09 Patriot
Occupation
Sales Acct Mgr - OEM Wholesale DLR Group
Yes there is a tire gauge, Every tire store has them, you can purchase at any auto parts store.. it measures in 32's of an inch or mm.. in Pa the state min for passing inspection is 2/32s.. tread wear bars are on passenger tires LT tires .. As for the brakes, you should pull the wheels and visually inspect the pad thickness.. again 2/32s thickness is the min. .. replace before wear gets to the metal backing plate and requires rotor replacement. IMO at 56K the rear pads might be close if they wear like those on a JKU..
here is a picture of tread wear bars:
Jeep Gladiator When to replace tires and Brake Pads? 1627837450932

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
The disc brake pads have wear indicators, too. They’re like a little metal feeler that will start to squeal against the disc when the pads get close to their wear limit.
Brake wear really depends on where you drive and your driving habits. I normally get over 100k miles out of a set of pads, but I don’t regularly commute, drive mostly on highways, and use the brakes sparingly.

Kevin

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
No one knows your driving habits or where you've had the JT.

Take it to a REPUTABLE mechanic, or Discount Tires or such. Have them check your tires and brakes.

I've had to change OEM brakes before 20,000 miles, and I've had OEM brakes still on vehicle at trade in, 5 years and 70,000+ miles later.

AT's are generally 45,000-60,000 mile tires.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
First vehicle? When to replace tires and brakes on the JT is no different than any other vehicle.

If driving a pavement princess, you could go down to the legal minimum of 3/32" tread depth and that should be about where your wear indicators should be showing.

As to brakes, the pads should be inspected for wear and pad remaining material at each tire rotation. Mileage and use is going to vary when they are replace. If waiting for the squealers to tell you, then you are already behind the 8 ball for maintenance.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Salmanilla

Salmanilla

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
Just cant seem to find wear indicators on the Wildpeak AT3's.

Even though they look like they are wearing evenly, I am hearing more road noise than normal... And my MPG has dropped by about 2 mpg over the past few weeks. Just checking to see if I am missing something.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.

Even though they look like they are wearing evenly, I am hearing more road noise than normal... And my MPG has dropped by about 2 mpg over the past few weeks. Just checking to see if I am missing something.
Check your air pressures.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Per Falken, the AT3W is a 50,000-55,000 mile tire. So your tires are due or near due.

Rdaharsh1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator (Overland)

After tire air pressure check. Check your air filter if you haven't changed it could affect mpg.

OP
OP
Salmanilla

Salmanilla

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
tires are around 38psi… new air filter and fresh oil change. Tires are pushing 56k miles… not sure if that could be the issue???

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
At 56k miles, I think you've gotten your money's worth out of that set. Time to shope for new tires.
Sponsored