Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
Saw this on YouTube and I have to admit it looks pretty good for just a winch plate and two D-ring mounts. And yes, I know it is not street legal in most states.

Jeep Gladiator Who has gone front bumper-less? Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 1.51.08 PM

Jeep Gladiator Who has gone front bumper-less? Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 2.20.44 PM

Jeep Gladiator Who has gone front bumper-less? Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 2.21.03 PM
Sponsored

Last edited:

JAVIERGONZO

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Navy
Why would you though? If anything the quarter pound bumper from evo should be as small as anyone should go.

RCKLNDR

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Why would you though? If anything the quarter pound bumper from evo should be as small as anyone should go.
I have to assume this is more cost effective than the QP and you do have to do some hacking below the frame horns for it so that route might not be for everyone. That being said, I’d go quarter pounder as well.
Had one a couple JKs ago and really liked it.
Jeep Gladiator Who has gone front bumper-less? 5E2CF018-A4A2-4DAA-B5F3-DFE0C1118518

aai

First Name
aai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Saw this on YouTube and I have to admit it looks pretty good for just a winch plate and two D-ring mounts. And yes, I know it is not street legal in most states.

Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 1.51.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 2.20.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 2.21.03 PM.png
works for me, been running it like that for almost 2 years now. No drama putting on a front hitch which was important to me to carry other things like racks, bikes etc. Weight savings helps with that. I was going to do the Quarter Pounder which the horns should be cut to get maximum benefit. Need that support for a front hitch. Not doing any crazy stuff with this but use as a mule....I have a few more images of the bumper less look in my home page if you're really interested in doing it

Jeep Gladiator Who has gone front bumper-less? tempImage8sEORM

Jeep Gladiator Who has gone front bumper-less? tempImagegukM9x

Jeep Gladiator Who has gone front bumper-less? B9F6A907-DAAD-4268-B79F-FA73D3F03F2F_1_201_a

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
XraytecH

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
works for me, been running it like that for almost 2 years now. No drama putting on a front hitch which was important to me to carry other things like racks, bikes etc. Weight savings helps with that. I was going to do the Quarter Pounder which the horns should be cut to get maximum benefit. Need that support for a front hitch. Not doing any crazy stuff with this but use as a mule....I have a few more images of the bumper less look in my home page if you're really interested in doing it

Jeep Gladiator Who has gone front bumper-less? B9F6A907-DAAD-4268-B79F-FA73D3F03F2F_1_201_a

Where did you get your D-ring mounts?

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J

Technically, it has a front bumper. The winch plate/fairlead would constitute a front bumper UNLESS your State has a minimum width law. Which in that case the EVO quarter pounder would be illegal too.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
Technically, it has a front bumper. The winch plate/fairlead would constitute a front bumper UNLESS your State has a minimum width law. Which in that case the EVO quarter pounder would be illegal too.
If you REALLY dig into your state vehicle equipment laws, you’ll see just how little that seems to get enforced. I.e. That bumper would probably fly in Virginia (there’s something there that you can call a bumper), but just about every lifted 1/2 ton in my town technically would be outside the limit.

I’m curious to know how that bumper would be treated from a liability standpoint if you were in a front end collision. That’s not exactly going to have much ”give.”

The bit on lifts (below) is interesting. That apparently doesn’t get much attention either.

Article 8. Steering and Suspension Systems.

The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 4,501 pounds to 7,500 pounds shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 29 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 30 inches.

No vehicle shall be operated on a public highway if it has been modified by any means so as to raise its body more than three inches, in addition to any manufacturer's spacers and bushings, above the vehicle's frame rail or manufacturer's attachment points on the frame rail.
https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacodefull/title46.2/chapter10/article8/

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
I know states have minimum and maximum bumper height laws.
I know states have laws pertaining to ability to withstand a 5 MPH impact.
I know some states have laws about how much a bumper should give if a pedestrian is impacted.

