Last edited:

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
meh ... Anything can fail and failures of JL and JT knuckles does not appear to be a common event under moderate use.
If anyone is worried about it (and doesn't already have a Mojave), cast iron knuckles are available. I don't wheel nearly hard enough to worry about this. And I won't, because mine is a DD.

AXISJT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Wrangler, Gladiator ecodiesel sport
Occupation
Lab manager
If anyone is worried about it (and doesn't already have a Mojave), cast iron knuckles are available. I don't wheel nearly hard enough to worry about this. And I won't, because mine is a DD.
The diesel also has cast iron knuckles

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Reid racing knuckles and some HD ball joints will run you about $1k. 2 Major fail points. Bet that tow out was about the same price as parts that wont fail.

But I dont see anything there that should snap the aluminum knuckles. Looks very mild at worst.

edit...

fancy shocks, bet speed was involved.

Jeep Gladiator who here broke their knuckle 1646416415212

OP
OP

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
the point being is to keep an eye on them after hard use. It is interesting it broke at the ball joint hole, which could be the weakest part.

OP
OP

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
it seems speed is the killer on all these front axles, either the FAD snapping or now the knuckle.

That is why I am hoping the owner of said jeep tells us all the details. :devil: might have to hunt around on the JUL forum

Last edited:

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
Did ya notice the bright blue wheel spacers when the wheel was removed? Seems silly vs buying wheels with the proper offset considering all the other add-ons to the rig.

Looking at the trail on their way out, and the v-notch he was attempting to ride up, components were stressed.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Did ya notice the bright blue wheel spacers when the wheel was removed? Seems silly vs buying wheels with the proper offset considering all the other add-ons to the rig.

Looking at the trail on their way out, and the v-notch he was attempting to ride up, components were stressed.
Those are spidertrax, most likely he just liked the way the wheels look and added the spacers. Properly made and quality like that they arent really any different than the right back spacing on wheels. Only extra stress is the extra track width but again offset would do that too

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase

What does wheel spacers have to do with anything, a wheel spacer isn't going to cause a failure like that. It's not anymore stress on components than running the wheels with the same offset. Doesn't seem silly to me, maybe he could get those wheels with the offset that he wanted.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Those are spidertrax, most likely he just liked the way the wheels look and added the spacers. Properly made and quality like that they arent really any different than the right back spacing on wheels. Only extra stress is the extra track width but again offset would do that too
You beat me to it!!!!!!

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
Did you see how many trail badges that guy had?
Retired Vet doing nothing but wheeling; my dream as a fellow vet!
In other words... that knuckle didn't owe him anything!
Time for an upgrade! Wish him the best.

tommyp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow
... he clearly stated that we was not using lockers and was hopping the front. Way to many variables to consider

Yup he said his front wasn't locked and he was bouncing. Also a diesel with what looked like heavy bumper and winch. A bit of weight on that front end.
Sponsored