Sponsored

Which Tire for Long Term Review?

Which tire would you like to see tested long term?

• Firestone Destination X/T - 60 lbs.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Firestone Destination M/T2 - 67 lbs.

• Hankook Dynapro MT - 72 lbs.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
  • Banned
I'm going to purchase a tire off the following list to do a long-term review on. They'll see towing, hauling, interstate travel, snow, rain, ice, mud, etc. Will be a 35x12.50 or equivalent. I prefer lighter weight, but I'm willing to test the tire that most people want to see. So, vote below please.

It's gotta' be on this list because these are the ones I haven't reviewed in the past (except for the last two choices).
Sponsored

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
  • Banned
It's a tight race :rock:

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
  • Banned
Is the purchase happening before black friday? lol
It's going to take advantage of the Black Friday sales, which is why I made the poll to end later this coming week. :)

The Cooper MTP is tied for 1st. Interesting. Good looking tire, decent price. One thing I'll mention is that almost all the reviews I've found on that tire say that it's pretty noisy on the road. In fact, most Cooper mud tires are noisy.

Southbayglad

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020
It's going to take advantage of the Black Friday sales, which is why I made the poll to end later this coming week. :)

The Cooper MTP is tied for 1st. Interesting. Good looking tire, decent price. One thing I'll mention is that almost all the reviews I've found on that tire say that it's pretty noisy on the road. In fact, most Cooper mud tires are noisy.
I definitely wouldn't want to go with noisy. You can change my vote to the Geo landers if it comes down to a tie, to avoid the noise. Lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
  • Banned
Interesting that the Duratrac is tied for second. That tire has been out for at least 10 years. I love these polls. The results are always interesting. Keep 'em coming.

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
  • Banned
Thanks for all the votes. After careful consideration, I decided that a full on mud terrain probably isn't the best for my usage with this truck, so I decided to stay with a hybrid tire. And since the Yokohama Geolandar X-AT got a couple of votes and is brand spanking new and could potentially be the source of some great YouTube content, I pulled the trigger on those. Discount Tire Direct had 15% off for Black Friday and the tires are already in my garage. 48 hour shipping! Wow! Those guys never cease to amaze me.

Now I just have to decide which sidewall pattern to go with, since this tire offers two.

20191201_143016[1].jpg

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
Thanks for all the votes. After careful consideration, I decided that a full on mud terrain probably isn't the best for my usage with this truck, so I decided to stay with a hybrid tire. And since the Yokohama Geolandar X-AT got a couple of votes and is brand spanking new and could potentially be the source of some great YouTube content, I pulled the trigger on those. Discount Tire Direct had 15% off for Black Friday and the tires are already in my garage. 48 hour shipping! Wow! Those guys never cease to amaze me.

Now I just have to decide which sidewall pattern to go with, since this tire offers two.

20191201_143016[1].jpg
Id go for the one on the right. Looks a little more similar to the wild peaks that come on the rubi to begin with, and I love the way the stock wheels look, just wish they were bigger.

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well one thing is for sure, they're not going to fit under the Christmas tree.

20191202_195229.jpg

Sponsored

Papa_smurf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR - GATOR
Anything to report up to this point? Even if it's only road noise or ride quality on the E range.

I'm really looking at these because I found they offer them in 285/75R18 E.

Although the Falken AT3/W that the Rubi's come with are made in 285/75R18 E also. I'm running the Falken 285/65R18 E on my Chevy 2500 and they are fantastic, so i may go with them on the Rubicon also. Would really be nice to have some 285's at 35" diameter for a 17 wheel....then i could keep my Rubi wheels as they are actually growing on me.

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Anything to report up to this point? Even if it's only road noise or ride quality on the E range.

I'm really looking at these because I found they offer them in 285/75R18 E.

Although the Falken AT3/W that the Rubi's come with are made in 285/75R18 E also. I'm running the Falken 285/65R18 E on my Chevy 2500 and they are fantastic, so i may go with them on the Rubicon also. Would really be nice to have some 285's at 35" diameter for a 17 wheel....then i could keep my Rubi wheels as they are actually growing on me.
I ended up replacing the Yokohama tires with Coopers due to vibration and excessive run-out on the road force balance machine, but, the jury is still out on whether or not my issue was with the tires or the Chinese wheels I bought from Quadratec. So I can't say definitively that the tires were faulty.

The Coopers still exhibit some vibration at highway speeds, but not as bad as the Yokohamas did. Hmm.....

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
I ended up replacing the Yokohama tires with Coopers due to vibration and excessive run-out on the road force balance machine, but, the jury is still out on whether or not my issue was with the tires or the Chinese wheels I bought from Quadratec. So I can't say definitively that the tires were faulty.

The Coopers still exhibit some vibration at highway speeds, but not as bad as the Yokohamas did. Hmm.....
Chinese wheels, huh?
The Fuel Vector wheels I just sent back had a made in China label on the box. Go figure! What wheels aren't made in China?
Sorry about the Yokohamas. I'm considering them myself.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Chinese doesn't necessarily mean shoddy quality these days. There are multiple ways things get made over there - a Chinese owned company with Chinese labor paid pennies, a U.S. owned factory in China that handles their own hiring and specs............ among other ways.
In fact if you can afford a JT it's possible you could afford to buy a factory over there.
A few years back we had a fellow remodel our kitchen and we got our first ever dish washer. We got home late that evening and I went downstairs for something and noticed the ceiling in the room down there - directly below the kitchen - seemed discolored. It was a dropped ceiling, tile and grid system. So I lifted a tile to check and got wet.
The valve the guy put in to plumb the dishwasher was leaking. (copper plumbing in our house)
I removed the valve, took it apart and good grief - the casting was rather course and porous, and the machining for the seat was like a high-school student did it. Not smooth and nice.
So I went out looking for a new valve. I hit the usual places - all "made in China" on them. The valve that was bad proudly said Made in USA on it and I wanted to replace it with same. I hit 4 places and finally decided most of them were the same as the prior store, just labeled and branded differently.
I hit the 5th store only to find "Made in China" on all of their valves, too. So I gave in, needed to get back and get this put together it was getting late.
I got home, opened the valve so I could safely solder it in place - and what I found inside was amazing. The casting was very fine, smooth, an excellent piece. Very well done. The machining of the seat - smooth as glass, even, smooth, no rough spots, it was PERFECT. It was twice the quality of the original.
It's been in place for about 14 years now.
I've run into other items I could say the same about.......... made in China could be by a US owned factory using U.S. specs and quality control but still half the price. And I've seen crap made in the U.S.
Sponsored