Who else is tempted by other vehicles?

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
What's going on everyone? I keep finding myself in a weird spot given the JT is a year away. My dealer keeps tempting me with a JLUR and has chopped the price down significantly with several options just to make a deal. I keep telling them no and I am going to wait for the truck but let me tell you its proving difficult. I have even been looking around for a late model Cherokee XJ to hold me over for the next year or two until the JT is available, but those things have skyrocketed in price the last few years.

I have been without a Jeep for two years now since I had to sell my built 2015 JK when my wife and I were expecting our second child. My wife cried the day we traded it in and has been eager to get another Jeep again. Hell, both of us are! I currently drive a 2016 GTI and although fun, inexpensive monthly, and practical for a small family, it isn't a Jeep and I miss camping and exploring more with each passing day. I am lucky I suppose as the time away from a Jeep has afforded me the opportunity to save a significant chunk of change to put towards my next Jeep, but the wait is slowly killing me. On top of all of that, I am a tinkerer. Working on cars is my passion and hobby and always where I find relief from the stresses of life. This is true to the point that I actually have the date stuck in my head of the last part I purchased. Sickening, I know.

But the logical side of me keeps telling myself to be patient, you've waited since 2005 for a new Jeep truck so what's another year? I will tell you all though, the new JL's are very tempting but I cannot afford to get a JLUR then turn around in a year and get a JT. The change I have saved up for the JT goes back a few years now and I would be spending nearly all of that on a JL which I know I will kick myself for in a year from now. My wife wants the truck and I want the truck but the inability to get out in the mountains and do what I love is proving difficult to counteract. The upside is I have a very good friend who lives out in Prescott, AZ and I am heading out to visit him for a second time in May. We are hitting up Expo West and doing some camping and exploring of AZ and UT again so I have that to look forward to. My buddy has a 2017 TRDOR Tacoma and the practically of a pickup in an off-road/long distance trail scenario basically sold me on the idea of owning a truck.

My hope for the next year is to continue to stockpile funds and have a significant down payment where I can finally get my Jeep truck exactly how I want so that it will be with me indefinitely. I have owned a few Comanche's in the past but they aren't practical for a family so hopefully the Jeep truck proves to be worth the wait and is everything my wife and I have been hoping for. Hopefully this thread helps anyone else struggling with the temptation of another vehicle and we can all stay the course and get our JT's like we've planned. Cheers everyone!

JK on the left was mine in the mountains of NC.

15111042_10154414006899998_7486600757660043479_o.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

JustMakeItAlready!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep JKU Sahara
Oh man! I struggle with this daily. Currently I have an 2008 JKU that has a few problems that make it tough to daily drive. The main problems are the heat works sporadically and never below 10 degrees(I live in Minnesota) and the front suspension needs some work so its not a "flighty" when on the highway and its very rough over bumps. Almost uncontrollable when going over a railroad crossing. I've been thinking about getting the suspension refreshed with a new OME 2" lift, but just can't bring myself to spend the money on it now when I'll loose all of it in trade next year.

Makes we want to go out and get the JL or a Colorado, but I'd be depressed next year seeing the truck of my dreams driving around that I could no longer afford. Just like you I've been waiting since 2005 when the concept wrangler truck came out. Back then I said if Jeep ever made a 4 door, diesel, manual, convertible truck I'd be first in line. Only took them 14 years, but guess what - I've been saving and have even convinced the wife its happening.

RichmonS

First Name
Richmon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I have a 2010 JK Unlimited X with manual. I am tempted by the Tacoma Off-road. I want the JT but, with the Ranger out by then as well I have it in my mind to compare the JT and Ranger before buying. It will be one of those three. I do not care for the Colorado/Canyon or the Frontier.

OP
OP
Wraith

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
I actually went and checked out an AEV built JK350 last night. Although nice and well equipped, it wasn't really what I was looking for long term. If the JT was never on the radar and wasn't going to be a reality I would look elsewhere and probably buy a JL Sport S and build it how I want. I have been out of a Jeep for two years now and driving my GTI everyday and it is definitely a fun and sporty little car but it is just that. Little. My family of four struggles to take it anywhere so we generally don't and just use my wifes SUV instead. I think I have finally gotten to the point I am tired of looking at older used vehicles to purchase and hold me over for the next few years and instead just hunker down and stay the course until the JT comes out. This is the longest I have ever gone without owning a Jeep and it is wearing on me big time and making me incredibly impatient. The silver lining in all of this is ill have another year to continually save to put a sizable chunk down on the JT of my dreams. I have waited this long, what's another year going to hurt? I just need to keep telling myself that.

OP
OP
Wraith

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
Makes we want to go out and get the JL or a Colorado, but I'd be depressed next year seeing the truck of my dreams driving around that I could no longer afford. Just like you I've been waiting since 2005 when the concept wrangler truck came out. Back then I said if Jeep ever made a 4 door, diesel, manual, convertible truck I'd be first in line. Only took them 14 years, but guess what - I've been saving and have even convinced the wife its happening.
Couldn't agree more! I have tossed around buying a JL and gone through the initial stages with my dealer but backed out and decided to wait for the JT. The sales guy really didn't know what to say as I guess its the first he has heard of the truck which isn't really shocking. We are the same yet different as my wife is the one that keeps telling me its really happening and I am too impatient and want something now. My initial thought was to find an XJ and build that up to hold me over for a few years then sell it and buy a JT but finding a clean one is next to impossible at this point. Plus it wouldn't really be wise to spend my savings on that and then have nothing for the JT when it does come out. 2019 seems like forever away.

