Who Has Just The Soft Top????

CinciAv

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2004 Rubicon, 1972 CJ6
After giving up on my 2021 Bronco reservation, I decided to get a Gladiator instead.

Had a hard time finding any with just the soft top. Or even dual tops. New or used.

Checked into aftermarket tops new or used and was shocked at the prices. Over $1000. So that was not really an option.

Did finally find one in MI and my dealer did a dealer trade. That dealer in MI had 2 and my dealer had one base sport manual with a soft top. That was closest i found without going to texas.

So my question is, why are softtops so rare on the JT, but significantly more popular on the JL and JK?

The tops have greatly improved since the CJ and YJ days. And the JT doesnt have the side windows to deal with. So much more convenient to use then on the JL.
Sponsored

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
Rare because they look weird, and don't operate the way you'd really want them to. Search the forum for "Man Bun"

I thought that I wanted a soft top when I bought mine, but the reality is, you can get the sunrider for the hard top, or just take the 2 minutes to pop out the panels... most of the time you probably will have the top closed.

FrankFrqnkFrank

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
I wanted a soft top so I could be aggressive with solo open air driving close to inclement weather. Since I bought off the lot, I also found there was no soft top available. I do like the hardtop in winter, more than I expected. I’m thinking about getting a soft top for the summer. I’d be very open to buying a used soft top. Looking forward to what others are thinking.

mbbq22

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I have a Rubicon, manual, with the soft top. To be honest, I'm really happy with it and I find that I drive often with the back window of the soft top removed. I happen to really appreciate how quickly I can open the whole top and the versatility of the doors off and the back window out in the summer if it happens to be a day where I don't want the sun directly on me. I'm in Delaware so been lucky with fairly mild winters so haven't had any issues with soft top being too cold.

Hockeypilot44

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Wrangler
I have the premium soft top. I live in South Florida. My neighbor has a hard top. I fold my top back daily. He's taken his top off twice in the last year and a half.

When a rain shower or thunderstorm appears, it takes me 10 seconds to pull over and fold my top back on. Problem with hard top is even when you take it off, you can't take it with you.

Get a premium soft top and never look back. Order exactly what you want. It took just under 3 months for mine to arrive.

Sponsored

OP
OP

CinciAv

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2004 Rubicon, 1972 CJ6
Glad there are a few st lovers out there.

I had one jeep with a hardtop,took it off when I got home and it has never been installed back.

One other improvement over the JLU, is when it was folded back it blocked some of your veiw to the rear, even more if you had the hard trunk installed.

JT top is more unsightly folded back, but doesnt block your veiw.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I do, I had no choice but to custom order. Wanted a rubicon and most of the ones on the lot were color matched just to make the situation even worse for me when looking (wanted a rubicon at a sport s price pretty much). So glad I went soft top only Since switching tops requires the extra doors surrounds and such. I just hope I never have to rent a uhaul trailer and I am good with just it.

For the Man Bun look I could care less because everybody else on the road doesn't have a convertible. Freedom panels wouldn't work for me since I have kids in the back that would be mad at me.

Jfinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
I wanted the diesel Rubicon with the premium soft top. That is a unicorn. Had to order it and wait 2 months. I wanted just the soft top because my back seat passengers would be mad if the top wasn't open over them and I don't really have a place to store the hard top. Also since I live in the south everyday there is the possibility of rain no matter what so I don't like to be out without the top.
Jeep Gladiator Who Has Just The Soft Top???? gladiator

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
I would be very open to getting a trektop, like the tops that are available for the wranglers, no frame, just sits on the cage.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I wanted the diesel Rubicon with the premium soft top. That is a unicorn. Had to order it and wait 2 months. I wanted just the soft top because my back seat passengers would be mad if the top wasn't open over them and I don't really have a place to store the hard top. Also since I live in the south everyday there is the possibility of rain no matter what so I don't like to be out without the top.
And any day down south can be a topless day. I have had multiple days every month even during the winter my top goes back, but all those days usually have a risk of rain, lol.

Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Man you don't know how many people told me that when I had the hard top on and would pop the freedom panels off. All I heard was that is not fair you get the top off and we get stuck in the back here. Now with the soft top everyone gets open air

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I've got both tops. Hard top was on for about 3 weeks and has been in storage ever since. If your gonna have image issues about the man bun like a lot of people do then its likely not for you. Almost every day here in South Texas is top off day but chances of rain. So drop the top down in a flash and if needed it goes back up in a flash. I can't put it in the garage so at night it goes back into place. It I want to take everything off that doesn't take long either

Skull

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Occupation
Aircraft Technician
Love mine...see how it holds up. Convenient as hell to just pop open and go in a minute. Reason I bought it. I never have cared what other people think or say about the man bun look...sounds like a personal problem to a lot of people.

Jobofly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2022 JTM
I have a hard top for my gladiator. Its great but it is a risk if you are away from home and it starts raining. My wife's JL came with a hard top and we purchased a soft top for it at the beginning of last summer. I will say that the soft top is very easy and convenient. She is running the hard top in the winter and soft top in the summer. I will probably get a soft top for my JT this spring.

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
So my question is, why are softtops so rare on the JT, but significantly more popular on the JL and JK?
I think it's how they price the hardtop. I seem to remember it's included in the popular equipment package for same price as ordering just hardtop but if you select the stand alone hardtop and then click the popular eqip. package it drops price. So essentially the hardtop only costs a few hundred dollars.

I bought a base with softtop, but had I went "s" model, it's nearly impossible to find a softtop for under $45K on the lots.
Sponsored