First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Retired
I’ve started looking at fridges and can‘t decide which way to go. I want one that will fit in the bed, I’m waiting for my diamondback cover to see how much height I have. It’s suppose to be here Tuesday. I plan on installing a 12 volt plug in the back.

I go back and forth on spending the money and getting a Dometic or ARB, or other expensive one, or going with a aplicool or cheaper one.

I want it for trips, and camping. The wife will use it in the back of her bmw for trips from the grocery store.

What are you getting from the more expensive ones? Whats different on the cheaper ones? This will be my first so I have no idea on what to look for.
Sponsored

NHyde

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
IT Manager
I have an alpicool, it does the job, I have zero complaints.

Are ARB & Dometic better? Yeah maybe but for a weekend warrior like myself, the Alpicool does the job.

jhale1800

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, 2000 Ford Crown Victoria, 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2017 Mazda3
I just installed an ARB 63qt Classic Series 2 with a DFG Fridge Slide. It fits with my roll up tonneau cover, but that front lip at the top of the lid just skims under a 2x4 laying across the bed rails, so it's not completely below the sides of the bed. If your Diamondback cover sits a little higher than the sides of the bed you're probably fine. You could probably remove the rubber feet under the fridge and mount the slide differently to shave off enough height to have it completely below the bed sides.

Jeep Gladiator Which Fridge? ARB63qtClassicSeries2

heftysmurf

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
So I picked up my old design Dometic 35q a few years ago, right about the time the new design/colors came out with the thermal cover and got a great deal during Black Friday or something...I ran it in my JK non-stop for a couple of years and never had an issue. Just recently, my buddy's home fridge went out and he borrowed it just to keep the frozen stuff good. Never a problem.

Who knows what is better than the other but since you're in SW FL, I'm on the east coast and I've yet to have an issue. 35q is perfect for me and the wife to take for a weekend camping trip that keeps our food and drinks ice cold. Any other time, I have cold water or frosty beverages at the ready.

Mine fits under my trifold tonneau but not with my slide...So until I find a solution to A. secure my fridge and B. have it slide out, it's not permanently mounted in the bed for right now. And I picked up the little 4 gang panel on Amazon with a switch, voltmeter, usb, and 12v plug and just ran 10ga to the battery and it's working great.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Check out the Blizzard fridge at Costco, goes on sale every so often for $200 off. Couple people use them here, it has some nice features like low power draw, lid that opens from either end or comes off, I think measurements are
16”x16”x32”. It is the way I’m going when I need one…..Jack

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is a off brand from Amazon to tall for bed tonneau cover, but it's been running for a year straight with out a hiccup. The latter model don't have the glass lid on top a plus in my opinion.
Would I buy it again H### Yes!!! I should have got one years before and thinking about getting a second one now too. Maybe slightly smaller. No more buying ice or sloppy stuff in coolers I'd buy 2 before one Yetti cooler except for throwing in game or fish.

16248978338888592648050559877299.jpg

16248978634563571082291668488334.jpg

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
My "slide out" is made by me from part of the shipping crate my topper came in. :like:

just_another_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I went with the cheap fridge route (mine is staykol brand I believe) and it works great. I would consider buying a more expensive one if/when this one ever dies because there is no going back to using ice after you try a fridge.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
I'm looking at a SnoMaster. They make a low profile one I think 18.5 inches tall. Dual zone fridge/freezer. Comes with a insulated cover I believe.

Sponsored

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
I’ve started looking at fridges and can‘t decide which way to go. I want one that will fit in the bed, I’m waiting for my diamondback cover to see how much height I have. It’s suppose to be here Tuesday. I plan on installing a 12 volt plug in the back.

I go back and forth on spending the money and getting a Dometic or ARB, or other expensive one, or going with a aplicool or cheaper one.

I want it for trips, and camping. The wife will use it in the back of her bmw for trips from the grocery store.

What are you getting from the more expensive ones? Whats different on the cheaper ones? This will be my first so I have no idea on what to look for.
From my own research, you want one that utilizes the Danfoss compressor (Danfoss got bought, it now has a different name). These compressors, iirc, withstand more abuse that comes from off-road travel.

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
I'm looking at a SnoMaster. They make a low profile one I think 18.5 inches tall. Dual zone fridge/freezer. Comes with a insulated cover I believe.
You won’t go wrong with SnoMaster.

I have the ARB Elements 63... not cheap, but I'd buy another tomorrow....and 17" high--fits perfectly inside vertical dimension of Gladiator bed....definitely worth a look by you.

Longleaf

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2018 Desert Sled
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I went with an Iceco. They were on sale for Amazon Prime day. I still don't have it in hand but it fit in the middle of the pack price wise. It has a 5yr warranty on parts and I liked that this design is basically a rotomolded cooler (yeti/ rtic) with a compressor. So, if your power source runs out you can always just fill it with ice like the old days and still get some use out of it.
https://icecofreezer.com/collections/iceco-jp-series/products/44-3qt-3in1-icooler-iceco-white

Forum Crawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Working for the man every night and day
I like the Dometic CFX3
Sponsored