Sponsored

Who's going to buy a Sport S now, then a Rubicon in 2 years?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I'm looking at the close to $55k INVOICE AFTER 6% OFF BEFORE TAX for the Rubicon I want to build. I can either wait 12-18 months and pull the trigger, or buy a Sport S with no options and then sell it in 2 years and get a rubicon. I could buy some of the aftermarket mods i want for my future rubicon and swap them out with the factory original parts before I sell it.

Here's my concern, according to this, https://usedfirst.com/cars/jeep/wrangler/ a 2 year old Wrangler would be worth about 78% of its new value. Assuming that the Gladiator follows a similar path, what options I should get on the sport S to help keep the resale value high, and also vehicle appeal in the secondary market. Thoughts?

2nd question. With these studies are they talking about MSRP new pricing to used pricing paid on open market private party sales?

Suppose you buy a Sport S for 6% below invoice, $35,820.00 invoice sport s+ $1,495.00 destination = $37,315 * 94% = $35,076 without tax. If you sell it for 78% of MSRP that would be $28,661, or 81.7% of your pre-tax price (but that included destination).
So i'd spend $6,415 to drive a JT for 2 years, but if I sold it in 4 years, that chart says you'ld still get 73.47% of MSRP, or $26,996, or 76.9% of your pre-tax price. So it would only cost $8,080 for 4 years of driving it.

Did I do this right? Do they base these studies on MSRP?

Now i gotta add up all the options you guys say are necessary to get for good resale, and then compare.
Sponsored

41Willys

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Honda Pilot, '16 Kia Sorrento, '07 Toyota Tundra
My head hurts from all that math.

Personally, I will just wait and buy used. I can't justify basically a $1,000/month car note PLUS insurance for 5 years. I think this is why people lease instead of buy super expensive cars.

starrsRN

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADON RN
I said it in the beginning the sport S is the way to go for the gladiator. You can get the max tow which will give you dana 44 front/rear and 4.10 gears. Rubicon flares can be purchased from the dealer and installed. Wheels tires can be added also. It’s definatley the best bang for the buck scenario. You’ll be able to build a sport S for far cheaper than a lightly modded Rubicon.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I said it in the beginning the sport S is the way to go for the gladiator. You can get the max tow which will give you dana 44 front/rear and 4.10 gears. Rubicon flares can be purchased from the dealer and installed. Wheels tires can be added also. It’s definatley the best bang for the buck scenario. You’ll be able to build a sport S for far cheaper than a lightly modded Rubicon.
As far as fenders go, so the body isn't any different on the rubicon and you can just bolt on the Rubicon fenders onto the Sport Body?

I'm thinking the options i should get for resale are
limited slip rear
max tow
automatic
cold weather group
premium soft top.

starrsRN

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADON RN
As far as fenders go, so the body isn't any different on the rubicon and you can just bolt on the Rubicon fenders onto the Sport Body?

I'm thinking the options i should get for resale are
limited slip rear
max tow
automatic
cold weather group
premium soft top.
Pretty sure fenders are the same, but the Rubicon flare just sits 2” higher. The Rubicon flares can be purchased and added to any of them.

Sponsored

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I'm looking at the close to $55k INVOICE AFTER 6% OFF BEFORE TAX for the Rubicon I want to build. I can either wait 12-18 months and pull the trigger, or buy a Sport S with no options and then sell it in 2 years and get a rubicon. I could buy some of the aftermarket mods i want for my future rubicon and swap them out with the factory original parts before I sell it.

Here's my concern, according to this, https://usedfirst.com/cars/jeep/wrangler/ a 2 year old Wrangler would be worth about 78% of its new value. Assuming that the Gladiator follows a similar path, what options I should get on the sport S to help keep the resale value high, and also vehicle appeal in the secondary market. Thoughts?

2nd question. With these studies are they talking about MSRP new pricing to used pricing paid on open market private party sales?

Suppose you buy a Sport S for 6% below invoice, $35,820.00 invoice sport s+ $1,495.00 destination = $37,315 * 94% = $35,076 without tax. If you sell it for 78% of MSRP that would be $28,661, or 81.7% of your pre-tax price (but that included destination).
So i'd spend $6,415 to drive a JT for 2 years, but if I sold it in 4 years, that chart says you'ld still get 73.47% of MSRP, or $26,996, or 76.9% of your pre-tax price. So it would only cost $8,080 for 4 years of driving it.

Did I do this right? Do they base these studies on MSRP?

