Sponsored

Which programmer/tuner/coder?

-MJK-

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
Just took delivery of a 2023 Mojave, I am getting the AEV 2" kit and noticed you can order it with or without the procal.

I plan to add other items--front camera, switches, etc. Would it make more sense to get a Tazer to enable other features vs the Procal which seems to just adjust for tire/gear ratios? Or is there a better product out there?

I searched around but couldn't find a comparison thread on different units--if one exists, please point me in its direction.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Look into JSCAN, it can do all of the programming you need and you’ll be set for about $90.

The Tazer does let you do things that are not programmable, like permanently disabling ESS, turning off the license plate lights in reverse and I am sure a few others too.

No wrong or clear cut winner, just two good options. I would say the Tazer is like an iOS device that is good out of the box and the JSCAN route is like an android in that you get to pick your hardware (and it’s cheaper).

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, depends on current and future needs.
I do diagnostics, logging, printing or exporting of settings and so on.
So software does all I need.
If I want license plate lights off in reverse - I've got a relay setup I'm putting together for a few bucks.
Others "need" other features so go with Tazer.

Depends also on if you want to simply change settings like tire sizes and such and move on, or want something installed all the time.

There's no solid list because things keep changing, and there are long lists of options for each.

You must decide what YOUR personal goals are, what your budget is, how you'd use "it" and so on.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
He said he's adding the front camera. AlfaOBD is his only option and even then...I'm hearing it isn't working with 2022s?

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
permanently disabling stability control/traction control/abs etc…

This… this is the biggest driver… I really wish the JL/JT was as easy as the JK in that a momentary switch in line with ONE wire was all that was needed… $15 bucks and you were done! All the donuts, snow wheeling, burnouts whatever you wanted…one push.

Tazer it is. 🍺

Last edited:

Sponsored

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
My summary;

Jscan : can enable some factory options your truck didn't come with. Front trailcam isn't one of them.

Tazer : can enable some factory options your truck didn't come with and also do things the truck's BCM doesn't support by intercepting CAN messages

AlfaOBD: can enable or disable any and all factory options in the BCM and other modules.

If your goal is adding factory options AlfaOBD cannot be beat.

Disclaimer once again...who knows what works with 2023s...

Disclaimer 2: AlfaOBD has the highest learning curve.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
ive got a flashcal I dont use any more that id be willing to sell for $75 🤷‍♂️ Not sure of what options are available on it any more since I haven't plugged it into the JT in over a year. But im pretty sure sure you can update it for free and get the latest capabilities

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
He said he's adding the front camera. AlfaOBD is his only option and even then...I'm hearing it isn't working with 2022s?
JSCAN can change pretty much anything.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My summary;

Jscan : can enable some factory options your truck didn't come with. Front trailcam isn't one of them.

Tazer : can enable some factory options your truck didn't come with and also do things the truck's BCM doesn't support by intercepting CAN messages

AlfaOBD: can enable or disable any and all factory options in the BCM and other modules.

If your goal is adding factory options AlfaOBD cannot be beat.

Disclaimer once again...who knows what works with 2023s...

Disclaimer 2: AlfaOBD has the highest learning curve.
Why can't you use JSCAN? IF it's an option in the settings, it should do it. It can do pretty much anything AlfaOBD can do. (and some things AlfaOBD can't do)
If you find something it's missing, just contact the guy - he's really responsive.

Sponsored

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Why can't you use JSCAN? IF it's an option in the settings, it should do it. It can do pretty much anything AlfaOBD can do. (and some things AlfaOBD can't do)
If you find something it's missing, just contact the guy - he's really responsive.
These are the settings. I've seen those who add the front trailcam give up on Jscan and use AlfaOBD. If you know of a success of a person adding it and using Jscan....lemme know ...it would be a big deal for people. I added the trailcam but started with AlfaOBD.

Screenshot_20221230-201352_Brave.jpg

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
@ShadowsPapa dealers can't even enable the front trailcam. Even with engineering adding an exception blah blah. No sales code gets it added.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...-trail-camera-to-gladiator-diy-writeup.35026/

QUOTE:

"

Finally, you need to enable the system in the BCM to get it working. You’re going to have to use AlfaOBD to do this, as the sales code for the integrated trail cam system won’t be available for your VIN. Yes, I realize @bryanklay was able to get it added to his, but he got extremely lucky that they allowed it, and don’t expect this to be the case for everyone. In order to attempt to get a sales code added to your VIN build that is unavailable, you have to convince the dealer service advisor to contact the area FCA rep. HE has to convince the area rep to call FCA and in turn convince engineering to make the sales code available to add for your VIN, and they could easily say “NO, end of discussion”. EVEN AFTER they allowed it for Bryan, when they added the sales code and restored his vehicle configuration, it still didn’t work. It didn’t enable all the necessary BCM settings. So, rather than roll the dice with the dealer, and potentially wasting hourly rate money, just use AlfaOBD to get it done right the first time"