I am old enough to remember when an "off-road bumper" was a piece of 4" pipe welded to a couple of steel plates that were either bolted or welded to a frame.

I also know that most JEEP bumpers wouldn't pass the pedestrian friendly laws.

Really it doesn't matter, if a local LEO doesn't like the looks of you or your ride, you're getting a ticket.

Reactions: aai

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
  • Alabama: No bumper requirements
  • Alaska: Bumper must maintain factory design
  • Arizona: No bumper requirements
  • Arkansas: No bumper requirements
  • California: Must have front and rear bumpers
  • Colorado: No bumper requirements
  • Connecticut: No bumper requirements
  • Delaware: No bumper requirements
  • Florida: Must have front and rear bumpers
  • Georgia: No bumper requirements
  • Hawaii: Must have front and rear bumpers
  • Idaho: Must have front and rear bumpers
  • Illinois: Must have front and rear bumpers
  • Indiana: Must maintain factory design
  • Iowa: Must have front and rear bumpers
  • Kansas: No bumper requirements
  • Kentucky: No bumper requirements
  • Louisiana: Must have front and rear bumpers
  • Maine: Must maintain factory design
  • Maryland: Must have front and rear bumpers
  • Massachusetts: Must have front and rear bumpers
  • Michigan: Must have front and rear bumpers
  • Minnesota: Must have front and rear bumpers
  • Mississippi: No bumper requirements
  • Missouri: Must have front and rear bumpers
  • Montana: Must have front and rear bumpers
  • Nebraska: No bumper requirements
  • Nevada: No bumper requirements
  • New Hampshire: Must have front and rear bumpers
  • New Jersey: No bumper requirements
  • New Mexico: No bumper requirements
  • New York: Must have front and rear bumpers
  • North Carolina: No bumper requirements
  • North Dakota: Must have front and rear bumpers
  • Ohio: Must maintain factory design
  • Oklahoma: No bumper requirements
  • Oregon: No bumper requirements
  • Pennsylvania: Must have front and rear bumpers
  • Rhode Island: Must have front and rear bumpers
  • South Carolina: Must have front and rear bumpers
  • South Dakota: No bumper requirements
  • Tennessee: Must have front and rear bumpers
  • Texas: No bumper requirements
  • Utah: Must maintain factory design
  • Washington: Must have front and rear bumpers
  • West Virginia: Must maintain factory design
  • Wisconsin: Must have front and rear bumpers
  • Wyoming: No bumper requirements

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Yup, that's what I have to live with, "Must maintain factory design"

What your quick search doesn't reference is the bumper heights. I know Indiana has minimum and maximum numbers and there are several states that also have that.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
All of that stuff is out there.
I had that list in under 15 seconds. I found Iowa laws as well, related to height and other factors.
Some are concerned about the damage done to OTHER vehicles, some about damage to pedestrians, and so on.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
All of that stuff is out there.
I had that list in under 15 seconds. I found Iowa laws as well, related to height and other factors.
Some are concerned about the damage done to OTHER vehicles, some about damage to pedestrians, and so on.
I'd imagine my factory steel bumpers would be no fun for a pedestrian. I know the steel bumpers are a no go in Europe. I guess in the US, they get a pass since they are factory, even in those states.

As strict as Pennsylvania is, other than height, and just presence, they don't really care what your bumper is made of, as long as it's OE strength or better.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'd imagine my factory steel bumpers would be no fun for a pedestrian. I know the steel bumpers are a no go in Europe. I guess in the US, they get a pass since they are factory, even in those states.

As strict as Pennsylvania is, other than height, and just presence, they don't really care what your bumper is made of, as long as it's OE strength or better.
I imagine a lot of it is going to be trouble only if:
Trooper doesn't like it and finds fault with it
or
You are in an accident and the lack of bumper, or wrong bumper, cause trouble.
I suppose another party would try to find a way to blame some damage or injury on the mods.