Where to put the dog?

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
I'm toying with a few options of where and how to situate the 66lb chocolate lab in the bed of the gladiator. I can't just throw her in the open bed like we used to do in Idaho. An RLD canopy (https://www.rlddesignusa.com/p/jeep/2020-jeep-gladiator-truck-cap-canopy/) would be nice, but its too expensive. A decked with a kennel on top and a leitner around it (https://www.google.com/search?q=lei...AUIESgB&biw=1607&bih=947#imgrc=8GKK9WPNbLt04M:) with maybe a tarp somehow attached to the leitner base could work; although I am not sure there will be enough space. Maybe a soft top over the bed (https://www.google.com/search?q=sof...AUIEigC&biw=1607&bih=947#imgrc=l_8hp6knPI4i8M:) or decked system with a kennel could also work, but then you couldn't load kayaks or a canoe on top.

I should mention i called leitner to ask to if they have a cover for their active cargo system and they said they get that question all the time and no one does it and I should call a custom marine cover company and that it will be quite expensive.

What are you planning on doing?
Sponsored

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Jeep Gladiator Overland, ‘17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ‘73 Porsche 914-6 GT,
Well same as I’ve always done, my 60lb
Norwegian Elkhound rides in the cab backseat with a Duluth Trading company
seat cover. Prolly not the answer your looking for. Sounds like long distance situation your inquiry about. I take it you’ll have peeps in the cab.
My dad was a K9 officer, i grew up with the dogs always in the cab.
Good luck with what you need.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I spoke w/ someone at A.R.E. a few weeks ago, they said they would be making a classic alum topper as soon as they could get a JT so they could create the design. Says they start at $1K
https://www.4are.com/product/cal/

tbaker

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 silver Jeep gladiator rubicon
I have an 85lb German shorthair pointer and I just tie his leash to the back bumper and he runs behind the Jeep gladiator nope I just open any door and say load and you better not be in his way he’s getting in the Jeep I put a sheet over the back seat and he rides I am probably going to take the storage box off the floorboard and she how he does

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Well same as I’ve always done, my 60lb
Norwegian Elkhound rides in the cab backseat with a Duluth Trading company
seat cover. Prolly not the answer your looking for. Sounds like long distance situation your inquiry about. I take it you’ll have peeps in the cab.
My dad was a K9 officer, i grew up with the dogs always in the cab.
Good luck with what you need.
If I didn't have 2 teenagers in the back seat then the dogs would gladly takeover that seat... its where they ride in my Wrangler when they need to go to the park or vet or wherever. When going long distance they sleep in the wayback which generally only has a cooler and pillows anyway. I am hoping to find a way to make my truck bed be just a bigger, more usable wayback in really long Wrangler.

Sponsored

capercrew02

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep WJ, BMW i3, Red JTR.
i've had a softopper on my current midsize truck now for over 7 years, have absolutely loved its flexibility! ill be transferring it over to my JT when my order comes in.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
i've had a softopper on my current midsize truck now for over 7 years, have absolutely loved its flexibility! ill be transferring it over to my JT when my order comes in.
And you drove around with dogs back there? Did you keep them in a kennel or just free-range in the bed? (No judgment, just curious... I wasn't planning to use kennels with my dogs.)

capercrew02

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep WJ, BMW i3, Red JTR.
unfortunately my wife is very allergic to dogs, but i've taken family members and their dogs in the back both in and out of kennels. its very easy to roll up the side, or rear window when traveling to give enough airflow for the furry friends, and softopper also makes a mesh panel that you can install so they can have breathability while parked. my personal plan with the gladiator is to run it without the front window of the softopper down/installed, and see if a canvas shop can sew a connector that goes from the softtop on the jeep to the softopper so its a sealed pass through. this would not only allow better airflow, but i'm also designing a pass through bed option so the tailgate and back can be closed, but feet will hang over into the cab, allowing the small 5' truck bed to become an 8' sleeping bed once at camp.

And you drove around with dogs back there? Did you keep them in a kennel or just free-range in the bed? (No judgment, just curious... I wasn't planning to use kennels with my dogs.)

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
unfortunately my wife is very allergic to dogs, but i've taken family members and their dogs in the back both in and out of kennels. its very easy to roll up the side, or rear window when traveling to give enough airflow for the furry friends, and softopper also makes a mesh panel that you can install so they can have breathability while parked. my personal plan with the gladiator is to run it without the front window of the softopper down/installed, and see if a canvas shop can sew a connector that goes from the softtop on the jeep to the softopper so its a sealed pass through. this would not only allow better airflow, but i'm also designing a pass through bed option so the tailgate and back can be closed, but feet will hang over into the cab, allowing the small 5' truck bed to become an 8' sleeping bed once at camp.
That sounds pretty awesome. I don't like softtops through the winter in Colorado but was wanting to work out some similar "turn the hard top into an SUV top with style" akin to that. I hope you post your results here, it might motivate me to get dual tops for summertime fun. (c:
Sponsored