First Name
Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTO
Occupation
Social Extrovert
So I found a wheel I like that would probably be a great match for my sting gray paint, and the website says they will not fit the Gladiator:
Helo 901
Then I look at the wheel size, and wonder why? Maybe it`s the offset? So then I got to Wheel-Size and it shows they fit, with the exception possibly being the offset?
I truly did not know this could get so in the weeds......
Sponsored

Tiny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator SportS, manual, soft top, black
Select the correct bolt pattern and I don't see why not. It states the oe size of 17x7.5 so maybe since this is 17x9 they are saying it doesn't match factory spec?

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Any of the three available sizes in 5 x 127 will fit.

The 17" at -12 will poke out.

Most of those have factory specs plugged in and say they won't work. you have to go by 5 x 5 or 5 x 127 and look for offset and backspace you want.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Good reference for wheel offset and backspacing are the AEV wheels, they are 8.5" wide with correct backspacing. You see lots of Jeeps running wheels that make the tires extend well beyond the fenders, IMO that is a bro dozer looks and functionally has no benefit.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
I just looked it up, the 17 x 9 are the exact same numbers as my DT 1's

Sponsored

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '24 Model X Plaid
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
Good reference for wheel offset and backspacing are the AEV wheels, they are 8.5" wide with correct backspacing. You see lots of Jeeps running wheels that make the tires extend well beyond the fenders, IMO that is a bro dozer looks and functionally has no benefit.
Depends on what you mean by "well beyond". Adding wider tires and a lift that may require a certain backspace will give you some poke. My Metalcloak GC 3.5" requires a 4.5" backspace (I went 4.25" for margin of error). I have 37 x 12.5" tires on 17 x 9" wheels. They stick out about 3.5" That is purely due to a functional reason. Although I actually like a little poke myself.

Jeep Gladiator Why are wheels so hard to figure out? IMG_0608.JPG

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator 80th Anniversary
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Crime fighter.
See if this will help you understand it any:
http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

On the left, you plug in the factory tire, rim, and offset. On the right is the new setup you want.
As an example, I have an 80A, so I have 255/70R18 tires. The rim is 18x7.5 with +44 backspace.
If I swap to a 285/75R17 tire on a 17x8.5 rim with +30 offset, the inside of the tire would be exactly where the inside of the current tire is, however the new tire would stick to the outside 1.1 inches farther (because it’s a wider tire).

OP
OP

it_trailblzr

First Name
Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTO
Occupation
Social Extrovert
I am neither here, nor there on the poke.
It does not offend me in any way to have a poke, and that`s what mud flaps are made for.
At this point, I question the backspace, but if it fits, it fits?

@jjdustr340 it looks like the link you provided shows it would be possible to have some poke depending on tire width, but not going with a wide tire could resolve this fairly easily?

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
It does not offend me in any way to have a poke, and that`s what mud flaps are made for.
The only thing that matters is final backspacing. All the measurements you see between width and offset are just the inputs to get to the final backspace. How much backspace you need depends on how wide your tires are, but for the traditional 12.5" wide generally 4.75"+ is enough. Maybe get away with 4.5". If your tires are narrower you can have less backspace, if they are wider you should add more.

OP
OP

it_trailblzr

First Name
Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTO
Occupation
Social Extrovert
The only thing that matters is final backspacing. All the measurements you see between width and offset are just the inputs to get to the final backspace. How much backspace you need depends on how wide your tires are, but for the traditional 12.5" wide generally 4.75"+ is enough. Maybe get away with 4.5". If your tires are narrower you can have less backspace, if they are wider you should add more.
So then I should be looking for a positive backspace?

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
So then I should be looking for a positive backspace?
Well all backspace is positive. You may be thinking about offset. Some wheels net backspace may be 3.75" others 5.25". 3.75 would work for 10.5" wide tires if thats what you want. But 2" more tire width = 1" more inbound and 1" more outbound... so instead of 3.75 you should use 4.75.

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator 80th Anniversary
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Crime fighter.

@jjdustr340 it looks like the link you provided shows it would be possible to have some poke depending on tire width, but not going with a wide tire could resolve this fairly easily?
Correct. Think of it kind of like this. You have an 8 inch wide tire and 8 inch wide rim. That combo sits even with the fenders. Then, you slap a 10 inch tire on that same rim. Now your tire is 2 inches wider than the rim and will extend 1 inch in each direction, thus having 1 inch of “poke.” In order to eliminate that “poke” you move the mounting surface of the rim (where it bolts up) towards the outside of the wheel well. That makes the entire rim and tire move towards the inside of the wheel well. That is positive offset.

Really hope my explanation didn’t confuse you too much.
Id say play around with that website changing the offset and you’ll get a better grasp of it.

Edit——as the other poster said, backspace really is a better means of determining what wheel fits best.

OP
OP

it_trailblzr

First Name
Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTO
Occupation
Social Extrovert
Sorry, I chose the wrong word in my ineptitude :headbang:
Offset was what I meant. Like I said, in the weeds.
Sponsored