Sponsored

Where should we BE ABLE to mount side mirrors ?

Where should side mirrors be mounted ?

• On A-pillar, but not attached to fold-down windshield

• On fender panel, above aero vent

• On body panel in front of windshield, behind hood (whatever this is called)

• on door panel

• Directly to frame

• All of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Mounting our stock side mirrors on several areas would be very versatile, but is any one area more practical and useful than the others ?

Manually adjusted mirrors (sans wiring), could be moved when/where desired.

I would prefer power/heated mirrors, on the fixed base of the A-pillar, outside of the lower half of the fold-down windshield hinge.

Power mirror option being located on A-pillar, would allow for the option of cheaper, hyper-lightweight, non-power doors with manual windows. Which would appeal to weight-reducing, fuel economy conscious entry level buyers, but would likely also please every demographic within the exponentially growing doorless crowd.

Doors hitting these mirrors could easily be mitigated with male "rhomboid cylinder" hinges, which impede door travel at the appropriate degree angle.
Sponsored

Last edited:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
One problem is the A-pillar and door frame are more likely to get in the way if you move it to the A pillar without either sweeping them back or moving them out.
Also the more you move the mirrors forward the more you limit the view immediately behind the vehicle, and the further outwards you need to move the mirrors to regain that view. And the further forward you push them you get and offset of increased FOV but will less detail/magnification of the object in that field. So those two tradeoffs might affect some state laws, but might simply reduce efficacy versus current positioning.

Door travel is also a big issue, and if you swept them back to maintain view then they are further in the way for normal use. Limiting the travel of the door, limits access to a vehicle that is often higher than most, and with the grab handles being where they are on the a-pillar you have competing use models.

To me, as mentioned in the other thread, make the mounting bracket modular so that it can be easily taken from the usual spot to the door hinge mounting point, and then make the wire loom/harness a simpler disconnect that either mounts higher up to accomodate retaining power features when moved, or has an easy and cheap harness extender for when the doors are off (could even make that part of the door hinge mounting bracket).

As to the super lightweight concept likely wouldn't include power mirrors if they aren't coming with power locks or windows.
However, as for it saving costs for entry level, I doubt that would help that much, most of the savings come for a single design that's interchangeable across platforms so you don't need different stamping setups and parts bins for something fairly universal like that.

Also, considering the low cost of cameras another option is providing small cameras in the A paillar that feed images to the centre console or Instrument cluster, but that likely wouldn't meet legal requirements, unless there were dedicated monitors for those views. A nice 5-7" screen at the inside corner of the A-pillars would sufficient, but definitely far more costly and complicated than just some mirrors and brackets, so likely this would end up a Sahara and Rubicon option more than the low cost Sport option, which is likely a better way to do non-standard than go for the low end. However in general the video rear view / side mirror solution is somewhat counter to the 'Wrangler ethos' per say.

Personally the vent mirrors along with two long rectangular 'blind spot' mirrors lengthwise down the A-pillar works well enough for me.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pic of a current hinge relocation bracket.

IMG_0470.JPG

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Probably don't need two separate threads on this, so will post in other thread instead.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AVENTUS

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
I figured their would be less thread volume here, and that maybe there would be more interest here for people working in hot climates who often need to get in and out of truck quickly dozens of times per hour, with doors off, but who need good view for backing up with long bed/etc

So this might be a very functional sensible option for the working JT crowd, was my train of thought.

OP
OP
AVENTUS

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
IMG_9193.JPG

Perhaps these do not give enough of a view for those needing to backup hundreds of times per day to deliver payload onto raised platform or something of the sort ?

Hoss63

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU, 2016 Grand Cherokee, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Gladiator Where should we BE ABLE to mount side mirrors ? IMG_9193.JPG

Perhaps these do not give enough of a view for those needing to backup hundreds of times per day to deliver payload onto raised platform or something of the sort ?
That's were I have mine, same place I had them on my JKU.

Sponsored

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
The JKU mirror and hinge bracket is a nice solution for going doorless.
cheers

JeepRealtor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thekashatteam.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (Bright White), 2019 Ford Expedition Limited Stealth Package (Magnetic)
Occupation
Realtor