Sponsored

Who here does not use LED because the lens is not heated?

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Automotive LED Manufacturer
UPDATE: Heated 9" Oculus available here: https://www.oraclelights.com/produc...for-jeep-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt-heated-lens

_____

Hello northern friends! We are working on a heated lens option for our 9" headlight and wanted to get some feedback from the members here.

There are a few ways we are currently exploring to wire the heating element, your feedback would help us design a product that best fits your needs.

Do you prefer the heating element to work off of a temperature sensor to turn the heat on and off based on a pre-set temperature threshold? Would you rather a separate power cable that can be tapped to the defroster switch or to a manual switch?

Option 1: Temperature Sensor
Pros: Easy to install, no additional wiring.
Cons: Power is jumped from the headlight power input so the heater would not turn on unless you turn the headlights on.

Option 2: Separate Power Cable Tapped to Defroster
Pros: Will start defrosting the headlights with windshield defroster when vehicle is remote started.
Cons: Requires additional wiring connection during installation.

Let us know your thoughts!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lorenf303

First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Camaro 2LT RS
Occupation
retired
I like option 1. Simple is

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
While I do not have a Gladiator yet, my Ridgeline has a serious issue with icing on the factory LED headlights. This is the only reason I haven't swapped out the halogen fog lights for LEDs. Personally, I think option 2 would be better, mainly because you can turn the heater on only when you want, rather than it being on whenever the temp is below X degrees, regardless of the weather conditions. I would, however, suggest using the REAR defroster to control it, since there are times in the summer when you need to defog the windshield, but wouldn't need the headlight heater on.:like:

Last edited:

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Never had a issue in North Carolina with mine icing over but if the option was offered I'd rather be able to tap into the defroster so I could turn them on like that. This seem like it would be pricey

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
I went with a led replacement bulb vs buying a full headlight completely because no one had 9in heated ones.. and I don't like the look of the 7in adapters at all. Couldn't justify the cost for a light that basical was useless in snow. (the bulb replacement is useless as well but only around $100)

I had the trucklite heated on my jk and they were great.

They were heated based on temp. Wich worked fine. But I would have preferred to time them into the REAR defrost circuit. Since it's not needed when it's simply cold out

Sponsored

5chema

First Name
Mateo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Canada Launch Edition (1of419)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, the automatic sensor-based option 1 seems the best, because, unlike rear windows and mirrors that we can directly notice the freezing process from the very beginning, it’s hard to see the headlights freezing until it’s too late!

The next step is to determine the trigger temp suitable for the sensor...

JRegister

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S w/Max Tow
Option 1 is my vote. I prefer easy :)

Also it just makes sense that the heater is based off a temperature sensor, and that it turns on when the headlights are on (when the temperature sensor threshold is met)

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't want the heaters on when they aren't needed?

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
What we need is an heater grid overlay that attaches to the oem led headlights.

Sponsored

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
I'd prefer option 1 as long as that temp sensor is ROCK SOLID, and zero chance of failure. If it starts malfunctioning, you'd probably be looking at a new set of lights. Option 2 is better for long term reliability I think since it just needs a live wire to power the heating element, and you can set that up however you want outside the lights.

I'm a buyer when you get this product out; I'm in the upper midwest, plenty of freezing conditions for about half of each year.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
What we need is an heater grid overlay that attaches to the oem led headlights.
I think this would be the best way to go. Something like a headlight guard that has a couple heat settings to stave off the ice would be much more universal and bonus points if they can be removed when out of season.

I don't want to be powering a heater element 100% of the time my headlights are on when I deal with ice a few times a year and I definitely use the defroster when I don't have ice. I'd rather they be an independent circuit.

OP
OP
ORACLElights

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Automotive LED Manufacturer
So the process of integrating the heating element into the radius curve of or Oculus lens was far more complex of a task than we initially thought but we were finally able to work with a partner with the equipment needed to do this correctly.

The other cool thing is that the heated design mirrors the bezel design of the Oculus lights so it does not look like an afterthought like a lot of the other options out there.

Jeep Gladiator Who here does not use LED because the lens is not heated? oculus_heated_lens

For those of you looking for a heated option we would like to offer these at a discounted price to 2-3 members here who would use these through the winter and provide some feedback. If you would be interested just post here in the thread and we will reach out when we have some units assembled.

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
Well I have an order in for your headlights that hasn't been fulfilled yet. I live in Minnesota so I'd say I qualify for the climate your intending these to work in. I'm interested.
Sponsored