Sponsored

Which Drive does your Jeep spend the most time in?

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I read that the gears should be something like 0-30 1st gear, 30-60 2nd gear, and to 100 for the 3rd (See MotorTrend comparison with Ford Ranger)

This is different than the speeds, right? The D1, D2, ... D8.

I notice that the Jeep spends the VAST majority of the time in D8, like from 30mph to 80mph. Is that the experience you ladies and gents have? Is it normal? Do other Drives give better mpgs?
Sponsored

tbaker

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 silver Jeep gladiator rubicon
I am running 35 inch tires on the factory wheels and my gladiator likes 7th gear most of the time it shifts from 8th to 7th gear on any small incline I have the gladiator rubicon with the 4:10 gears

88mmm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland, 911 TT
I read that the gears should be something like 0-30 1st gear, 30-60 2nd gear, and to 100 for the 3rd (See MotorTrend comparison with Ford Ranger)

This is different than the speeds, right? The D1, D2, ... D8.

I notice that the Jeep spends the VAST majority of the time in D8, like from 30mph to 80mph. Is that the experience you ladies and gents have? Is it normal? Do other Drives give better mpgs?
That article was about a manual gladiator with 6 ridiculously spaced gears and has nothing to do with the automatic.

DubaiMarauder

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Truck Driver
Vehicle Showcase
Mine spends most of the time in my employers drive so i can afford the payments. :) I'll leave now...

Miller3

First Name
Miller
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Dodge Charger
2WD and Park because when I work 8 hours a day and sleep 8 hours a day, the jeeps not driven and thus in park, and the remaining 8 hours can't make up that difference. :)

After that 2wd and D8 as most roads around me are flat and between 50 and 70 mph speed limits.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I hit 8th now and then, it doesn't stay there very long - only on the VERY VERY VERY flat roads up in the NW part of the state and then it's in 8th for like 10 seconds sometimes. Otherwise it spends most of he time moving between 7th and 8th on the highway, 5th when driving our rural roads around home.
It constantly hunts, it's a pooch on the highway. It can't make up its mind. And if you have any load like my EMPTY trailer, you are lucky to see 8th at all - it's a wasted gear, may as well lock it out. You can't run an engine down to 1600 rpm under any sort of load - it's a joke.
I'd manually shift more but the stupid manual mode is reversed for performance driving. You upshift by shoving the lever FORWARD, not pulling it back - what dope came up with that? Forward for downshifting, backward for upshifting? Look at any vehicle with an automatic and floor shift - you start in low with the shifter BACK and then you move it FORWARD - to UPshift. Forward is up, backward is down - but not Jeep.
So when I'm done driving my Javelin, set up for race - the truck is totally weird as if I push it forwartd in manual mode I downshift! Ouch.
Anyway, I'll have to literally time the instances of being in 7th or 8th again. At 55-60 it's not as bad, but at 65-70 that transmission is a joke.
I'll be driving it again later today, about 30 minutes on roads ranging from hilly to fairly flat for Iowa, and speeds from 45 to 65 speed limits.
I did time the shifts on our trip to Spirit Lake, which take you through some of Iowa's most flat land and it stayed in a given gear (7th or 8th) for a max of 10 seconds, typical was 5 seconds between shifts.
Either there's a problem with the brains of this transmission or FCA assumed everyone lives in eastern Kansas or Nebraska.
I can't wait to actually tow a loaded trailer and watch the transmission burn itself out shifting.

CMFINC

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GLADIATOR 1976 CJ5 2010 Raptor 89 F-150 4X
Occupation
DISABLED CARPENTER
Vehicle Showcase
37 IN TIRES 6 speed manual.. 60 mph 5th and 4th..

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
37 IN TIRES 6 speed manual.. 60 mph 5th and 4th..
I have not looked at the specs - I could, but easier to ask - on the manul, are 5th and 6th both the overdrive gears with 4th being direct 1:1 ?

You have a 76 CJ5 ?? COOL!!!

CMFINC

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GLADIATOR 1976 CJ5 2010 Raptor 89 F-150 4X
Occupation
DISABLED CARPENTER
Vehicle Showcase
5th gear at 60 is a dog. if you gas it its like WHAT.. lol. down to 4th it will pick up ok.. you can really even hit 3ed but hifh rpm pull. 4th ok. only reason i bought the 6 speed manual is when i test drove the gladiator was the auto..and it was a dog. so oped for the manual just for the little extra unff. 5th gear at 60 rpm is like 1950..65 just over 2000..with 37s.. been thinking about may be doing a re-gear. or should i just wait.. save the $$$$ and add a V8.. may be its just me. everything we own is v8 and has power.yes 76 cj5 navada jeep no rust. 304.. true twin sticks. 3 speed. had to do fender mod and add tilt wheel to get my fat ass in the thing..LOL 3 in lift with 1.5 Boomerang Lift Shackles, all rebuilt motor trans transfer case front and rear ends axel upgrade in rear. like new .Levi jeep.took out the Levi seats. its stock color. i want to change it.. picture is when it was stock. no lift nada.. dont have any pics with the mods. still work in progress
also have one of these.. see pics. 2010 gen 1. last pic wifes 89 f-150

s-l16001.jpg

P1070447.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
At least with the AMC cars in the 70s and 80s, they were basically GM type tilt columns. Not a bad modification. I have tilt to put in my 73 Javelin - it's a pain squeezing between the wheel and the seats (wich I have to take great care with - they are extremely rare, impossible to duplicate these days)
I love those early Jeeps. And you can get a lot of performance parts for 'em. That being a 304, a 360 or 401 would drop right in, or, I know a guy who built a 304 cranking out over 400 hp - that's 30 hp more than my built 360.
You have some fun vehicles - trucks, Jeeps, etc.
I loved one of the episodes of the old Ice Road Truckers show where one of the drivers was stuck, spun out, and a Ford Raptor pulled them out! Another time the shop guy used a Ford pickup to pull a dead semi tractor to the shop - on ice and snow.
Sponsored