Sponsored

Who else is happy with the Pentastar?

marcwithac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow
I've had my JT for about 6 months now, and I have to say I'm surprisingly happy with the Pentastar. I was on the fence about going diesel but couldn't justify it for many reasons. Cons outweighed the pros for me. The Pentastar starts easy in really cold weather. It's quiet. Does just fine towing my TT. Has more than enough power for what I use it for. I came from a V6 Tacoma and I like it better than that engine.
Sponsored

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I've had my JT for about 6 months now, and I have to say I'm surprisingly happy with the Pentastar. I was on the fence about going diesel but couldn't justify it for many reasons. Cons outweighed the pros for me. The Pentastar starts easy in really cold weather. It's quiet. Does just fine towing my TT. Has more than enough power for what I use it for. I came from a V6 Tacoma and I like it better than that engine.
Exact same reasoning and justified every week. I don’t tow and I’m not at 12,000ft, I DD and weekend warrior.
And I’m confident if I rent/buy a trailer and go to the mountains I’ll survive.
My gladiator is faster than the first 6 cars, way more useful than the M3, and reliable. That to me is perfect.
I was regretful I didn’t wait (a week!) to be able to order the diesel but I don’t drive long distances often and would be biting my nails waiting for it to break.

Green_Gladiator

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave, 22 NX350 F-Sport
Occupation
Commercial HVAC
Does its job! I was sceptical about the motor as it is my first jeep and heard minivan motor many times ... However after some research, this is a very commonly used motor for many years on various vehicles ... tells me it should be reliable ... I've only had 4cyl Toyotas and 8cyl Fords. The Pentastar is my first V6 ... and with the 8sp auto trans it has surpassed my expectations...

Sponsored

bring44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Professor
Does its job! I was sceptical about the motor as it is my first jeep and heard minivan motor many times ... However after some research, this is a very commonly used motor for many years on various vehicles ... tells me it should be reliable ... I've only had 4cyl Toyotas and 8cyl Fords. The Pentastar is my first V6 ... and with the 8sp auto trans it has surpassed my expectations...
I like to use the reverse logic when the "minivan" engine thing is so begrudgingly mentioned...maybe they are minivans with truck engines.

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Willys
I have to say, for everyone complaining about how sluggish it is, I have the 6MT and I added an iDRIVE throttle controller. I never feel sluggish anymore. It’s got plenty of pep now. The pedal is controlled electronically and it’s sending a weak signal to CPU when you’re pressing it. However, if you buy a throttle controller (mine was less than $200 and super easy to install) then you control that output.

Last edited:

Adawg1203

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
I’m extremely pleased with the Pentastar engine. It delivers enough power without being underpowered, it’s reliable, smooth when paired w/8spd and plenty capable for towing.

That all said I think the engine should be a bit more fuel efficient but the Gladiator is a heavy truck for the size.

Choatecav

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales
I have to say, for everyone complaining about how sluggish it is, I have the 6MT and I added an iDRIVE throttle controller. I never feel sluggish anymore. It’s got plenty of pep now. The pedal is controlled electronically and it’s sending a weak signal to CPU when your pressing it. However, if you buy a throttle controller (mine was less than $200 and super easy to install) then you control that output.
I have to say that I am pleased with my Pentastar and my manual transmission. But, please expand a little more, RBArthur82 on the iDRIVE controller that you mentioned here. I am interested.

Sponsored

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have to say that I am pleased with my Pentastar and my manual transmission. But, please expand a little more, RBArthur82 on the iDRIVE controller that you mentioned here. I am interested.
Here is the link:

iDRIVE Throttle Controller

Here is a good review on it:

iDRIVE Gladiator Review

At the 4:10 mark is where they try it out. The first part of the video they show how they install it which is very easy. I set mine up the same exact way they did. I use setting U1 and that is good enough for me. Best mod for me so far.

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is the link:

iDRIVE Throttle Controller

Here is a good review on it:

iDRIVE Gladiator Review

At the 4:10 mark is where they try it out. The first part of the video they show how they install it which is very easy. I set mine up the same exact way they did. I use setting U1 and that is good enough for me. Best mod for me so far.
Also, it can be used on both AT or MT. It has a setting for both. As I mentioned, I have the 6MT and it works perfectly.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
No complaints from me but I do kind of wish it had 5.7 in it just for a little bit more oommpppffff. I put the Idrive Throttle controller on it and it is very responsive. But its just a DD all purpose truck and Beach comber for me the next coming years. Little bit of towing here and there.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Want a small hint of what it's like, drive with your traction control on, then turn it off and punch it. Traction control governs the throttle to keep torque down on slick roads.

Choatecav

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales
Also, it can be used on both AT or MT. It has a setting for both. As I mentioned, I have the 6MT and it works perfectly.
Thanks RBA!!! That sounds like just what I want for mine. That sluggishness was my only negative and I believe this will take care of it. :like:
Sponsored