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@ShadowsPapa dealers can't even enable the front trailcam. Even with engineering adding an exception blah blah. No sales code gets it added.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...-trail-camera-to-gladiator-diy-writeup.35026/

QUOTE:

"

Finally, you need to enable the system in the BCM to get it working. You’re going to have to use AlfaOBD to do this, as the sales code for the integrated trail cam system won’t be available for your VIN. Yes, I realize @bryanklay was able to get it added to his, but he got extremely lucky that they allowed it, and don’t expect this to be the case for everyone. In order to attempt to get a sales code added to your VIN build that is unavailable, you have to convince the dealer service advisor to contact the area FCA rep. HE has to convince the area rep to call FCA and in turn convince engineering to make the sales code available to add for your VIN, and they could easily say “NO, end of discussion”. EVEN AFTER they allowed it for Bryan, when they added the sales code and restored his vehicle configuration, it still didn’t work. It didn’t enable all the necessary BCM settings. So, rather than roll the dice with the dealer, and potentially wasting hourly rate money, just use AlfaOBD to get it done right the first time"
Any option that was available when you bought the truck has a sales code that can be added. But no software does that. Only dealers can add that sales code. Since mine had that option, and I said no, it means there's a code for it.
If someone had a problem, it was the dealer fussing.
They gladly added the sales code for passive entry to my 2020.
No big deal if you have a willing dealer AND if it was an option for your vehicle at the time yours was built.
Not sure where some of that info comes from - but I've heard that some dealers wouldn't even add the sales code for passive entry. Likely because they don't want to mess with it, or they don't know how or whatever. Just because a dealer says no we can't do that doesn't make it so.
They even listed my passive entry as "dealer installed" to keep it clean - and charged me $0

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Any option that was available when you bought the truck has a sales code that can be added. But no software does that. Only dealers can add that sales code. Since mine had that option, and I said no, it means there's a code for it.
If someone had a problem, it was the dealer fussing.
They gladly added the sales code for passive entry to my 2020.
No big deal if you have a willing dealer AND if it was an option for your vehicle at the time yours was built.
Not sure where some of that info comes from - but I've heard that some dealers wouldn't even add the sales code for passive entry. Likely because they don't want to mess with it, or they don't know how or whatever. Just because a dealer says no we can't do that doesn't make it so.
They even listed my passive entry as "dealer installed" to keep it clean - and charged me $0
My man all I can say is there is not a single person known who has had the Front Trailcam 'sales code' added and it worked. AlfaOBD has been the only way for those of us who have done the work.

@Jimmy07 and @bryanklay pioneered this particular mod. If you can find a single person who has made it work with a dealer sales code or JSCAN....post up.

My opinion....yes opinion...is easy mods like LEDs... prox locks.....aux switches....those are allowed. The Front Trailcam isn't even able to be added by a dealer with OEM parts unless the entire body harness is replaced. Those of us who have added it used a custom CAN harness made by Jimmy....and he has detailed how to make your own in his thread. You have to toss your rear cam...install a front trailcam trim rear cam.....it isn't a dealer installable job. It took me 12 hours to install and about $1100 in parts. I wanted it. Imagine the dealer labor for a $595 option. You have to rip the entire truck's interior apart and run 30 feet of coax cable.

Please link ONE case of a dealer adding an OEM Front Trailcam system. There aren't any.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
All I'm saying is that AlfaOBD isn't magic in that if there is not already a line saying yes/no and so on, it can't add it. If the line IS present (and it has to be) then if JSCAN isn't doing it, it's only because he's not set the app to read that line and interact with it.
You can't add lines that are not there, you can only modify the variable for that line, yes, no, present or not present and so on.

When a sales code is added, the dealer has to then download the new configuration and flash it to your vehicle. And if that doesn't work then it means if your BCM is ever flashed for any reason, it will be removed because the flash for your VIN won't have that setting present.
If you add equipment that isn't added to the VIN - if on the really off change that module gets flashed by the dealer, it will be removed and you'll have to change that setting back again.
It's not so likely with something like the BCM - it's more likely for PCM or ABS and so on, but........
Sponsored