Sponsored

dew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee;WRX
Interesting you have a GTI. I had to replace my XJ a couple of years ago. Debated between Wrangler, Golf, and WRX. Put offer on Golf R, but dealer screwed me after accepting it. Couldn't do the GTI because wanted AWD. Was going to pull the trigger on a Wrangler, but Jeep wouldn't send me a $500 coupon and I just couldn't stomach spending $36K on a Wrangler. Ended up spending $26K on a WRX, which compared to Wrangler rides better, gets better mpg, turning radius of a 2dr Wrangler, and is much faster AND safer. Better usable size than the R as well plus the tires don't get busted at a drop of a hat. Costing over $10K less is also an added bonus. I am glad I chose the WRX and wouldn't trade it for a Wrangler. The KL Cherokee on the other hand is a tempting trade as its transmission stinks and the turning radius is terrible. KL doesn't have the fun factor of a Wrangler, but it is a nice ride.

Want our second vehicle to be able to plow our large size U driveway. Would be nice to be able to drive to my cousin's frontage, back trail, off-the-grid cabin. Being able to haul stuff (trash, recycling, yard waste, etc....and tow paperweight of a classic car) would be nice too. Paying over $50K for this though is tough especially when there are other pick-ups at that price range that can do all of these things while not bouncing all over the road. Although seldom, having to drive business clients around in a pickup truck let alone a Wrangler probably won't fly either. Parking a Wrangler in a city like Boston would not be easy unless its a 2 door, but not a practical choice for a family.

Switching from the Cherokee's quiet and stable ride to a RAM 1500 might be an easier sell than a Wrangler Pickup. If the JT could ride like a RAM 1500 , then the argument might be easier. The only way I get my Wrangler fix is probably to ditch the WRX, but I don't think I can do it. In the end, probably another Cherokee. I think switching from the GTI would be just as hard. It would be nice if Jeep didn't screw everyone by jacking the price, but given the exponential cost growth of the Wrangler, not very likely.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I struggle with this daily too.

I have a 2013 JKUR, and its my daily. Its actually the one vehicle I have owned for more then 3 years (ordered it new)., so I'm itching to get something different and more comfortable.

With that said having no car payment right now is keeping me in check as every time I eye something else and I calculate the payments after selling the JK I decide that its just a compromise and not something I love (in the event of a ZR2) or just more then I want to spend (Ford Raptor).

Also there is so man new vehicles on the horizon that are worth being patient for (Gladiator, Raptor Ranger, ZR2 Bison, 2020 2500 Power Wagon, Ram 1500 TRX and TR, Ford Bronco, Land Rover Defender)

Last edited by a moderator:

TERRAHAWK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
First priority for me is getting the LSX 454 into the JK which should have me tied up right up to when the JT is ready to be ordered.

Limitless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dragonfly JTR 6spd
I tapped out early when I got stellar trade price for my JKU, but im back in anticipation

OP
OP
Wraith

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
I am at the point of going stir crazy I swear. Seeing all the JL's rolling around by me is making it increasingly difficult to stay focused mostly because I have been without a Jeep for well over two years now. Getting rid of my JK wasn't something I planned on, but two kids back to back will do that (and the best thing that has ever happened to me). The Jeep itch never truly goes away and I find myself the last few days looking at JL's on local dealer websites and the gears start turning. I haven't jumped ship because I desperately want to see a JT with all the details before making a decision. On the upside (I guess?) is I have my wife's SUV to take camping in the meantime and I will keep upgrading my camping equipment so im ready when a Jeep ends up in my driveway. I am so tired of being patient haha.

Sponsored

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
I keep seeing more and more JLs running around and I want one..... next spring just seems so far away..... I do have my JKU though so not jonesing as bad....

OP
OP
Wraith

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
I keep seeing more and more JLs running around and I want one..... next spring just seems so far away..... I do have my JKU though so not jonesing as bad....
Totally understand that. I've been without a Jeep for a while now and I'm really itching to get another one. Logical tells me I'm so close to the JT release just wait. Besides, it's only been since 2005 that I've had to wait what's a few more months. Thinking of it that way helps keep things in perspective. Plus, I'm grateful that it's happening when it is as my career is set versus being a broke college kid in 2005 with nothing but dreams and aspirations. Timing is just about perfect but I'm fighting with myself more and more looking at new Jeep inventory locally. Probably should take an ice bath and cool my jets lol.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I keep looking at Ford Raptors. Used prices are coming down and I have seen some guys post they are getting $5K off MSRP on 2018s since the 2019s will be out in Sept. .... trying to hold strong, but the JK just gave me a CEL yesterday (need to replace the gas cap) and I'm ready for something with power.

OP
OP
Wraith

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
The underwhelming performance of my JK is the one thing I really don't miss about it. I haven't gone and test drove a JL yet out of fear of being too weak to resist the temptation to purchase one. I find myself regularly browsing the JL forums to hold me over. I just keep telling myself roughly nine months at this point until I can get my hands on one. Nine more months to wait and save.

Reactions: JAY

audibahn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT, 2013 JKUR
A few days ago I was signing papers on a used Tundra and pulled out last minute. Have a built LJ Wrangler for weekends and an Audi wagon as a daily driver. The JT may replace both. Over the last few weeks, I test drove a Tacoma, Tundra, Raptor, Colorado, and they all seem to miss something.

The JT may fit the bill if it delivers as expected - solid axles like my current Wrangler, comfort and ZF automatic transmission like my Audi, diesel torque like my previous TDI, more space for the whole family and towing capacity like an older Tundra.

Can't wait to see if it will meet all these expectations.
Sponsored