Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone else have a whistling noise as they accelerate? I know the engine is a little whiny when its cold but I get a whistle when i do any more than touch the gas pedal..it increases in volume as the truck approaches a gear shift.

I suspect its the airraid intake i have on there, but wanted to know if anyone else has the same issue.

Also, its not the seals on the hard top, I have a whistle there but only after 60mph
Sponsored

Bowerss2

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator, 1980 Chevrolet Corvette, 1930 Ford Roadster Pickup, 1930 Ford Station Wagon, 1930 Ford Phaeton, and an awesome 2004 Ford E-250 (the dangerwagon)
Is it rpm dependent? Put it in neutral and rev it up, have someone do it when you listen. If you have an aftermarket intake it could easily be that.

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Is it rpm dependent? Put it in neutral and rev it up, have someone do it when you listen. If you have an aftermarket intake it could easily be that.
Ill try that, thanks

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
I have a whistle noise on mine that is heard with light acceleration and is much louder at 55-65mph. Been at the dealer for almost 3 weeks and they have determined my rear locker was somehow broken or installed incorrectly. Replacing the entire rear diff.

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I have a whistle noise on mine that is heard with light acceleration and is much louder at 55-65mph. Been at the dealer for almost 3 weeks and they have determined my rear locker was somehow broken or installed incorrectly. Replacing the entire rear diff.

Wow....rough.

It seems that my sounds is RPM dependent. But its also present with light acceleration and louder at 55mph+ as well.

I had the time to take apart my intake today, re seat all the seals, and tighten the crud out of all the connections. Seemed better on my way in to work tonight. Only a little whistle when the engine was cold at low acceleration, nothing when i punched it at 55mph on the highway. Hopefully its just my intake.

Sponsored

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
Wow....rough.

It seems that my sounds is RPM dependent. But its also present with light acceleration and louder at 55mph+ as well.

I had the time to take apart my intake today, re seat all the seals, and tighten the crud out of all the connections. Seemed better on my way in to work tonight. Only a little whistle when the engine was cold at low acceleration, nothing when i punched it at 55mph on the highway. Hopefully its just my intake.
sounds very similar to my issue. No noise when I punch it only when light acceleration at highway speeds. No idea if replacing the rear will resolve this issue but will know this week. The part took 10 days to arrive.

No IFS

First Name
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Banned
I paid a lot of $ trying for the whistle sound. I added the whole afe intake kit and throttle body spacer. Still not much of a whistle.

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
I paid a lot of $ trying for the whistle sound. I added the whole afe intake kit and throttle body spacer. Still not much of a whistle.
I can assure you that you don’t want the sound mine makes. You can’t drive long distance at highway speeds without getting a headache. It’s loud.

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
yea I also did the full intake and throttle body spacer. The whistle has returned and is just as annoying as before. Im going to re install the oem airbox for now and see if that resolves it. If not, then at least the dealer cant give me crap for warranty a fix.

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.quadratec.com/p/afe-power/momentum-gt-pro-5r-cold-air-intake-system-jeep-wrangler-jl

description says "CAD Designed, dyno tuned, roto-molded intake tube is designed specifically for the Wrangler JL to maximize power gains and ensuring a perfect fit. Built-in chambers minimize air intake noise."

This made me wonder if that was what all the little chambers attached to the OEM intake were for...does anyone know?

here is a link to the OEM intake pipe with the extra chambers...

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/air-cleaner-hose-jl-jt-3.6l-engine-68257027AD

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Heres the response I got from airaid.

apparently those chambers are for resonance

“”Quote””
Hello,
The noise you are describing sounds normal. This is probably the sound of air passing by the throttle body blade. Your vehicle’s original intake components may have been designed to muffle these noises, by using resonator chambers, convoluted tubing, and a closed air box. Your engine operates much more efficiently with your new performance air intake system, with its open filter and high flow tube, and the noises which occur naturally within your engine are free to pass out into the open air, and can be more audible. If your intake system is installed as specified in the Airaid installation instructions, then the sound is normal and cannot be changed.

Regards,

AIRAID Customer Service & Tech Support
[email protected]
http://www.airaid.com
Phone: 800-498-6951

Bowerss2

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator, 1980 Chevrolet Corvette, 1930 Ford Roadster Pickup, 1930 Ford Station Wagon, 1930 Ford Phaeton, and an awesome 2004 Ford E-250 (the dangerwagon)
Heres the response I got from airaid.

apparently those chambers are for resonance

“”Quote””
Hello,
The noise you are describing sounds normal. This is probably the sound of air passing by the throttle body blade. Your vehicle’s original intake components may have been designed to muffle these noises, by using resonator chambers, convoluted tubing, and a closed air box. Your engine operates much more efficiently with your new performance air intake system, with its open filter and high flow tube, and the noises which occur naturally within your engine are free to pass out into the open air, and can be more audible. If your intake system is installed as specified in the Airaid installation instructions, then the sound is normal and cannot be changed.

Regards,

AIRAID Customer Service & Tech Support
[email protected]
http://www.airaid.com
Phone: 800-498-6951
Sounds about right.

If you still have your OEM intake swap it out and see if the noise goes away. If you don't like the sound the airraid makes, then just switch back. I have worked in the automotive industry for years and trust me OEMs are EXTREMELY sensitive to things like intake noise, and such. Don't even get me started on air flow noise through the HVAC those systems have gotten insane.

Anyway I guarantee you that FCA spent orders of magnitude more money engineering their intake than AirRaid did. In addition to performance I am sure they have a dB spec for it someone where and probably even a spec on the frequency range it is aloud to produce (higher pitch noises are more noticeable) Do you feel that your engine is operating "much more efficiently"? If so keep the AirRaid and deal with the noise, if not ditch it and try for a refund.

I would like to add that for any of these aftermarket parts, if FCA could get better MPG or a few power horses out of that engine with a simple design revision that didn't adversely affect another aspect of the car... they would have. Its not the 80s anymore, the OEMs really do put a lot of thought into things like intake and exhaust. They have to, as performance = MPGs

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds about right.

If you still have your OEM intake swap it out and see if the noise goes away. If you don't like the sound the airraid makes, then just switch back. I have worked in the automotive industry for years and trust me OEMs are EXTREMELY sensitive to things like intake noise, and such. Don't even get me started on air flow noise through the HVAC those systems have gotten insane.

Anyway I guarantee you that FCA spent orders of magnitude more money engineering their intake than AirRaid did. In addition to performance I am sure they have a dB spec for it someone where and probably even a spec on the frequency range it is aloud to produce (higher pitch noises are more noticeable) Do you feel that your engine is operating "much more efficiently"? If so keep the AirRaid and deal with the noise, if not ditch it and try for a refund.

I would like to add that for any of these aftermarket parts, if FCA could get better MPG or a few power horses out of that engine with a simple design revision that didn't adversely affect another aspect of the car... they would have. Its not the 80s anymore, the OEMs really do put a lot of thought into things like intake and exhaust. They have to, as performance = MPGs

Thanks!

Ive been bouncing around the idea of getting the mopar performance intake for the Jt. I was thinking along the same lines as you with the amount of engineering they put into the oem stuff.

njvin

First Name
Vinnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I have a whistle as well rpm based. When I took back to the dealer, they told me it was a “known issue” with the JT and there was a fix for it. Had to order the parts to repair. I’ll let you know if it works.

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I have a whistle as well rpm based. When I took back to the dealer, they told me it was a “known issue” with the JT and there was a fix for it. Had to order the parts to repair. I’ll let you know if it works.
yea please do. Id have to re install the oem intake to have warranty work done on it, so a heads up would be outstanding!
Sponsored