Now i gotta add up all the options you guys say are necessary to get for good resale, and then compare.
Based off MSRP vrs average transaction price for model and trim level. This amount varies between trade-in vrs private party and Base vrs Loaded trims. Historically vehicles at higher trim levels return a higher percentage as there are less available, more desirable, and sell quicker which results in a higher transaction price. IMO the Sport JT will not return as high of a value as competitors or the Rubicon because they will typically have far more options added from base MSRP (percent of Vehicle MSRP) and the absurd delivery cost. For example, starting at the base MSRP on a Sport to comparable standard equipment to competitors such as PW/PL, auto trans, touch screen monitor, and a hard roof the JT requires an up charge of $8,5000 including destination. The Ranger and Tacoma include basic tow package and advanced safety features on mid level trims, which adds another $2,0000 to the JT. So with 10k in basic options, I do not think you will get as high of percentage back due to the high option add on price. The Rubicons will end up with better resale due to demand and number of standard features that don’t have to be optioned on.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Play all the mathematical judo you want, but the fact remains there is only a 17% base price premium of the Rubicon over the Sport S. You will be at a bigger loss in depreciation and 2 model years of price increases waiting on getting the Rubicon at a 2 year later date.

Never understood people who fret over resale value. If that is your biggest worry, lease.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Play all the mathematical judo you want, but the fact remains there is only a 17% base price premium of the Rubicon over the Sport S. You will be at a bigger loss in depreciation and 2 model years of price increases waiting on getting the Rubicon at a 2 year later date.

Never understood people who fret over resale value. If that is your biggest worry, lease.
It's not my biggest worry, it's just one of many deciding factors. Also, if I get a sport s now, in 2-4 years the Rubicon will have more standard features and might have the straight 6 turbo. Oh, lol :CWL: that was your first post.

Ichthus

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gobi JTR, 20 Bikini Willys JLU, 18 GC Overland
Occupation
Pilot
Though, with a manual, there is no max tow...so I’m looking at a $2-3k more to get a Rubicon. I don’t have to pay for the high-clearance flares, and I can sell the wheels and 33” tires for 2-4 times the amount I’d get for Sport S wheels/tires. I crunch the numbers and, having bought 4 different new Wranglers in the past, see the Rubicon as being a value for the first time.

Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pretty sure fenders are the same, but the Rubicon flare just sits 2” higher. The Rubicon flares can be purchased and added to any of them.
Was that the same way with the Wranglers? i'm assuming so.

pau32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The more options the more you loose I would just get the Spray-in Bedliner and the Auxiliary Switches which is cheap and desirable for people who plan to mod. If I was buying used I would also want the 7 inch screen.

If you bought a base Sport instead of Sport S you could probably sell it around for what you bought it for with 7% under invoice. It holds the most % value out of the four Wrangler models.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2006 Jeep Liberty
Based off MSRP vrs average transaction price for model and trim level. This amount varies between trade-in vrs private party and Base vrs Loaded trims. Historically vehicles at higher trim levels return a higher percentage as there are less available, more desirable, and sell quicker which results in a higher transaction price. IMO the Sport JT will not return as high of a value as competitors or the Rubicon because they will typically have far more options added from base MSRP (percent of Vehicle MSRP) and the absurd delivery cost. For example, starting at the base MSRP on a Sport to comparable standard equipment to competitors such as PW/PL, auto trans, touch screen monitor, and a hard roof the JT requires an up charge of $8,5000 including destination. The Ranger and Tacoma include basic tow package and advanced safety features on mid level trims, which adds another $2,0000 to the JT. So with 10k in basic options, I do not think you will get as high of percentage back due to the high option add on price. The Rubicons will end up with better resale due to demand and number of standard features that don’t have to be optioned on.
This is not accurate, at least for the Wrangler. Sport and Sport S give you back the highest percentage of base price. I agree options don't give you as much return as base price.

So if you were only concerned about resale you would get the cheapest vehicle that meets your needs with the fewest options.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is not accurate, at least for the Wrangler. Sport and Sport S give you back the highest percentage of base price. I agree options don't give you as much return as base price.

So if you were only concerned about resale you would get the cheapest vehicle that meets your needs with the fewest options.
I guess we'll see in 2 years if the JT follows the Wrangler in this regard.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmmm, i might just do the sport then because even with almost all the options its only $36270, I can enjoy driving a JT for 2-4 years and still get like $24-26,000 (and don't have to worry about somebody not wanting my vehicle because of lack of options) when i sell it. Then i can get my fully loaded Rubigator with 3.0 I6 Turbo or plug in hybrid, lol

Or I could have a nice upcoming 6 months at work and just get the Rubigator this year.

roll up tonneau cover
max tow package with 4.1 axle ratio,
auxillary switch group
block heater
8 speed auto
track lok anti spin rear differential

$32,972.00 invoice
$1,495.00 msrp
-2315 6% discount
$36270 before tax
Sponsored