Sponsored

Why are larger diameter tires more expensive?

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
My knee jerk reaction is that if the same width tire has a larger diameter, wouldn't that equal less rubber and less weight, therefore less cost?

School me please.
Sponsored

BrandonG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
Ya I’ve never understood this either lol I think originally it made sense as there were less cars with 20’s but now a days I dunno ‍♂

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
There is likely an element of supply/demand on an offroad tire. Someone going for 35s or 37s is usually on a 17" wheel for offroading. Maybe an 18" stock rim. If you want to be that guy running 24" rims on a 35" tire you're going to be more unique, but that uniqueness will cost you as the demand is lower so prices need to be higher. When they're confident there's 100,000 people who will buy the 17" version they will make the molds and produce a ton of them. When there's 1,000 people looking and your tire may not be the one of choice you're going to make a more limited supply.

That's my thinking at least.

OP
OP
rvillano8188

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Financial Services
There is likely an element of supply/demand on an offroad tire. Someone going for 35s or 37s is usually on a 17" wheel for offroading. Maybe an 18" stock rim. If you want to be that guy running 24" rims on a 35" tire you're going to be more unique, but that uniqueness will cost you as the demand is lower so prices need to be higher. When they're confident there's 100,000 people who will buy the 17" version they will make the molds and produce a ton of them. When there's 1,000 people looking and your tire may not be the one of choice you're going to make a more limited supply.

Thats a fair assessment. I was looking at 20” rim vs 17’s which is not all that uncommon I would think, especially when you start looking at some of the larger full size trucks.

just kinda mad that I want 20’s on 37’s (looking at Venomrex forged and the bigger rim will save weight vs tire) and it would cost me about 450 more for a tire with less rubber for a set

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Thats a fair assessment. I was looking at 20” rim vs 17’s which is not all that uncommon I would think, especially when you start looking at some of the larger full size trucks.

just kinda mad that I want 20’s on 37’s (looking at Venomrex forged and the bigger rim will save weight vs tire) and it would cost me about 450 more for a tire with less rubber for a set
If you think that's bad, go price some Trail Grapplers in 17/40 and then 24/40. $410 vs $790. Granted the 24 is 15.5 and the 17 is 13.5 but that's a serious difference.

Sponsored

Jason Oliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Mohave, '18 Jeep Renegade Trail Hawk
Occupation
Approaching Retirement

This.

Nine Ball

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Entrepreneur
I've owned a wheel/tire business for 15 years. Tire prices are based on supply vs demand, as well as popularity of specific sizes. The more popular sizes are mass-produced, which brings their cost per unit down. You'll also notice when oil prices increase, so do tire prices. Currently tire prices are higher than normal due to backlogged delivery from overseas manufacturers; Low supply.

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
My knee jerk reaction is that if the same width tire has a larger diameter, wouldn't that equal less rubber and less weight, therefore less cost?

School me please.
I'm not understanding one thing how would a larger diameter equal less rubber, wt. and cost. A larger diameter means you have more rubber and wt and so cost.

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
I'm not understanding one thing how would a larger diameter equal less rubber, wt. and cost. A larger diameter means you have more rubber and wt and so cost.
I think he was referring to larger diameter wheel. 37x12.5x17 vs 37x12.5x20 for example.

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
I think he was referring to larger diameter wheel. 37x12.5x17 vs 37x12.5x20 for example.
With the savings in less side wall. Then my guess would be numbers, not as many want thin wheels would be my assumption. What is the advantage of less sidewall?

Sponsored

OP
OP
rvillano8188

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Financial Services
sorry should have been more specific. Meaning a 17 vs a 20, not a 35 vs 37.

ie a 37/12.5/17 is cheaper than a37/12.5/20

OP
OP
rvillano8188

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Financial Services
With the savings in less side wall. Then my guess would be numbers, not as many want thin wheels would be my assumption. What is the advantage of less sidewall?
well a 33 with a 17 rim is actually less sidewall than a 37 on a 20.

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
More sidewall is better for off-road, less sidewall is better for on-road performance because less flex in sidewall improves cornering. Its why sports cars have almost no sidewall - you get that super precise cornering (but with a hard ride).

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
More sidewall is better for off-road, less sidewall is better for on-road performance because less flex in sidewall improves cornering. Its why sports cars have almost no sidewall - you get that super precise cornering (but with a hard ride).
I want to why he wants it on a Jeep.

OP
OP
rvillano8188

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Financial Services
I want to why he wants it on a Jeep.
assuming I’m understanding your kind of question, a 37x17 is cheaper than a 37x20.

a 33x17 actually has less sidewall in theory than a 37x20, so I wanted it because bigger tire sometimes can do a bigger rim and achieve the same goal.

I had Rubi wheels and was looking to achieve the same ratio of wall to tire on my 37’s.
Sponsored